Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2017 10:38:05 AM EDT
Alright guys, a good friend of mine signed me up for a carbine class that will be held in a couple weeks (It was a surprise). Currently I have zero gear. The requirements for the class is a belt or chest rig that can hold 3 AR mags. To be honest, I would prefer a belt because I would like to have my holster on there and a pistol mag or two as my set-up down the road after the class. But for strictly just this class I won't be attaching my pistol or pistol mags, it will just be the 3 AR mags. I was looking at an ATS tactical war belt, I know on there website I can get everything I need as far as mag pouches go. But I kind of like the simple look of a duty belt (something that isn't as wide as a war belt, looks just like a regular belt). Should I just order a condor belt off amazon and their mag pouches just to use for now then upgrade later or is that a waste since its cheap gear? What would you guys recommend for a belt and which mag pouches to go with? I'm open to any ideas. Looking to spend up to $200 at most, thanks for any advice!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
If you already wear a belt mounted holster, then my advice is just grab a couple single mag kydex carriers, or a single multi. It's pretty cheap to get into, its low profile, and reasonably cheap. That's what I typically do.

ETA: this guy is usually pretty fast
Kydex by goodmedicine on ARFCOM
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you already wear a belt mounted holster, then my advice is just grab a couple single mag kydex carriers, or a single multi. It's pretty cheap to get into, its low profile, and reasonably cheap. That's what I typically do.

ETA: this guy is usually pretty fast
Kydex by goodmedicine on ARFCOM
View Quote
I don't have a belt mounted holster, I would like to have a belt I can use for that set-up down the road. I've seen kydex carriers mentioned in other threads and they look good. What would you recommend for the belt?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I used this 1 3/4" for a carbine class with 2 mag carriers, secondary pistol and magazine.

It's also my everyday belt
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I used this 1 3/4" for a carbine class with 2 mag carriers, secondary pistol and magazine.

It's also my everyday belt
View Quote
Yeah I like how this belt looks and the fact I can switch things around yet retain that simple look to it (unlike the war belt). I'm assuming I could just attach a couple kydex mag pouches on there and be good to go? Also is there a difference in going with a 1.5 vs the 1.75?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I got that width because my holsters are 1 3/4" and yes belt mount magazine holders fit nicely.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#6]
After buying and running multiple belts for many years, I have found the very best mini war belt is the Ronin.  I'd put 2 pistol mag carriers carriers (Esstac KWYI) as far forward left as possible on the belt, followed by 2 Emdom universal rifle mag carriers in the next molle slots. They can run 2 mags in one pouch, allow you to draw one, while retaining the other, though you'd never run it like that normally. You can easily run a handgun on the other side, and will want to for weight balance. The only choice for a holster, other than custom Kydex for an odd gun, is Safariland, preferably an ALS locking variety. My use for the belt is a fast donning belt, used with a plate carrier, working as a police Detective, for active shooter, warrant service, raids, etc. So fast to put on, comfortable for long periods, and able to be worn in a vehicle comfortably were most important points for my use.

I have spent so much on tactical gear and own so many belts, pouches, and holsters I forget everything I have sometimes. My suggestion is to buy the good stuff once and don't mess around trying lots of cheap or sub optimal stuff like me. Unless you want multiple hand out war belts for friends covered with sub optimal gea
For example, I have 1.5" Volund G-hook belts, 1.75" Volund G-hook belt, and 2" Volund micro war belt. That's just the Volund stuff. That G-hook is better suited for concealed carry. The wider is better for the role you are considering, but won't fit all pants loops. It's also a bit stiffer and less comfortable. It's not the best minuteman/tactical/class belt for supporting a rifle, pistol, IFAK, flashlight, etc. Putting it through belt loops with pouches and a holster is gonna take 10 minutes, lol threading each belt loop, then through a pouch, then another loop, etc... just shoot me now so I don't go through that every again. For normal wear I have a 5.11 Maverick Assaulters belt I use with a paddle OWB Safariland ALS holster, paddle pistol mag carriers, and other slip on carriers for flashlight, radio, etc. But that stuff is not ideal for rifle and IFAK support. It just makes getting dressed easier.

Personally, I think that ATS war belt is way too big and bulky. It's a small, full sized war belt with 3 molle slots.  I think people run those only out of ignorance or lack of experience with mini/micro war belts, which use a half slot over and under a full negative slot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After buying and running multiple belts for many years, I have found the very best mini war belt is the Ronin.  I'd put 2 pistol mag carriers carriers (Esstac KWYI) <snip>
View Quote
Did/do you have trouble with the KWYIs being too tight (i.e. too hard to extract the mag without it pulling your belt up)?

I like the KWYIs on carriers but have been hesitant to get and try the on a belt since they're so tight.

Others have recommended the Ronin and I am thinking about trying one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#8]
@DevL, Thanks for the recommendation, I'm looking at the warriors belt from Ronin. I'm assuming the only difference between the warriors and shooters belt is just the cobra buckle (according to the website). Is there a specific belt you would recommend from the ones they offer or I should be good with any of em? Also looking at the Emdom mag carriers, I know there are a lot of choices out there for these but why choose the Emdom over something like the kydex mag carriers or the ones that ronin offer? Is it not good to have a pouch that holds 2 30rd mags, why would you not run it like that normally (excuse my ignorance). Is it better to run single 30rd mag pouches over something that holds 2? My points for use are similar to yours although it will mostly be used for classes and if SHTF. It seems I can accomplish all this with the Ronin belt comfortably (2 pistol/2AR or just 3 AR). Like I said before, just for this class the belt will require the use of 3 AR mags, after this class I will most likely be throwing 2 pistol pouches and a holster on there along with keeping 1 AR mag, maybe 2. I agree with buying the good gear so I won't be shuffling through different set-ups a lot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Is it better to run single 30rd mag pouches over something that holds 2? My points for use are similar to yours although it will mostly be used for classes and if SHTF. It seems I can accomplish all this with the Ronin belt comfortably (2 pistol/2AR or just 3 AR). Like I said before, just for this class the belt will require the use of 3 AR mags, after this class I will most likely be throwing 2 pistol pouches and a holster on there along with keeping 1 AR mag, maybe 2. I agree with buying the good gear so I won't be shuffling through different set-ups a lot.
View Quote
I would run 2 seperate ar15 mag pouches; keeping everything close to the body gives you better weight distribution when on the move.  2 ar15 mags is to much for me to carry on a belt but some people can make it work.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did/do you have trouble with the KWYIs being too tight (i.e. too hard to extract the mag without it pulling your belt up)?

I like the KWYIs on carriers but have been hesitant to get and try the on a belt since they're so tight.

Others have recommended the Ronin and I am thinking about trying one.
View Quote
Not even a little. If they are too tight you can heat and adjust tension.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would run 2 seperate ar15 mag pouches; keeping everything close to the body gives you better weight distribution when on the move.  2 ar15 mags is to much for me to carry on a belt but some people can make it work.
View Quote
This... you don't want excess bulk. I run 1 on my belt usually. You are not going to need 7+ mags in a firefight in the United States. Mags are heavy. More than 2 and your pistol no longer compensates for the weight.

Emdom allows you to run more than just a single AR15 mag. That flexibility means I can run AK mags, 308 mags, double AR mags, a radio, or other gear. I run KYWI on my plate carrier pockets. I can remove them easily from my JPC if I need to to run somethin else like a radio, buy since they are fixed width I can't run AK or 308 mags etc. So I have KWYI in chest and Emdom on belt. My GF runs 20 round 5.56 mags and runs KWYI short AR pouches on belt. They are great for 20 or 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top