Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2016 2:57:34 PM EDT
I was running a class this weekend and was choking myself a little when transitioning strong side to weak side. Obviously my sling is a little too short at the moment but I was thinking of changing a few details before adding length. I tried moving the QD to the opposite side of the stock (like pictured) in class. It took some length out of the system but I kinda like it so far. Should I move the other QD closer to the muzzle? Problem is I think I need a 45* mount at 3 o'clock for my light so I can gain more room for my weak hand at 9 o'clock. I have tried putting the light at 12 o'clock with the mbus behind it and don't like it. I'm learning and open to suggestions. What do you guys think?

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I run single point slings for my tac rifles, and two-point slings for my distance/Appleseed rifles.

Single point slings are much easier/simpler for strong/weak side transitions.  Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I could switch out slings for classes. But I take this rifle hunting in the brush as well and I much prefer a 2 point for that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Rear attachment on end plate.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Shift the buckle things closer to the ferrules so you get more usable length and adjustment range. Move the front swivel back to the last notch in your hand guard. Once you get it all set up, cut half (or more) of the excess off.

I can set my vtac to give me enough room at full closure (while wearing vest/plates), and the quick adjust will let me switch shoulders.

Give it a pull past the normal tight, and it can be a hasty sling for more precise shooting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Something like the TangoDown PR-4 orTactical Link Z-360 would work if you don't want to remove your receiver extension. If you're open to replacing your receiver end plate, the Noveske QD end plate is a nice replacement.

ETA: Looking more closely at your RE, does it have a QD socket or is it installed backwards? I see a protrusion....
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shift the buckle things closer to the ferrules so you get more usable length and adjustment range. Move the front swivel back to the last notch in your hand guard. Once you get it all set up, cut half (or more) of the excess off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So bring my front QD back towards the receiver to the last keyhole, then move the buckles all the way down the strap to the QD?

Is this mutually exclusive of running the rear QD off the end plate?

Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Something like the TangoDown PR-4 orTactical Link Z-360 would work if you don't want to remove your receiver extension. If you're open to replacing your receiver end plate, the Noveske QD end plate is a nice replacement.

ETA: Looking more closely at your RE, does it have a QD socket or is it installed backwards? I see a protrusion....

It's a BCM end plate, the QD socket protrudes a little bit.

When you run your rear QD off the end plate, where is your front QD?
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So bring my front QD back towards the receiver to the last keyhole, then move the buckles all the way down the strap to the QD?

View Quote
rearmost qd socket on rail on shorties, longer guns I run the front sling attachment about half way to the muzzled just behind the FSP.
Attachment Attached File
" />
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're pretty well set up, then. You could even leave your front QD where it is; it depends on how you find it comfortable and your ability to cinch the rifle snug against your body when in a non-firing profile (e.g., walking); I tend to find closer to the front of the receiver more comfortable, but not always.

I have found that I prefer the end plate sling mount because it allows me to move quickly into a single-point mode while shooting and then backt o two-point while carrying the rifle. This is enhanced by using something like a sling-mounted QD (e.g., Burnsed Socket, Tri-Glide).

It does add an extra step but it works surprisingly well. And if you don't have time to get into a single-point mode, you can stick with a traditional Vickers-type move where you quickly create slack in the sling and slip your arm through to quickly shoot. Either way, having the rear sling mount at the end plate will allow you to transition to your weak side with less tangling, etc. Single-point mode just keeps the rest of the sling out of the way from your other controls (e.g., bolt release, changing mags).

The only downside to the end plate mount is that, with the rifle cinched up against your body, the stock is super close to your face. So, it's present should you have to turn your head in the same direction. Mounting the rear sling QD on the stock, as you have it pictured, deals with this problem.

So, everything's a tradeoff but in my experience the end plate QD mount gives me the most balance for my uses. That said, having QD on the end plate, hanguard (at your desired location), and stock gives you a lot of options.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit, OP (or anyone else for that matter) can have my Noveske QD end plate for free. I hate it. It is awkward when you are shooting to have the sling up in your face as well as up under your shoulder, and if you transition, your buttstock ends up flopping around. Shit battle setup.

IMHO OP has the ideal setup as pictured.
Single points are obsolete and were designed to compete with 3 points which are also obsolete now. Both leave your gun flopping around after a transition and provide no additional utility whatsoever when shooting. Adjustable 2 point attached to the buttstock and side rail is the way to go
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Shit, OP (or anyone else for that matter) can have my Noveske QD end plate for free. I hate it. It is awkward when you are shooting to have the sling up in your face as well as up under your shoulder, and if you transition, your buttstock ends up flopping around. Shit battle setup.

IMHO OP has the ideal setup as pictured.
Single points are obsolete and were designed to compete with 3 points which are also obsolete now. Both leave your gun flopping around after a transition and provide no additional utility whatsoever when shooting. Adjustable 2 point attached to the buttstock and side rail is the way to go
View Quote

I will take you up on your offer and send you a standard end plate, after running most sling setups humping around the woods and doing drills I prefer the sling on rear of receiver.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will take you up on your offer and send you a standard end plate, after running most sling setups humping around the woods and doing drills I prefer the sling on rear of receiver.
View Quote

Srs, you can have it
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I have all my rifle set up like you do OP except I mount the forward part of the sling in the first slot near the magazine well.  I've tried it all, singles, 3pts, all the ways everyone else has their slings attached in this thread , and I've found your way to be the best. The key feature for me is to have the rear sling attached to the right side of the stock (just like you do) it allows my rifle to lay flatter when cinched up, and also helps transitions.

*Side note, I absolutely can't stand single point slings. Yes, transitioning is a pro, but, everything else is a con. Nut busting, knee busting, maintaining full control of your rifle if you need to move or stow the rifle to the side for hands free tasks sucks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will first try moving the front QD back towards the receiver just a little bit, then add some length in the back of the sling. I'll also move the front tri glides closer to the front QD to get some more tightening range.

I used to run a single point on a different rifle and couldn't stand the nut busting. This rifle is for classes and pigs, and I like that I can cinch this sling tight and secure to bust brush or use my hands. I guess transitioning to weak side will always be a little slower though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 4:31:07 AM EDT
[#15]
1. Most people should never transition to weak side... probably 99%.

2. Rear QD allows you to swap easily between single and two point sling with same sling  by just moving from to a QD socket on sling near the rear QD.

3. Rear QD plate never gets in the way when used correctly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Dang. How tight is that, that you can't even switch shoulders with it??
One thing I've learned is that "weak side" shooting is not great. I do NOT switch grips for transitions. I simply swap shoulders and retain my normal grip (right hand on grip, left hand on forearm). MUCH quicker, serves the same purpose, none of the sling dismount/remount dance, and no hours and hours of training the left hand for controls.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top