Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2017 7:09:44 PM EDT
Just curious.  I have a B5 Bravo and I've always wanted a more genuine one.  I like the way the Bravo one feels, so I would like to try a regular one.  The battery compartment is a bonus.  The big thing I notice that I think I would like on a normal Sopmod stock is the butt is more squared off and the Bravo has a rake to it, more like the waffle stock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Without looking, the Sopmod is about .5" wider but it nice to have the storage.  Even when storage is is not not necessary, I still always go to the Sopmod for the extra cheekweld and balance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I notice the difference between the 2.  There is more of the angled slope.  The Bravo sort of cuts it off and angles down.  Whereas a real sopmod, the slant is down further and then has a big flat spot on the underside.  Right underneath the battery tubes.   I wonder if it feels much different.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This might help:

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes the SOPMOD is wider, but for me the B5 is wide enough.
Plus considering the difference in price I sold my SOPMOD and purchased two B5's.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 5:19:49 AM EDT
[#6]
With most of my rifles having the SOPMOD as supplied by LMT, I just received my first B5 Bravo last night from SKD Tac...and I really like it. For 1/4 the cost of a SOPMOD, it is worth it.  Damn well made, I am impressed.   A little rattle on the buffer tube, not quiet as tight as my LMT SOPMODs, but I can live with that.

My very quick initial impression is the cheek weld and width is perfect.  I will put the calipers on it today to get an exact size comparison.  I am very particular on what I buy and hang on my rifles, but for $53, I am good with the B5-Bravo

Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm with you.  It is very comfy......

I have a tenancy to always go back to the normal waffle stock, but out of the other ones I've had so far (which isn't a ton), I like the B5 the best.  But I haven't had or tried a real sopmod.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quick measurement on the two stocks:

Measuring at the front of the stock,  the SOPMOD was 2-3/8" wide and the B5 was 2" wide.  The angles of each side appear to be the same.  Remember I have the Bravo, non-storage style, the original B-5 may be wider.

It feels very well made and the construction is solid.  I have second guessed my decision about this stock some this weekend, why not go with the full SOPMOD, but those thoughts have passed, I am good.  This stock will work.  If you compare the two side by side, which I did, the quality is there.  I then gave them to my wife, who knows zero about rifles and asked her to compare, quality and finish. Asked in her opinion which one cost more, she guessed the B5, so there you have it, the best scientific test I can offer on a Sunday.

Regardless, the B5 Bravo will work, it is slim lined and will feel more comfortable on my OBR that the Magpul CTR.  I am so used to the SOPMOD style of stock.

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of each. My LMT sopmod feels like a comfy couch but the B5 bravo still has a comfortable cheek weld.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Both are comfortable stocks. I went with the SOPMOD for the additional surface area for my cheek weld. Not directly related to.OP's questions, but if you are carrying plates, you might consider the Bravo for its slanted butt pad.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top