Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2017 6:30:06 PM EDT
Can someone who has experience with both please let me know their thoughts on both reticles? For example I love the EOTECH reticle, I'm faster with it, it's easier on my eye. I can only compare it to a bushnell trs25 and a truglo trutec (basically a holosun 403).

I just want to know if they are similar or if the eotech is different. I know the eotech has a 1 MOA dot and the Holosun circle will have a 2. But if both function and look the same that is really what I'm trying to find out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The Holosun circle/dot is much better than the dot alone, but it's no comparison to an Eotech reticle. Two completely different technologies. Eotech uses a laser projected onto a film that produces a hologram that seems to float out in the space between the gun and the target. The Holosun uses a simple LED like all the other dots.

I've owned numerous Eotechs, and bought my son a Holosun 503 series circle/dot for his AK a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I def realize it's different technologies.

If an Eotech was 10/10 reticle, and a holosun dot was 1/10 ... where would you say the holo circle dot would land?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#3]
7, with other dots being a 3.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Let me add, of all the LED powered sights I've tried with a dot, it's the top for me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I def realize it's different technologies.

If an Eotech was 10/10 reticle, and a holosun dot was 1/10 ... where would you say the holo circle dot would land?
View Quote
4/10. The ability to switch between dot and reticle is a great feature that more red dots should adopt. That said, the limiting factor on holosuns, like Aimpoints, is the small objective lens and slight tint. Eotech will always be much faster.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Got ya ... I might be waiting for another EOTECH then. Because also I was out shooting my truglo trutec yesterday and I also noticed this glare, and red lines within the sight when it was combined with the bright light of the sun.

Now how about the holosun 510C .. is that basically an EOTECH clone? I couldn't find any  good info on it, but it looks like it's more of the holographic technology than the traditional red dot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
When the sun or other light source is behind you, holosuns have a red emitter glare that blocks half the optic from being used. I have two holosuns and have returned two as well... some are worse than others.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got ya ... I might be waiting for another EOTECH then. Because also I was out shooting my truglo trutec yesterday and I also noticed this glare, and red lines within the sight when it was combined with the bright light of the sun.

Now how about the holosun 510C .. is that basically an EOTECH clone? I couldn't find any  good info on it, but it looks like it's more of the holographic technology than the traditional red dot.
View Quote
It's not really a hologram. It looks good, but it'd still LED diodes, so it's not a holograph.

The new Vortex Optics Razor UH1 AMG holographic sight, is the only one on the market other than Eotech that I'm aware of. It is the same tech as the Eotech, same method of imagery, just a tad different, supposed to be a bit better, but it's too new to really know.  It's also $499, so.

The cost of building a true holographic sight is high, they will always be in that range.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When the sun or other light source is behind you, holosuns have a red emitter glare that blocks half the optic from being used. I have two holosuns and have returned two as well... some are worse than others.
View Quote
Yes, their exposed emitter could use a shroud. On my 510, I usually see the circuit board splashed up on the screen if the sun hits it just right.  
A buddy's pic:

Having said that, I like my Holosun a lot. It has the same great FOV as the EOTech and you can switch between the circle dot or single dot, my preferred reticle.  Plus, I never turn it off due to its long battery life and auto shutoff.  I shot it in 115 degree heat 3 days in a row at Safariland Vegas and it kept on trucking.

PS. This should be posted in the Optics sub forum
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I've owned an EXPS 2-0 and currently own a Holosun ACSS.

The EOtech EXPS Reticle:  10/10... visually, the best circle dot reticle I've had the pleasure of owning; the reticle comes in clear and fine.
The Holosun ACSS Reticle: 7/10...  visually, the reticle is blocky and thick (compared to the EXPS); also you can see the LED projector sometimes.

I personally prefer the Holosun due to the weight savings and low profile; while the reticle is not pristine it is usable and just as fast as my EOTech.  If the reticle is worth the size of the EXPS then go for it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
A lot of good info here. And yea glad I'm not the only one w the emitter glare in sunlight. Also good to know about the 510c

I have no idea how this isn't in the optics forum I could have sworn I posted it in there.

I agree about the weight savings. It is pretty huge. We'll see what I end up doing. I may just be sticking w the eotech s unless I see someone else's holo circle dot and get sold on it.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top