Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/28/2017 12:30:58 PM EDT
The hard plastic buttstock on the AR15 chews up my shoulder and it's all bruised after a day of shooting. Need something with a softer buttpad like BCM or Magpul's MOE SL Carbine Stock or CTR Carbine Stock (don't know the difference between commercial or MIL-Spec stock - I have a Colt 6960 - if I went with Magpul, do I need the commercial one or MIL-Spec one? ).

What is the best valued one, I don't want to spend $70?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at the buffer tube end to determine mil spec or not.  Mil spec will be straight, non mil spec is slanted.  You could get a new stock, or you can get a limbsaver pad that fits a traditional military style stock.

Edit:
http://www.ar15fornoobs.com/wp-content/uploads/Buffertube_Specs.jpg
View Quote
Cool. Thanks, the pic really explains it. I wish everyone just did straight mil-spec. Any benefit to having the back slanted?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The slant is not definitive. The question is the diameter of the tube and there are tubes in both diameters both with and without the slant. The only purpose to the slant is to look better with an M4 style stock on it fully collapsed.

If you have a factory Colt you have a mil-spec size buffer tube.

As for stocks, the MOE SL is a good choice in a more standard style stock. The CTR is also a good stock, and even has a cushion type rubber buttpad available (I'm not sure it it fits on the MOE SL or not).

Something else to consider if you've never tried one is one of the larger "cheekweld" type stocks. A larger, more comfortable cheekweld might help you keep a more stable stockweld. I like the SOPMOD/Crane type stock for this application.

Quoted:
I wish everyone just did straight mil-spec.
View Quote
In the old days the manufacturing method used for the mil spec stocks was a lot more complex and expensive. The commercial size stocks were much easier and less expensive to manufacture. With the manufacturing that is available now there is not as much of a price difference.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
How about a slip-on recoil pad?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How about a slip-on recoil pad?
View Quote
Thanks for the idea, but don't want to do that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Limbsaver makes a very soft recoil pad that attaches to the back of a number of Magpul buttstocks. I have one on my wife's AR and she loves it.
Limbsaver Recoil Pad for Magpul Buttstocks

Tomac
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Limbsaver makes a very soft recoil pad that attaches to the back of a number of Magpul buttstocks. I have one on my wife's AR and she loves it.
Limbsaver Recoil Pad for Magpul Buttstocks

Tomac
View Quote
This post nails it as the Limbsaver pad work well, very well.  Put one on an un-shootable 30-06 that had an awful bite and the LS turned it into a completely different feeling rifle, place them on several 12ga shotguns and would never go back as well as a 300 wsm that was a joy to shoot.  Their customer service is good too, had one that deteriorated somewhat after using it for maybe 8 years and they replaced it no questions asked.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a .300 with the Magpul CTR + enhanced butt pad. It shoots almost as soft as a 10/22. Amazing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Adaptive Tactical for $35 at Joe Bobs Outfitters.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the strike industries viper stock and put their aftermarket softer rubber pad on it, I love it and its nice on the shoulder
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 to SL. Hands down the best stock Magpul has put out yet
I used to like the CTR. Thankfully there's a bunch of guys who are scared to try something less sexy looking so I got almost purchase price for the 3 CTR's when I sold em and replaced them with SL's orSL-K's
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The B5 stock has a softer pad than my Magpul STR.
The mil-spec B5 stock, my personal current favorite, should run around $55.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top