Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2017 10:42:23 PM EDT
Using a Magpul MS4 as an example... My understanding is that when wearing a 1 pt. sling, as aright handed shooter, the portion of the strap that is connected to the rifle should come up and go over the top of your right shoulder, around your back, and then underneath your left armpit and connect to the sling. When transitioning from shooting off of your right shoulder to your left, the butt stock interferes with the the sling. I have to point the muzzle downward to clear it.

But if I wear it improperly (from my understanding)  where the portion of the sling attached to the gun goes under my right armpit, up my back and over my left shoulder, transitions seem easier. I can slide the butt stock across my chest without the interference of the sling.This is what I prefer at the moment. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Guys I know just  put a caribener D- ring on the right shoulder snap the sling in it & shorten it so the rifle won't hit them in the crotch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Wearing the sling under your right shoulder and wearing your pistol on your right will lead to making it difficult to draw your secondary weapon.

ETA for clarity.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:17:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys I know just  put a caribener D- ring on the right shoulder snap the sling in it & shorten it so the rifle won't hit them in the crotch.
View Quote

I have a vagina.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:21:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wearing the sling under your right shoulder and wearing your pistol on your right will lead to making it difficult to draw your secondary weapon.

ETA for clarity.
View Quote

That's an interesting idea. Playing around tonight, I noticed that I like 2 pt, over right shoulder so if they're opposite, it makes it harder to go back and forth. I’ll probably be carrying 2 pt. anyways since I’m hunting and not playing Army. I'll throw on a pistol holster and see if they interfere.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have a vagina.
View Quote
vagina is still located in your crotch
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:48:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's an interesting idea. Playing around tonight, I noticed that I like 2 pt, over right shoulder so if they're opposite, it makes it harder to go back and forth. I’ll probably be carrying 2 pt. anyways since I’m hunting and not playing Army. I'll throw on a pistol holster and see if they interfere.
View Quote

This is also how I do it (and MANY others). 2pt over right shoulder allows you to drop the rifle (it will swing to your left, out of the way of a right side pistol), and you can also swing it completely to your backside by simply pushing on the buttstock as you press on down/back on the handguard (frees up your hands quick). It's also just as quick to reverse by reaching under your left arm and grabbing the buttstock to pull it back to your front side.
It's by favorite carry method (especially with a cinch sling such as an MS1) so you can tighten it to your back, or loosen it up for shooting quickly.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Run single point slings on nearly all long guns.  Most are Magpuls.  I am right handed and always slip left arm into the "loop".  Keeps the weapon out of the way of my sidearm when I sling and still easy to put to either shoulder.  Ymmv.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top