Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2016 4:40:08 PM EDT
Need to gear up for a civilian class in November, 3 days on SWAT/CQB tactics with mix of classroom, flat range and shoot house including low light work.  Problem is I only have basic accessories for AR-15 (two-point sling, light, plenty PMAGs and lots of ammo) so am looking for advice/opinions, pros/cons of different gear options to carry 3-6 PMAGs.  Current kit includes OWB holster 4 o'clock and pair of double mag pouches 8 o'clock from Raven Concealment for sidearm with light and pistol mags, so a battle belt and H-harness would conflict with that setup, plus conflict with muscle memory and costs more.  Welcome to the NFL, right?

In any event, looking at MOLLE chest rigs, pouches for 3-6 PMAGs and hoping to keep sidearm and pistol mags on a stout leather belt in the waistline of blue jeans.  Will I learn the hard way that vest or chest rig trumps belt-mounted OWB holster and belt-mounted pistol mag pouches?  Will I end up running the sidearm in a drop-leg rig or from a MOLLE chest holster anyway?  Or is there another gear option I am not seeing for packing 3-6 PMAGs around while keeping my belt mouted sidearm and pistol mags where I am used to them?

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the forum!

What are the requirements for the class?

If you run a vest, moving the pistol up to the vest can work, but I feel like it starts getting in the way of pouches or you have to move it to an uncomfortable position. If you run a chest rig, It either gets moved to the far side, or in front of the mags. Neither place is good. I have used OWB and IWB with a chest rig and it works. I just suggest keeping the pistol more towards your butt and not towards your front. That way, it will stay out of the way of the chest rig. You could run it on a drop leg holster, you just need to have a very sturdy belt for it.

SKD Tactical and OP Tactical have great selections for chest rigs.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If all you are wanting to do is carry rifle mags, and not change your current set up, just get a chest rig that holds rifle mags.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#3]
For what it's worth, I picked up an inexpensive Condor chest rig (6 AR mags) and, while I wouldn't take it on deployment, it's held up very well for the past couple of years including a couple of carbine classes.
I added a holster to the right-side MOLLE straps and a Blade-Tech dual mag holder to the left-side MOLLE straps. It performed very well at the classes.
HTH...
Tomac

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#4]

firepyro515,  Class requirements are not available yet.  Have asked just a couple days ago so he is probably still working on them.  First time he will be translating some of the tactics he normally teaches to LEOs and SWAT to a civilian group.  Just guessing the first two days might break team tactics into its component parts to get us comfortable with a variety of basic movement drills first as individuals, rope drills and what not.  Then rope drills on the flat range in teams before moving to the shoot house and working through some basic scenarios.  Assuming rifle will be primary but knowing him he will throw us curve balls requiring transition to handgun for one or more team members.

Appreciate your feedback and sharing your experience.  I imagined the vest getting in the way.  Am running the holster and mag pouches toward my butt as it is and was hoping that setup would work.  Was also on the SKD site yesterday looking at options for chest rigs.  Will try to stay away from a drop leg holster for now to avoid hiccups with muscle memory which is engrained at this point to that OWB holster on the belt.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top