Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2016 10:31:08 PM EDT
Just purchased my first rifle- a S&W Sport II.  

Any recommendations for a two-point sling that is readily available online?  And will I need to add any hardware or anything?  Or can I simply attach it to the sling adapters currently on the rifle.

I also like the idea of having a flashlight on the rifle.  Any recommendations on one of those?

Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
first, congratulations! Smith & Wesson makes a damned fine affordable rifle. I've had my M&P15 for the better part of a decade now.

As for the flashlight and sling, I've got some recommendations depending on price range:

Option 1: Use existing hardware. This will be the least expensive route.
Sling: USGI M4 sling
https://www.amazon.com/Rifle-Sling-Black-Buckles-Silent/dp/B00KXGWBLM
Nothing fancy whatsoever, but it works for basic marksmanship. With the stock, don't route it through the steel loop on the buttstock, route it through the slot so that you can run it up over your shoulder.

Light: You'll be best off mounting the light to your front sight assembly. There aren't many options for mounting a light to the plastic handguards, which is why the Army got away from them in 2006 or so.
Ezletta ZFH1500: https://www.elzetta.com/product/zfh1500/
Midwest Industries Tactical light mount: https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Industries-Tactical-Light-Standard/dp/B002E6PAHG
I like Midwest Industries as a company, but both should be viable options. Both of these require you to buy a separate flashlight. I'd use the Ezletta recommendations for their mount, and for the MI mount, you can choose just about any light with a 1913 Picatinny rail grabber, which gives you more options.

Option 2:
Requires the purchase of a "Drop in 7" (Carbine length) quad rail.
There are many options for this. The benefit of the Drop in rail is that it requires no actual gunsmithing. A drop-in rail uses all your existing hardware to simply replace the plastic handguards with an aluminum (or in the case of Magpul, polymer) rails. The downside will not be noticable until you get into dynamic shooting classes and want to be able to reach further out. Solutions range from Magpul (which run about $30-40 for the handguard, and then another $40-50 for attachments needed to attach a light) to milspec rails that cost $150 each. There are countless threads on this..... welcome to the dark side. you will spend countless hours trying to find the right rail or fore-end for your rifle.

Slings at this point can either use existing hardware points on your gun, or you can put sling attachment points on your rail (the dollars start adding up quick from here on, but you get some good results too)
At this point I'd recommend something like a 2 point adjustable sling like the VTAC or Blue Force Gear VCAS, which will be attached to the backside of the front sight assembly and through the slot in the buttstock.

Option 3:
Requires a free-float rail, and other parts depending on wether you want one with a cut-out, or solid rail. This option is top of the line, and requires some gunsmithing to install the rail.
Sling at this point will most definitely be an adjustable two point as mentioned in Option 2. Or paroose the slings sub-forum for other options. The Magpul one has alot of cool factor since it's a transformer, but it ads zero benefit over the two mentioned above.

Rail: At this point, if you're dishing out the $175-$350 for a rail, I'd get one with QD sockets integral to it, and you might as well spend some money on a new buttstock. This is where you see your costs adding up ALOT. You also get very good results, more accuracy, better handling, etc. My personal recommendation is to build up to this point as you progress as a shooter.

When you are learning the basics, it literally does not matter wether you are shooting a beater second-hand AR that rattles whenever you pull the trigger and shoots 4 MOA on a good day, or a space-shuttle racing gun that shoots the ballsack off a gnat. Learn the basics, and upgrade your gun as you increase in skill and interest level. It is most definitely possible to turn your S&W Sport II into a tackdriver.

Enjoy! Welcome to the club! Feel free to ask questions. PM if need be
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I threw a GG&G endplate on one of mine and a Troy pgrsa on another. I run single point slings and like them.  I run Surefire 6p tactical lights in rifle scope rings right on my pic rails with good results. Not fancy or "tacticool" but real world usable and solid.  Good luck.Magpul makes rails that mount to standard handguards if you want to keep stock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You hot linked to the B word....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You hot linked to the B word....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In the past 4 yrs I've never had a problem. They have it together.

Never order anything on backorder
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Surefire m600U (or m300C) for flashlight and VTAC 2 pt sling from Primary Arms
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I was recently introduced to the Proctor Sling from Way of the Gun. Super simple, super minimalist, no hardware required. This is now my go-to sling.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top