Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad I read this.

I have some cheap QD swivels and bases that are going to be dumped for good quality stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:18:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never liked the QD mounts myself. I prefer to loop the sling around the buttock and use an HK type snap hook for the front. Every rifle I own gets it's own sling, so no worrying about moving them from rifle to rifle.

Also, whoever posted about the quick couplers used on air hoses for shops, in my experience, those things bust and come off all the time. They get tossed around, dropped, ran over and god knows what else in a busy shop.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I use QD Sling setups on several of my AR firearms.  I've never had one disconnect by accident.

But I've only been shooting for a little over 30 years, including over a decade in the Marines.

Buy Quality Stuff instead of cheap crap and just about ANY setup will work as designed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have ran one specific ar rifle with 3 qd mounts hard and have only had one issue. When going from a 2 point to single point on an ms4 and clipping into a mount on the end plate, I did not insert it correctly and it gave out. It was my fault as I was in a rush. My current plan is to do a push pull on the qd to make sure its locked in.

I have almost entirely standardized to the convertible ms4  btw, I love these slings.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:29:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a QD single point sling fail and dump my rifle directly on top of an IED we were digging up

That being said, Most of my rifle have a QD setup so I can easily swap slings around.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]
As good as the plastic is in some of the quick release buckles, I'll probably never ever trust even a Cobra buckle.
But, strangely enough, I do trust a KAC QD, see, my butt was hanging from one once, it didn't fail, even though the tube on the weapon was seriously bent.
Maybe I got lucky (better to be born lucky than good or rich).
Failure would have certainly resulted in extremely serious injury at least, probably death at that height (helo).

As you might realize, I'm been a huge fan of permanently fixed slings since.
But after using HK hooks and KAC swivels for many many years with zero failures, they are my choice for QD hardware.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Do Magpul QD swivels have "Magpul" stamped on them anywhere?  Be nice to be able to differentiate them from the others by sight.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As good as the plastic is in some of the quick release buckles, I'll probably never ever trust even a Cobra buckle.
But, strangely enough, I do trust a KAC QD, see, my butt was hanging from one once, it didn't fail, even though the tube on the weapon was seriously bent.
Maybe I got lucky (better to be born lucky than good or rich).
Failure would have certainly resulted in extremely serious injury at least, probably death at that height (helo).

As you might realize, I'm been a huge fan of permanently fixed slings since.
But after using HK hooks and KAC swivels for many many years with zero failures, they are my choice for QD hardware.
View Quote

KAC swivels are fantastic. They're almost exactly like the Viking Tactics heavy duty ones; you could probably hang the Statue of Liberty from one of them and it wouldn't give way. I've got two of each and they're both great.

Only real difference is the Viking Tactics one has a recessed button. It's a bit of a pain to remove but the odds of you accidentally pressing it are probably 0%.

I personally like the KAC button more. It'd be easier to accidentally depress it, but I haven't had that happen, and I much prefer it when removing a sling as it's easier to operate.

Would completely trust both the KAC and VTAC HD swivels though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do Magpul QD swivels have "Magpul" stamped on them anywhere?  Be nice to be able to differentiate them from the others by sight.
View Quote

Their triangular QDM swivel that I use has 'Magpul' stamped on it, but the shape alone makes it unique.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

KAC swivels are fantastic. They're almost exactly like the Viking Tactics heavy duty ones; you could probably hang the Statue of Liberty from one of them and it wouldn't give way. I've got two of each and they're both great.

Only real difference is the Viking Tactics one has a recessed button. It's a bit of a pain to remove but the odds of you accidentally pressing it are probably 0%.

I personally like the KAC button more. It'd be easier to accidentally depress it, but I haven't had that happen, and I much prefer it when removing a sling as it's easier to operate.

View Quote

Never tried the Viking Tactics, thanks for the heads up.
Not that I'm planning on flying "economy" anymore, but you never know!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Their triangular QDM swivel that I use has 'Magpul' stamped on it, but the shape alone makes it unique.

Tomac
View Quote

I was thinking about them, but at $8-10 more per item that the standard swivel the cost adds up.  I would think that Magpul's standard swivels would be strong enough...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I wouldn't quite call them "economy." They're $20 a pop from the Viking store, and if wasn't for the design difference of the button you probably could not tell which one was which. Very good swivel (although, again, put side by side I still like the KAC button the most).
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, I wouldn't quite call them "economy." They're $20 a pop from the Viking store, and if wasn't for the design difference of the button you probably could not tell which one was which. Very good swivel (although, again, put side by side I still like the KAC button the most).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, Frost7, by flying "economy" I meant hanging outside the helo while 35-50 feet off the ground!
And $20 isn't bad, really.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

i dont see the point of a QD swivel. im still new to the gun world so maybe someone can enlighten me. what is wrong with a sling clipped onto a solidly mounted loop on your rifle? why am i depending on the little ball bearing knob to keep my rifle and i together?

after it happened i asked my buddy in the army if he uses them and he said no. i feel like this is a stupid gimmick marketed to civilians and we ate it up without question.
View Quote

Having been a unit armorer, most people in the military probably wouldn't know about QD sling mounts in the first place. Secondly, I have yet to see a M-16 without permanently attached sling mounts. So even if they are aware of QD mounts, they will most likely use what is on the weapon first. Finally, most units won't allow you to put personal items on military rifles (some may, be the ones I was in wouldn't). I'm not saying people didn't put stuff on anyways, but they would take whatever it was back off before they turned it in. IMO, I can see a use for them, but I would rather have it permanently bolted onto the weapon (pinned or rail mounted). If the rifle was being stored in a confined area or where other people could access it, I would give the QD mounts a shot. It would be easily removed making it easier to store the weapon and also allow me to secure my sling so I wouldn't have to worry about it growing legs.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I have rifles with QD and rifles with hooks for the slings, neither have ever failed me but for some reason I like the hooks better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#16]
For me, the greatest advantage of having at least one QD sling swivel on a rifle is the easy ability to completely separate the upper and lower.

Tomac
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#17]
When I hear someone dog QD swivels I know I'm talking to a straight up moron... the kind better served by an AK than an AR. Just too cheap and dumb for thier own good.

I prefer QD to HK hook because I have seen more HK hook style connections fail than QD. The failures of QD push button is 99% either somone buying the cheapest Chicom QD they can or user error. User error is usually either not pulling out to ensure seating or not cleaning/lubricating once in a while, third most common is combination of a hook onto a QD. HK hooks are noisy as hell, QD is practically silent in comparison. Prefer the non clacking clackity clack the HK has a ton of.

I use a 221 sling and the QD is far easier to manipulate than a hook transitioning between 2 point and single point. I refuse to use any other attachment type. They are all inferior. The ONLY negative is the need to be cleaned and lubed. But then again we shoot AR15 rifles, not AKs, so we are used to that. Not a big fan of the RED QD though... the wire gets mangled from prolonged use. I am a big fan of limited rotation sockets.

Like most problems on this forum, it's likely because you bought cheap stuff or you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I refuse to use any other attachment type. They are all inferior. .
View Quote
"Inferior" ... my ass. You'll see more military straight up slinging (no attachments) than using QD's... that's for dang sure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

"Inferior" ... my ass. You'll see more military straight up slinging (no attachments) than using QD's... that's for dang sure.
View Quote
That's simply because your typical Marine or soldier is not issued weapons with QD mounts or QD slings and most aren't gun guys who have their own shooting stuff. A large portion of service members have never held or used a firearm outside of the military, and most non-combat MOSs (the majority of the military) only use their weapons for their annual qualifications, if that's even required of them (the Marine Corps is the only branch that requires everyone to qualify annually).
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

i dont see the point of a QD swivel. im still new to the gun world so maybe someone can enlighten me. what is wrong with a sling clipped onto a solidly mounted loop on your rifle? why am i depending on the little ball bearing knob to keep my rifle and i together?

after it happened i asked my buddy in the army if he uses them and he said no. i feel like this is a stupid gimmick marketed to civilians and we ate it up without question.
View Quote
No one is making you use one. Just because you don't see a point to it does not mean there is none at all to everyone else as an absolute defined restrictively by you.

I find multiple advantages while I see no cons because mine have not failed. Ever. While I believe what happened to you did happen, that is a tiny sample from how many else?

Using the fixed way is no big deal if that is your thing. It isn't my thing. I'll do what is best for me and you continue to do what is best for you; it doesn't have to make sense to you, it just has to make sense to the other guy.

FYI: I bought my own mounts to use QD down range. I'm mil too retired mil,. A lot of us bought our own stuff. And did your friend know about the SOPMOD stock and it is an have been issued to the conventional side? There's a mount for a QD in there by the way
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:04:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are NSN's already out there for quick detach.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the one that blew apart i have no idea. the new one i cant recall either.

but whats the point of doing "quality QD vs cheap QD" dance when i can just get a solid loop like this

https://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/Slings/ACCESSORIES/MAG502/MAG502-blk-1-15.png&Width=1200&Height=700&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Format=jpg&Crop=5&Background=ffffff

and never have to worry? it will never wear, it will never get dirt inside, it will never be accidentally disconnected
View Quote
Because that thing weighs like half a pound. No shit

If you want one that bad I'll send you one
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:02:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have ran one specific ar rifle with 3 qd mounts hard and have only had one issue. When going from a 2 point to single point on an ms4 and clipping into a mount on the end plate, I did not insert it correctly and it gave out. It was my fault as I was in a rush. My current plan is to do a push pull on the qd to make sure its locked in.

I have almost entirely standardized to the convertible ms4  btw, I love these slings.
View Quote
Same here

Eta: now you guys have me worried about the quality of my QDs

I buy mine from Damage Industries when they run their BOGO sale. They seem heavy duty.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Same here

Eta: now you guys have me worried about the quality of my QDs

I buy mine from Damage Industries when they run their BOGO sale. They seem heavy duty.
View Quote
Easy enough to test 'em.
That's why I have settled on the KAC (with maintenance of course).
Swingset gives a great opportunity to test them, when the grands will let me on it!
Without needing a helo I might add!
Make sure your attachment is up to the task as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are NSN's already out there for quick detach.
View Quote
That does not mean they (majority) rely on them, nor use them. There is no real need for a military person to have quick on/off of their sling. It only adds a (possible) weak link to an otherwise solid fail proof system (slung straight to rifle mounted sling loops). I understand QD (and have them on my range toy, since that get's slung when NOT at the range), but for HD/SD/Combat... NO. Hell no.
If a QD isn't used.. it can't fail. Less parts = less failure. Simple rule.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:04:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That does not mean they (majority) rely on them, nor use them. There is no real need for a military person to have quick on/off of their sling. It only adds a (possible) weak link to an otherwise solid fail proof system (slung straight to rifle mounted sling loops). I understand QD (and have them on my range toy, since that get's slung when NOT at the range), but for HD/SD/Combat... NO. Hell no.
If a QD isn't used.. it can't fail. Less parts = less failure. Simple rule.
View Quote
I'm sure you think of yourself as a mastery of what's best for everyone else, but you need to look hard at this photo of a SOPMOD operator's M4 and reflect on what you think and what actually happens.

You do not know what is best and what will fail. Those NSN's are being used. Whether you like it or not, you cannot decree what is being used and what isn't when this photo shows otherwise proving your narrative wrong.

And FYI, in all of time between multiple deployments, I used QD's on three of my deployments and never had one failure. They didn't fail me then even in the critical situations during reactions to contacts.

Your simple rule holds no water. Like what you like and don't like what you do not. You do what is best for you. I'll keep doing what is best for me because my experiences trump your disapproval anger. And our boys will keep doing what's best for them...which is always subjective at that.

My SHTF and hunting rifles have QD's. Serious tool accessories for serious business.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Israeli and American Made and good ones made in Europe.

no issues.

chinky ones..

yeah.....seen it happen.

load rating gets hit and its over.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Unless they redesigned that Magpul QDM crap since their release, they're absolute garbage.

Here's my experience with them. I bought 2 pairs of those when they first came out. I liked the idea of the way they're SUPPOSED to operate, i.e. you grab both sides of the ribbed slider tab and shove forward to click into the QD mount/socket. Grab both sides and pull to release the QD from the mount/socket.

The design is only secure IF as claimed, it will NOT release if only ONE side is pushed/pulled. Well I tested all four of the QDMs I bought and all four could release from a QD socket/mount by pulling only one side.

If the rifle is worn over a vest, ANYTHING on the vest that catches a tab on just one side can release the QDM. Like I said, GARBAGE.

Haven't had an issue with quality standard QD swivels yet.

Max

P.S. it's been a while, but IIRC, it actually took LESS movement of the tab on just one side, to trigger a release than if you pulled both sides simultaneously, making it EASIER to accidentally detach by catching the tab on one side than by intentionally pulling both sides.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Unless they redesigned that Magpul QDM crap since their release, they're absolute garbage.

Here's my experience with them. I bought 2 pairs of those when they first came out. I liked the idea of the way they're SUPPOSED to operate, i.e. you grab both sides of the ribbed slider tab and shove forward to click into the QD mount/socket. Grab both sides and pull to release the QD from the mount/socket.

The design is only secure IF as claimed, it will NOT release if only ONE side is pushed/pulled. Well I tested all four of the QDMs I bought and all four could release from a QD socket/mount by pulling only one side.

If the rifle is worn over a vest, ANYTHING on the vest that catches a tab on just one side can release the QDM. Like I said, GARBAGE.

Haven't had an issue with quality standard QD swivels yet.

Max

P.S. it's been a while, but IIRC, it actually took LESS movement of the tab on just one side, to trigger a release than if you pulled both sides simultaneously, making it EASIER to accidentally detach by catching the tab on one side than by intentionally pulling both sides.
View Quote
After reading your post, I tested four of my QDM's using both Magpul & IWC sling swivel sockets. Not only was I unable to get any of them to come out by lifting one tab, I was unable to get one tab to move by itself, I had to move both tabs simultaneously.
What kind of sling swivel socket were you using?

Tomac
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Use quality QD swivels. You were using junk. Junk QD swivels break and disconnect early. Quality swivels don't.
View Quote
Grovtec are quality QD swivels.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Had to google, never heard of them before. They've got a lot of QD options to suit every need and that is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#32]
never had an issue
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Had to google, never heard of them before. They've got a lot of QD options to suit every need and that is awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bunch of former Uncle Mikes employees who started their own company when UM moved production to China.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

After reading your post, I tested four of my QDM's using both Magpul & IWC sling swivel sockets. Not only was I unable to get any of them to come out by lifting one tab, I was unable to get one tab to move by itself, I had to move both tabs simultaneously.

Tomac
View Quote
Oddly enough, those are EXACTLY the w company's sockets that I was using (Magpul and IWC), as I refuse to use aluminum sockets/mounts with a steel swivel.

My understanding was that I wasn't supposed to be able to pull only one side, so detaching it had to be a deliberate action.

I don't recall if I could push one side, but I could definitely pull one side towards the sling loop and it took very little movement of the tab to make it detach from the socket/mount (I use rotation limited mounts if that makes any difference).

Max
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#35]
One of the main reasons I use QD swivels is because I remove my slings before I put the guns back in the safe. I got tired of taking one AR out of the safe only to have the sling wrapped around three more guns and have them all come out at once. Yes, my safe is crowded.

I have a few of the Grovtec swivels, both QD and standard locking swivels. I haven't had a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I've learned a lot from the collective knowledge in this thread.  I've been using the old style military adjustable slings for years since the first "tactical" slings I used were junk that broke and tied me to the rifle.  I had an instructor tie me up tight with one to show me the error in my ways and I didn't like that at all.

Well my M14 slings are getting worn and they don't work for crap on SBR's/Pistols.  This thread has put me on the right road as to what to look for as replacements.  Thank y'all for sharing the knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a UTG fail on me..it fell apart at the range...almost a year to the day of when I ordered it off Amazon..no hardcore operator here...probably switched between rifles like maybe 10 times.
I filled out a waranty claim through Leapers website and uploaded 3 pics to them(kinda aggravating..but honestly took all of 8 minutes maybe)...in about an hr I got a reply apologizing and then a tracking notice...they shipped me 2 new QD swivels free..and I got them in like 2 days...
They are still in the package..I bought a magpul one...the one that's unlabeled.. (not the triangular one).
I'm still undecided on equipping my guns with mostly QD's...it's basically for convenience of swapping slings..

Folks commenting on using the HK style...what brand or source are u finding these ?
I got 4 "1.25" wide ones for like 10 bucks off of ebay or Amazon can't remember.
I'd considered magpuls parqclips but I have been using paracord instead of metal to metal to avoid the noise some are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because that thing weighs like half a pound. No shit

If you want one that bad I'll send you one
View Quote
I'll take one
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tomac
View Quote
So you got me curious as to whether Magpul might have tweaked the design since, so I ordered a new pair.

Perhaps I was mistaken/forgot, but they won't release from pulling on just one side, but from testing the new ones I just received, they absolutely can be released by pushing just one side towards the socket.

When used with a vest, numerous things on the vest could potentially bump the QD tabs forward causing an unintended release.

I'll stick to the Midwest Industries recessed button QDs that haven't given me any problems thus far.

Max
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So you got me curious as to whether Magpul might have tweaked the design since, so I ordered a new pair.
Perhaps I was mistaken/forgot, but they won't release from pulling on just one side, but from testing the new ones I just received, they absolutely can be released by pushing just one side towards the socket.
When used with a vest, numerous things on the vest could potentially bump the QD tabs forward causing an unintended release.
I'll stick to the Midwest Industries recessed button QDs that haven't given me any problems thus far.
Max
View Quote
I tried the 'single tab pushed down' that you described, and pushing a single tab down *is* enough to release the sling swivel.
However, with one of the tabs always protected by the folded swivel head covering it, I believe the risk of something hitting the other small tab in just the right way to release it inadvertently is about the same as something hitting the recessed button on the MI sling swivel and to date I haven't had any problems w/my Magpuls (if I ever do, I will most certainly post about it).

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong w/using the MI's if they suit your needs better (I own one, actually).  

Tomac
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:17:17 PM EDT
[#41]
If you need a QD option that has a hook and crossbar lock, Magpul's Paraclips are super strong.

I am using Wilson Combat QD heavy duty push button swivels on my precision gun, but use the Paraclips on my "must not fail" HD rifle.

Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cheapos or a quality manufacturer?
View Quote
He said Blackhawk!, so they're cheap pieces of shit marketed at mid to premium prices.... like everything that garbage heap of a company produces.

I dig the design of the Magpul paraclips. They seem really durable.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:07:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Their qd to sling stud adapters are genius
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#44]
OK, I'm new here and this is my first post.

You guys have me completely freaked out over quick releases.  I want a release on my quad rail as the mil spec one is always in the way of the vertical post which is directly under the F front sight post.  It would also be really cool to take the upper and lower apart for cleaning.  What do you guys think of this

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/accessories/rifle-swivels/picatinny-attachments

The top one on the right.  Apparently it is a little screw in - screw out fixture which releases the sling.  ????
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OK, I'm new here and this is my first post.

You guys have me completely freaked out over quick releases.  I want a release on my quad rail as the mil spec one is always in the way of the vertical post which is directly under the F front sight post.  It would also be really cool to take the upper and lower apart for cleaning.  What do you guys think of this

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/accessories/rifle-swivels/picatinny-attachments

The top one on the right.  Apparently it is a little screw in - screw out fixture which releases the sling.  ????
View Quote
This is what you want: Daniel Defense QD Mount.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top