Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2017 4:36:15 PM EDT
Hello, all! I finally have obtained my first AR15 after years of pining for one. While I'm not exactly a stranger to the AR15, I've never had the opportunity to work with one in my hands (outside of a quick hold in a gun shop), so I've been familiarizing myself with it a bit more and putting what I've learned to the test. If anyone wants to see my new rifle.... http://imgur.com/a/77tyQ

However, my right hand quickly noticed something was actually quite uncomfortable. The pistol grip. My biggest complaint with the grip is where my middle finger contacts the lower receiver becomes very uncomfortable in a hurry with any degree of movement, unless a person decides to wear gloves; which I do intend on doing. I also noticed that, with or without gloves, the A2 grip is a tad small for my personal preference. Overall, it really doesn't fit in my hand as much as I would like; but not unusable.

I found one grip that I'm interested in, but I can't seem to find many reviews on it, outside of that on the product page. http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=izua5ir8f200zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Fgrip-parts%2Fpistol-grips%2Funiversal-pistol-grip-polymer-black-sku100004712-32495-56248.aspx
I really like the ability to swap out the different inserts which have finger groves and a portion on the rear back-strap to fit into my palm. Given I can't find any outside info, I'm a little hesitant to go for it, considering it could be junk. That being said, I have ordered several products from Brownells in recent months to much success.

I have also given consideration to the Magpul MIAD. I like the idea of having some lubricant on hand, should I need to give it a quick cleaning at the range. However, one downside of the MIAD, in my eyes, is that the included backstraps don't appear to be quite as hand-fitting as the Command Arms grip.

What are your thoughts? Is the Command Arms grip any good?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
MIAD with the built in trigger guard insert was my choice as it removes the sometimes offending gap between the grip and std trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Magpul offers nice grips, however when comfort is king, I like Ergo grips. They feel SO good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#3]
A few tips on brands to avoid on an ar-15. Take it or leave it.

CAA

Blackhawk

Tapco

Nc star

UTG (UTG PRO is good to go)

Strike industries (subjective)

Mako group

ATI

Good luck to you
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A few tips on brands to avoid on an ar-15. Take it or leave it.

CAA

Blackhawk

Tapco

Nc star

UTG (UTG PRO is good to go)

Strike industries (subjective)

Mako group

ATI

Good luck to you
View Quote

There is a Ergo grip that has Blackhawks name on it that they sell.  It is the same shape but has a slightly different texture.  I prefer the Ergo branded texture but the Blackhawk version is usually half the cost.

OP.... if you're not dead set on all those extra front and back straps, the BCM Mid 3 is a nice grip if you prefer a wider grip.  It does not have finger grooves.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a fan of the Larue grips. They fill my hand nicely
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you. All good things to consider, however I have one inquiry.

What specifically about CAA makes 'em worth avoiding? Shoddy QC, parts don't like to fit, etc? I really do like one of the grips they make, at least as far as I can tell from photos, but if it's junk then obviously I'd rather not waste that cash on junk.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you. All good things to consider, however I have one inquiry.

What specifically about CAA makes 'em worth avoiding? Shoddy QC, parts don't like to fit, etc? I really do like one of the grips they make, at least as far as I can tell from photos, but if it's junk then obviously I'd rather not waste that cash on junk.
View Quote
Don't know about the grip, but I've got one off their flip up rear sights and it's very cheaply made.  Feels flimsy, doesn't lock down as quickly as it should, difficult to switch apertures, and when you switch apertures the piece containing the aperture spins on the windage screw which changes the poi.  

I'm glad it's just a backup to a red dot and never gets used.  When I get some spare cash it will be replaced.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
The Blackhawk grip that looks similar to Egro is about where the similarities end, not remotely the same when put into use.  When I first saw one I thought it may be a nice compromise but after taking it out of the packaging I quickly back tracked to a magpul as it oozed cheap knockoff from china.  The BH didn't even make it way onto a lower and was tossed into my attic box.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Grip choice is highly subjective and comes down to preference on size, angle, back strap, etc.  

I will echo that I wouldn't run CAA anything on any of my guns, that's mall ninja stuff.  Look at magpul, BCM, ergo, tango down.  Tango down and BCM both make grips with a piece that covers the trigger guard gap.  I run BCM mod0 on all of my guns.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#10]
MIAD has different thickness straps.  Very adaptable.  Also run it with or without A2 type finger groove.  Lots of storage module options inside.  I really like mine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Ergo sure grip is my favorite. Throw them on every AR
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Love my MIAD grip because of the interchangeable front and back straps and the storage core. Can't beat it, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I wanted to like CAA.  I picked up one of their vertical grips because I liked the shape.  I broke in about two weeks of simple range use.

Get the MIAD.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a fan of the Larue grips. They fill my hand nicely
View Quote
I tried a few and settled on the Larue also.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The Ergo 4045 grip. If you have large hands or like a grip that fills your hand this is the one. Every AR that I build gets one. When somebody shoots one of my AR's that is the first thing they comment on is how comfortable the grip is.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Having owned dozens of grips, been a prototype tester for grips, and tried alsmost every grip ever made, this is my advice...

1. Don't put anything in your grip. Put it in your range bag or rifle bag... You dont need lube in your grip so bad it need to be there... or anything for that matter. Its a fad/gee whiz factor and the novelty wears off. I have a half dozen MIAD, several MOE etc. tons of grip core inserts... I run nothing in them after many years of tying different stuff in there.

2. Get a more vertical grip angle.

3. Get a BCM trigger guard or a BCM Mod 3 grip. In your case, get a Mod 3 grip due to hand size and use the insert that protects your middle finger knuckle.

4. Stay away from anything CAA... it is all crap in one way or another.

5. Thank me for saving you years of headache and hundreds of wasted dollars on trying different grips.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1. Don't put anything in your grip. Put it in your range bag or rifle bag... You dont need lube in your grip so bad it need to be there... or anything for that matter. Its a fad/gee whiz factor and the novelty wears off. I have a half dozen MIAD, several MOE etc. tons of grip core inserts... I run nothing in them after many years of tying different stuff in there.

2. Get a more vertical grip angle.

View Quote
I disagree with #1. I store spare bolt parts (spare bolt, FP, FPRP, cam pin) in all of my closed grips. You don't want that stuff rattling around in a bag. I also store one 3ml dropper bottle of lube and a CR2032 battery in mine as well. All of which is "emergency" stuff... you forget about it until one day you might need it (bag or not, it'll be there in your grip).

#2 I totally agree with. The days of bladed "chicken wing" shooting (for combat weapons) are OVER. There is absolutely zero need for the steep angle A2 type grip, and it only serves as a hindrance for shooting more squared up (as most do now).
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top