Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 4:30:43 PM EDT
So, I've read a few things about the padded VCAS slings not being able to be made short enough.  Is this actually the case?

Also, any opinions on VCAS vs VTAC padded/unpadded slings?

I'm trying to decide between a padded or unpadded one for my SBR and my 16" middy.

Trying to figure out if the extra $10 is worth it/necessary.

Also, any reason to upgrade to metal hardware for a non-military/LE user?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is relevant to my interests.  Getting ready to buy some slings.  Am leaning towards unpadded.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread is relevant to my interests.  Getting ready to buy some slings.  Am leaning towards unpadded.
View Quote
If it's anything like the padded magpul I had to squeeze every bit out of EVERY connection point to get it small enough. This is definitely an area when non padded slogs excel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, I've read a few things about the padded VCAS slings not being able to be made short enough.  Is this actually the case?
Also, any opinions on VCAS vs VTAC padded/unpadded slings?
I'm trying to decide between a padded or unpadded one for my SBR and my 16" middy.
Trying to figure out if the extra $10 is worth it/necessary.
Also, any reason to upgrade to metal hardware for a non-military/LE user?
Thanks!
View Quote

Love the VCAS padded or not, never a problem with length and metal hardware is a no brainer but not necessary.

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Love the VCAS padded or not, never a problem with length and metal hardware is a no brainer but not necessary.

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/sniper907/_A156461.jpg
View Quote
Thank you, sir!  Im thinking maybe I should just pick up one of each.

I'm curious, even at $20 extra for metal adjusters do you think it's a no brainer? At $5-$10 bucks, I get it...but $20 is just under half the price of the sling...for 5 metal adjusters?!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm curious, even at $20 extra for metal adjusters do you think it's a no brainer? At $5-$10 bucks, I get it...but $20 is just under half the price of the sling...for 5 metal adjusters?!
View Quote
The "plastic" adjusters are a delrin based compound and will not fail.
But of course I like metal, thanks to flying "economy" hanging from a helo once by the rifle sling, but both types are fine I assure you.
I have both and like them very much.
They do make a SAW sling which has a nomex end for protection from machine gun barrels, I may get one for my M-78 Valmet, but not needed on ARs with long rails.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab302/sniper907/_A156461.jpg

The plastic buckles are fine.

Unpadded is preferable for a carbine.

imo.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The "plastic" adjusters are a delrin based compound and will not fail.
But of course I like metal, thanks to flying "economy" hanging from a helo once by the rifle sling, but both types are fine I assure you.
I have both and like them very much.
They do make a SAW sling which has a nomex end for protection from machine gun barrels, I may get one for my M-78 Valmet, but not needed on ARs with long rails.
View Quote
Well that would make me like metal, as well! . Thanks, again, for the input.  I think I'll stick with the "plastic".
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:37:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Padded or unpadded depends on 3 factors for most folks:

- will you be wearing a vest? If yes, no padding necessary

- if the rifle might get slung without a vest; how long will you be humping that rifle? How heavy is it? The weight of the rifle x duration of carry will determine comfort level required for each particular individual.

- how big are you? I'm assuming you'll be using it in 2-point config. With my 44" chest, there's enough adjustment on the padded sling to shorten it enough while not wearing a vest. If chest measurement is significantly smaller and the sling might be used without a vest, you might need unpadded for more adjustment range

Max

P.S. I have 5 of these on different long guns and they're all padded. As mentioned, I have enough adjustment range to shorten it sufficiently even when not wearing a vest and it's significantly more comfortable if I have to sling a long gun without a vest for an extended period of time.

Love the ease/speed of length adjustments on the VCAS without leaving dangly\floppy snag hazards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the reply, Max.

I'm about a 41-42 inch chest and won't be wearing a vest...at this point.  My 16" is what I'm most concerned about because I'll be using it for hunting.  I will sling it and walk with it, but not for more than an hour, maybe two, at a time.

I'm sure my SBRs will be fine without a pad, and it might be more likely that I'd have a vest on while using those.

Is using the padded version with a vest a PITA, or just not neeeded because the vest is padding?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't notice any significant downsides to using the padded slings with my vests which is why all mine are padded, so they're comfortable with or without a vest.

To answer your question, yes, the shoulder pads/straps of most vests are generally stiff enough that they spread the load over a wider area so the padding on a sling doesn't make much difference comfort-wise.

As I didn't find the sling padding a hindrance when used with a vest, I opt for padded as it's more comfortable when I do sling a long gun without a vest.

Max

P.S. figured I should mention, another factor in how much you'll need to shorten the sling is where your 2 mounting points are located and how far apart they are.

The 5 padded VCAS slings I have go on different long guns from AR's to SCARs a Tavor and a Benelli M4.

With the closest mounting points, I am close to maxing out the adjustment buckles to get a snug shortened length when worn without a vest, but it's fine.

If you get the version with the Cobra quick release buckle, that section adds length. It's an added factor (and cost) that's unnecessary if you use any kind of QD attachments (whether it's push-button or HK) as opposed to setting it up hard-slung (no QD ability).

Hard-slung (sling looped through slots/attachment points) can use up some length so adjusting it short enough will be less of a problem. Long enough hasn't been an issue for guys with 50"+ chests, unless they're ginormous gorillas.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd personally go unpadded.  I had 3 padded VCAS and really wished they were the unpadded version.  Didn't seem like needed the padding and it made the sling wider and potentially hung up more.  Down to just one since I've been moving to the VTAC Bungee sling.  

Now if only BFG would make a bungee VCAS I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a padded VCAS two weeks ago and at 5'11"/180lbs/tailored 44" chest, I am not able to take out enough length for it to be completely comfortable.  Thinking about taking out a triglide and trimming some material.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I didn't notice any significant downsides to using the padded slings with my vests which is why all mine are padded, so they're comfortable with or without a vest.

To answer your question, yes, the shoulder pads/straps of most vests are generally stiff enough that they spread the load over a wider area so the padding on a sling doesn't make much difference comfort-wise.

As I didn't find the sling padding a hindrance when used with a vest, I opt for padded as it's more comfortable when I do sling a long gun without a vest.

Max

P.S. figured I should mention, another factor in how much you'll need to shorten the sling is where your 2 mounting points are located and how far apart they are.

The 5 padded VCAS slings I have go on different long guns from AR's to SCARs a Tavor and a Benelli M4.

With the closest mounting points, I am close to maxing out the adjustment buckles to get a snug shortened length when worn without a vest, but it's fine.

If you get the version with the Cobra quick release buckle, that section adds length. It's an added factor (and cost) that's unnecessary if you use any kind of QD attachments (whether it's push-button or HK) as opposed to setting it up hard-slung (no QD ability).

Hard-slung (sling looped through slots/attachment points) can use up some length so adjusting it short enough will be less of a problem. Long enough hasn't been an issue for guys with 50"+ chests, unless they're ginormous gorillas.
View Quote
Great info!  Thanks again, Max
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd personally go unpadded.  I had 3 padded VCAS and really wished they were the unpadded version.  Didn't seem like needed the padding and it made the sling wider and potentially hung up more.  Down to just one since I've been moving to the VTAC Bungee sling.  

Now if only BFG would make a bungee VCAS I'd buy that in a heartbeat.  
View Quote
Good to know!  Curious...why the love for the bungee sling over non-bungee?  Is it a single-point?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good to know!  Curious...why the love for the bungee sling over non-bungee?  Is it a single-point?
View Quote
2 point bungee is what I use.  

The bungee helps take the impact off your neck/back while walking or moving and the rifle is bouncing around and is less irritating for me at least.  Also, the tubular bungee section of the sling just seems to slide around better during reloads.  You also get some forgiveness if the sling is tightened down but you need to used he rifle.  The bungee has plenty of give to allow you to shoulder the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The bungee helps take the impact off your neck/back while walking or moving and the rifle is bouncing around and is less irritating for me at least.  Also, the tubular bungee section of the sling just seems to slide around better during reloads.  You also get some forgiveness if the sling is tightened down but you need to used he rifle.  The bungee has plenty of give to allow you to shoulder the rifle.  
View Quote
Hmm, might need to check on if those out!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmm, might need to check one if those VTAC bungees out!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Duplicate
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#19]
How come they don't made QD versions?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
QD models of what?  Both the VCAS and VTAC have open ends that you can attach whatever you want, or just thread them through slots on the buttstock.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Somehow I ended up with an A.R.M.S. Swan sling and it's the first bungee sling I ever had, but works pretty dang nice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is using the padded version with a vest a PITA, or just not neeeded because the vest is padding?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've been using various VCAS slings for about 5 years, and I found that the padded version had an annoying habit of catching on the seams on the back of my IOTV body armor as I handled the weapon. The seam at either end of the pad would snag on my armor and create a "hitch" in the movement of the weapon, preventing the sling from sliding smoothly across my back. I found it annoying enough that I switched to only using the non-padded version with armor.

Quoted:
They do:

Vickers Push Button Slings

Vickers 221 Sling
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top