Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2017 3:00:02 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've got a pretty tough request. I have an A1 handguard and I'm looking for a way to mount a bipod on it. The closest thing I can find to what I want is an XM106 type bipod, but being a prototype weapon that was never put into production, i doubt there are any floating around. Does anyone have any ideas for a small rail or stud that can be attached, or some other bipod mounting system?

A little extra information, I have a custom, octagonal barrel and a low profile gas block with no mounting options, so a traditional A1 bipod is out of the realm of possibility.

http://i.imgur.com/B6v3aMG.jpg
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at the clamp type Colt 62122 and M3 bipods?

There are low pro gas blocks with picatinny rails (under) and ones with bayonet lugs. Either one will help you accomplish mounting a bipod. Neither one should be too expensive.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you considered the XM3 style bipod? You can find them on gunbroker and ebay, perhaps other places, too. No extra parts or modifications.

Not my picture.

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you considered the XM3 style bipod? You can find them on gunbroker and ebay, perhaps other places, too. No extra parts or modifications.

Not my picture
View Quote
That won't work, let me show you what im working with

http://i.imgur.com/B6v3aMG.jpg
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
A different gas block is a viable option, but I'd really hate to switch the one I have, considering I've done custom fitting work on it. A new gas block would mean a new custom milled barrel. I've got some non-standard bullshit going on.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#5]
So, why can't you just drill and tap some holes, in the bottom half of the gas block, and screw a section of rail or bipod stud to it?

Need more pics of rifle
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont have enough meat on my gas block for a good thread bite, not one I'm comfortable with anyways. Plus, the botton of the block has two set screws already in it that pin the block to my barrel. (One 1/8" and one 1/4") I don't have any more space to thread holes. I think i may just sandbag the rifle, its a range queen anyways. Ive posted a link to one of my other posts that has pictures of the build. Im still open to ideas, but i may have a new barrel made down the road, and buy a gas block with a rail on the bottom.

Jackmulderig's AR-15
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#7]
If your wood handguards have the same size/style/location of vent holes in the bottom at the synthetic hand guards do this one might work for you.

I actually used one of these for my M1A GI stock to put a bipod on it.  Worked great.

shooter-s-ridge-ar-15-adaptor-for-shooters-ridge-bipods
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I dont have enough meat on my gas block for a good thread bite[/url]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I dont have enough meat on my gas block for a good thread bite[/url]
If there is enough meat for the set screws, there's plenty for a bipod stud. Besides, you have a total of 8 clamping screws on the sides of the gas block. Those 2 set screws are doing nothing. Take them out and install a rail section or bipod stud.
The sandbags are a viable option and I prefer them to a bipod. However, if you wish to use a bipod, I think you can totally make it happen.

Very nice rifle, btw.

Quoted: this one might work for you.[/url]
The handguards are right and left, not top and bottom. Getting that piece to stay there, while you get the other handguard in might be tricky. Plus, you might need a piece of leather, between the two, so not to scratch that purdy wood.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Error
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If your wood handguards have the same size/style/location of vent holes in the bottom at the synthetic hand guards do this one might work for you.
View Quote
You know what, I already own one of those, but never knew what the hell it was for. It came with a bipod I had ordered for another project years ago. Now I have to find it amohngst my hoard of miscellaneous parts and see if I can make it work. It may take some jerryrigging, but I'm pretty handy. Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#11]
If you think the 8 screws provide enough clamping force to keep the block from rotating, I'll order a similar gas block with a railed bottom. I was worried that without the set screws, and the torque from a bipod mounted on it, that Id have some twisting going on. Its worth a shot I guess, I could always drill and tap a hole through the new gas block's rail and put a set screw in it to put my mind at ease.

Im gonna try what M1A4ME suggested first, because I happen to already own one of those mounts. I wil put some leather or felt in between the metal and wood though like you suggested, I spent too long putting the varnish on those jamdguards to mess them up.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top