Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/6/2017 5:24:03 PM EDT
This actually comes from friend of mine, so I'll try to describe his situation accurately.

He has firearms he never shoots, and doesn't have room for a full-blown gun safe.

Now, the setup is that we all know how bad it is to store firearms in a plastic foam-lined case due to moisture issues.

His solution is to get one of these CaseCruzer watertight cases.

http://www.guncruzer.com/m4/4-pack/4pack-index.html

Supposedly it has an o-ring around the lid, and the EPDM material has an indefinite shelf life. To boot, it also has automatic purge valves which equalize air pressure changes, yet do not allow moisture in (they also do not allow moisture out and so the manufacturer recommends you store your firearms with a couple of desiccants). The manufacturer claims this case is extremely durable and impervious to water, dust, etc.

I'm not sure if this is the exact case he wants to order, but it meets all the specs he quoted, and I looked at it thinking it's pretty cool.

My answer to him was: "I'm old school. To me a gun safe with goldenrod or desiccants is the way to go. A plastic case is a plastic case as far as I'm concerned."

After reading up on this and similar cases, though, I'm beginning to think this one might actually be different and that's why I'm running it past you guys before I tell my buddy, "NO, don't order one."

What do you think?

I think it would make a helluva case for a long range day where you might shoot multiple firearms, but long-term storage? I don't know.

Burglary considerations aside (another issue), do you think a case with the features claimed would be good for long term storage, as long as one puts dessiccants in the case to catch any moisture that might happen to be trapped inside when you seal it up?

I've read various threads on the net, and the responses range the full gamut from "my guns rusted" to "I live in a humid area and I've had no problems in X number of years."
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#1]
How is that any different than a pelican?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi DocGlockster,

I have something similar, a pelican, but as far as I can see it's the same thing. I live in SoCal, not too far from the coast. I have transported guns in the case before, and kept them in the case for up to three days. I know that's far from long term, but I did not have any rust problems.

I always throw in disicant with my guns.

For what it's worth, and I really don't know if what I am about to describe is an indicator of anything good or bad, but I did notice that my guns would have the lube/oils from inside the gun come to the surface. Sort of like guns stored in factory foam cases.

Again, I don't know if that's an indicator of moisture in the foam, or just the disicant pulling moisture from the gun. I never really pay too much attention to it since my guns are never in there for "long term". It's just something that I did notice.

For transportation they're great. They do keep water out for sure, I drove home with the case on the back of the truck in pouring rain with nothing getting inside, but that water proof seal is no good if there's moisture in the foam from the start.

I did see that there were closed cell foam inserts for these cases a while back. Apparently this eliminated the issue of moisture being trapped in open cell foam, but it's something I didn't look too far into.

I'll look when I get home but I had some large plastic bags and desicant packets made specifically for storing guns, they came in different sizes from pistol to rifle. They're basically big rifle sized zip loc bags. I'll look at the brand name and let you know. Perhaps your friend can seal the guns in a plastic bag with some desicant packs, and then put them in the plastic pelican/guncruzer.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top