Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2017 1:54:43 PM EDT
I have a 6920 that I configured as a replica M4 with the KAC RAS, Aimpoint CompM4, VTac sling, and so on. I removed the clunky Colt front sling attachment because it was annoying, wobbly and noisy. What would've been an alternative in the field? I don't want to use anything too new, or at least nothing that came out after the M4A1. I want something that was in common use in Iraq/Afghanistan by US Army soldiers, even if it was not an approved piece of kit. (Also I should point out that I am not rich, and so LaRue is not in my realm of possibilities).
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
CQD?

Not field expedient but something like this.

I have seen these on Mk18 uppers and M4's sometimes when the factory side sling swivel was missing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CQD?

Not field expedient but something like this.

I have seen these on Mk18 uppers and M4's sometimes when the factory side sling swivel was missing.
View Quote

Do you think this particular one was in use, or just one like it? I figure something just like that is what would be the best alternative to OEM. Just trying to get something that was somewhat common (or simply preferred by some guys) in "the sandbox". I hope to hand this carbine over to my grandchildren and I want every piece to have historical relevance. Not unlike how most people try to keep their A1 rifle builds Vietnam era  "authentic".
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I would bet most used the front mounts on the rifle (like the one you removed).

I suppose it comes down to how you want to mount your sling.

One option that I would have confidence in being used over your time frame would be the KAC front sling mount:

http://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM98720

ETA: The CQD mount referenced above was common on SOPMOD guns. Lots of pics in the M4A1 picture threads show them.

Here are some pics:

CQD and some QD mount (not sure of the maker on this):

It looks like the same QD mount as above:

More CQD mount:

KAC?:
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you think this particular one was in use, or just one like it? I figure something just like that is what would be the best alternative to OEM. Just trying to get something that was somewhat common (or simply preferred by some guys) in "the sandbox". I hope to hand this carbine over to my grandchildren and I want every piece to have historical relevance. Not unlike how most people try to keep their A1 rifle builds Vietnam era  "authentic".
View Quote

CQD has been around a minute not sure when they started making these things but they are only usually found on SOPMOD (i.e. SOCOM) Issued weapons.

I used on a M16A3 with a KAC M5 RAS ICW a VTAC Mk2 one deployment that I purchased myself.

I would say if we could determine when they started production if its in your time period it could have plausibly been put on a M4 missing the side sling swivel. However as the last guy said most of the M4's have the side sling swivel even the SOCOM M4's and M4A1's.

ETA: I know that the Navy doesn't like to use QD sling attachments so its either hooks or the sling thru a loop. Reason is exposure to salt water and having the QD lock up. So if you see a QD attachment on a weapon its probably most likely Army.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
sling swivel

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks everyone. I think you all answered my question pretty well. I can pony up $50 for a specialty mount or I can slap the original swivel back on. I might need to buy some new roll pins to put the original back on though . I thought it would be too noisy to take on patrol but I guess not. I'll probably put it back on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks everyone. I think you all answered my question pretty well. I can pony up $50 for a specialty mount or I can slap the original swivel back on. I might need to buy some new roll pins to put the original back on though . I thought it would be too noisy to take on patrol but I guess not. I'll probably put it back on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good choice as you can't go wrong with it.

Brownells has the pins:
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=iz3fj64ecb00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Freceiver-parts%2Freceiver-hardware%2Freceiver-pins%2Fm4-spirol-pin-sku160308376-82273-171668.aspx

I verified the part number with SAW, but they have a $50 order minimum:
http://www.specializedarmament.com/%E2%80%94-barrel-assemblies-parts/sling-swivel-assembly-spirol-pins-2/
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks again all. Putting it back on was a lot easier than taking it off. It is identical to that picture. I'll never understand how it was okay to have the sling attachment connected directly to the barrel and to have the attachment loose and clanky, but I want my carbine to be as accurate as possible. I have other AR-15's to customize with the latest and greatest free float rails and such, but this one is going to stay frozen in time. I'll still shoot it though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks again all. Putting it back on was a lot easier than taking it off. It is identical to that picture. I'll never understand how it was okay to have the sling attachment connected directly to the barrel and to have the attachment loose and clanky, but I want my carbine to be as accurate as possible. I have other AR-15's to customize with the latest and greatest free float rails and such, but this one is going to stay frozen in time. I'll still shoot it though.
View Quote

It's probably one of the least loud things when you're in full kit running around, but a little bit on electrical tape was good for when you wanted to a little more effort towards being quiet for night patrols.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't speak of what was used in 06, but the piece you decided to go with is CURRENTLY issued.

You only take one of the pins out, BTW. The one closer to the bayonet lug. It's not hard. I can swap them in about a minute, assuming they cooperate.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not that loose and if you actually have a sling through it, it shouldn't make any noise. I for one WISH I could get one of those on my issue rifle. While all issue M4s have them, the side sling loop is only on M16s when they have an M203 mounted too. That was actually the side loop's original purpose; with an M203 you couldn't use the standard underbarrel sling loop so it was moved to the side. Then as newer sling designs like three-points and even now the new standard issue Vickers sling became common, it was more desirable to have these side mounted. Especially with those shitty three-point slings the Corps used to issue, you really didn't want to mount them to the underbarrel loop as it would make your rifle hang upside down.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top