Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2017 9:36:28 PM EDT
I plan on taking a rifle course sometime next summer and I'm looking into getting a chest rig for the course. I have been looking at the Tactical Tailor Mini MAV and SOE as options. I know SOE doesn't have the best rep here, I'm just looking at what my options are. I want the rig to be able to carry four Ar-15 magazines and a blowout kit.

Any suggestions would be great.

I hope this is the right forum
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Haley Strategic chest rig is GTG.  Kinda small though...

Mayflower rig is pretty much the historical standard for some SOF units back in the day and some more recent...you can see a pic of Kyle Lamb in one in Iraq on the flap of his book.  I have one and it is a good system, but not super modular...and it really doesn't need to be as it is great as is.  

One thing...add the Kydex inserts from Haley Strategic for your mag pouches.  Otherwise, reinserting mags gets tough when the rig is tight.  Plus, you can then run it without the bungee straps which is much faster.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to SKD. They have all sorts of chest rigs that will work for you. Their PIG line uses kydex inserts that hold the mags in tight without having to use the bungee cords.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a bit higher than your 150,  but I bought a 3 mag rig  Variable Objective Chest Rig 3 Mag - Right Handed from AR15 member Eggroll who owns Extreme Gear Labs, for a carbine course I was taking.

It is awesome. Trim and worked great, running, prone, moving.  He makes awesome gear.

Extreme Gear Lab

I think he worked with or for helping Haley create his rigs.  He was great to do business with and would buy his gear again.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
A LGS has High Speed Gear AO chest rig for $60, it is a small.  I am ignorant about chest rigs, don't know anything about them.  

This looks to be a good deal, but you have to outfit with pouches.

I am thinking about getting one.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been in the market for a secondary rig and I've decided on a Spiritus Systems Rig .  It's just under $150 for the configuration I want.  Your configuration should be about the same minus the Blowout Kit.  

I currently run a EGL rig but that is usually for Carbine Courses or if I take another OCONUS gig (nothing high speed but I'm still armed for self defense).  The purpose of this secondary rig will be a vehicle loadout, setup near identical to my EGL rig (as far as IFAK and Mag placement), in a color that's not camo and able to conceal under a light jacket/oversized button up shirt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]
My vote's for the TAG Gladiator Chest Rig with Bib...this rig also accommodates a Camelbak too.

Gladiator Chest Rig
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Man, for what you describe, the Lightweight Chest Rig from Armageddon Gear would be perfect and it's only $100 last I checked. Four mags, MOLLE for your med kit and utility pouch (buying those separately will use the rest of your $150 budget), built-in mesh back pocket for maps/gloves/chemlights, etc.....

http://www.armageddongear.com/Lightweight-AR-Chest-Rig
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#9]
$20 surplus MOLLE II FLC plus whatever pouches you want.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the PIG UCR from SKD,I've had one for a while and been very happy with it.
UCR
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Tactical Tailor is having a sale right now.  I'd buy another mini-mav and pouches if I thought I could wear mine out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I run the Shellback Banshee PC from SKD. Just over your budget but if you can find one on sale i would recommend it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got some High speed gear stuff,  everything I've got from them is high quality, made in America, no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:11:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Picked up one of these a while back.  Although it is not considered "HIGH SPEED" enough for most arfcom operators, it is well made, priced right, has ample storage...  Couldnt really find anything wrong with it.

Added the Bib and the water bladder pack to the rig and it works perfectly!

Condor COYOTE BROWN MCR5 M4 / M9 Mag Holster Rapid Assault Recon Chest Rig

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I've done the 223 and 556 carbine courses at Gunsite (a week each) plus several local courses.  My closet has several cheap vests I've given up on.

My recommendation would be the AO Chest Rig from High Speed Gear at $69:
 http://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/ao-chest-rig-40SCR1.html

You would need to add a few double mag pouches as this is just the chest rig itself.  The double Taco pouches from HSG are excellent, but not cheap.  You could run some less expensive pouches from Amazon on it in the meantime.  I prefer the ones with the flap such as "Tacprogear's" on Amazon, but it is a matter of personal preference.

The advantage of this (minimalist) chest rig is that it sits high on your chest and away from your diaphragm which is a lot more comfortable in prone, kneeling, sitting positions.

Separate from that you want your pistol holster, spare pistol mag and at least one M4 mag pouch on your belt as this is your "primary" pouch you load from.  I would recommend a "Mako Polymer" pouch you can find for about $20 on Amazon as your belt pouch as they are very durable and will fit a regular pants or duty belt.  You could also put a dump pouch on your belt if you want one.

This high chest rig and duty belt combo is very comfortable to shoot with and well within your budget.  Later you can upgrade to Taco pouches and perhaps add a HSG battle belt if you get tired of setting everything up on your pants belt.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I say go simple with something like this, which is what I have and have used at three courses at CSAT. Some guys brought some bad ass chest-rigs, but it was way more than what was needed. This Eagle chest rig is cool as you can expand capacity with HSGI Tacos or go to an H-harness config via an SKD Pig H-harness conversion. I say start simple at the beginning, as you may buy something that is just too much.

Attachment Attached File

EAGLE CHEST RIG
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#18]
For class & casual range use, I've been pleasantly surprised by how well Condor's latest offerings have worked out.
I've used the rig shown above w/no complaints, and have recently started experimenting w/their modular chest rigs for shotgun/AR use:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tomac
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top