Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/26/2017 11:39:22 PM EDT
I've got an 18" varmint setup with a free floated troy alpha rail.  Finally getting off my ass and need a bipod before I go prairie dog shooting beginning of June.  

What's a good setup for a bipod.  Looking for recommendations on mount and the bipod itself.  I don't need anything quick detach.  Bipod height would be one suitable for shooting from a seated position.  If there's one suitable for that and bencheck shooting it'd be a plus, but most I've seem are suited for only bench/prone or seated position.  

Pictures are always a plus.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:57:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Harris bipod, ftw.  You can pay more for others and less for some but the benchmark, the standard, the default, the old reliable (IMHO) is and always will be the Harris.  Look for the one with the swivel/cant adjustment option, put a Pod-lock on it and call it done.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Harris bipod, ftw.  You can pay more for others and less for some but the benchmark, the standard, the default, the old reliable (IMHO) is and always will be the Harris.  Look for the one with the swivel/cant adjustment option, put a Pod-lock on it and call it done.
View Quote
what they said
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree on Harris, for the price.  I build military replica guns, so Harris is the bipod of choice there.  Personally, I like the Tango Down best, next the Atlas.  You will pay $80 more for Tango Down, as it comes with a 1913 rail adapter.  Another $100 beyond that for Atlas with mount.

As to mounts, ADM, ARMS and LaRue are all good.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#4]
If you will be shooting on the ground in the wild I would get a 9-13" swivel Harris with notch legs. S-LM I think is the model.

On my ARs I just drill for a sling stud to mount the Harris, my float tubes are smooth.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:38:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Seated? You want a TRIPOD not a BIPOD. Your wallet is going to hurt. I'd suggest either a large carbon fiber made in China unit run with legs collapsed for seated and use a Really Right Stuff rail adapter on gun and a China made leveling mount or aluminum Manfroto and their QD system direct to rifle (less optimal) but not a Hog Saddle or intermediate option due to movement. Anything less and you will be getting up into 1 MOA and above type capability. Still a Harris BRMS and a rear bag prone is easily a sub 1/2 MOA solution. But you said seated so... that means no bipod.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a Peleton Tiptop bipod.  Really impressed with the design and quality of this bipod.  I did a lot of research and didn't think spending $150+ for an Atlas or Harris was necessary.  Spending more on barrels, triggers, BCG, sights, etc., yes.

mm
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I ended up getting the GG&G XDS-2 QD bipod, and never looked back. Actually weighs less than my Harris, has a LOT more solid feel, and is more adjustable. Looks good, too. A bit pricey, but not as bad as an Atlas. About the same as a comparable Harris with adapter.

EDIT: I also have an Accu-Shot monopod on the stock, and the combination works extremely well in the field or off of actual shooting benches.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You should also take a look at the ATLAS V8 Bipod.

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_new/43-v8-atlas-bipods

(Not my pictures):

You can easily add 3 inch leg extensions when you need additional length.

Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]
IWC used to make a stud mount for the alpha rail but I don't see it on their site.

I don't use my bipod on that rifle very often so it's nice that the stud is fairly minimal, no chunk of rail on the bottom.

I have the short Harris bipod, with swivel, without notches.  It works for me when I need it.  I couldn't see paying hundreds of dollars for something else when the Harris works well and was around $90.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd recommend a tripod as well.  Much more versatile out in the field.  I use a Bog Pod that I bought for around $100.  It is very sturdy and not too heavy.  I made a simple sling for it to carry over my back while moving.  I can sit, kneel and the biggest bonus is stand if the ground or grass has some elevation changes that require a taller position.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
For sitting or standing, a pivoting tripod. For prone or bench a true Harris.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top