Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2016 8:16:09 PM EDT
Hello all, I'm "very" new to AR's but have been shooting pistols for many years (over twenty), I'm an IDPA Chief Safety Officer and have trained under Ken Hackathorn, Massad Ayoob, Rob Pincus, Larry Vickers, etc.

I have a side saddle on my twelve gauge shotgun so I can carry extra ammo and of different types (#4, 00 or slugs).

For when there may be a "noise in the night" and you get out of bed with no time to "gear-up" I'd like to have extra ammo close at hand for my AR in-case of a magazine failure, etc.

The REDI-MAG seems like a viable option.

I see that it has been out for quite some time and that one of the instructors at MAGPUL uses the REDI-MAG.  A friend had loaned me the MAGPUL DVD video series.    

I've been in contact with REDI-MAG, their going to advise me when they again have the milled aluminum version in stock which should be just a few more weeks.  

The aluminum version is lighter, is one piece and is black in color.

I've watched the videos and it just seems like a good option though I know that it adds a little more weight but with a good padded sling (I have the Larry Vickers Two Point Padded Sling) should even things out.

I also know from my many years of shooting pistols that if it was such a good option that many others would be using it, but I just don't see any current videos on You Tube, etc.

Why isn't this used more on a home defensive weapon where you want an emergency reload but can't carry extra ammo with you, as if you just got out of bed, etc and aren't dressed?  

Thank-you in advance for your thoughts, I'll be curious to read the responses.      

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a viable option for HD.

I think it isn't that popular because 30 rounds is going to handle just about anything trying to get into your home. The ballistics of the 5.56mm round at distances under 75m are excellent, and In the event of a stoppage, you simply do SPORTS and can get an AR back into action in a second or less if you practice.

Like anything else, it is a question of decisions and personal choices.

Personally, I feel that 60 rounds doesn't benefit me enough for the added weight, and the need to practice another  reloading technique in addition to the one I already practice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a viable option for HD.

I think it isn't that popular because 30 rounds is going to handle just about anything trying to get into your home. The ballistics of the 5.56mm round at distances under 75m are excellent, and In the event of a stoppage, you simply do SPORTS and can get an AR back into action in a second or less if you practice.

Like anything else, it is a question of decisions and personal choices.

Personally, I feel that 60 rounds doesn't benefit me enough for the added weight, and the need to practice another  reloading technique in addition to the one I already practice.
View Quote

Pretty much this. I'd rather have 30rds in a lighter & faster-handling package. I have a grab & go belt w/handgun, 2 handgun reloads and 2 AR reloads right next to my rifle should I feel the need for it.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#3]
It's an option if all you are going to grab is the weapon or if you would be in a vehicle.

It adds weight but the trade off is you have 60 rounds right there, no stupid butt stock pouches to fuck with.

Malfunctions are a little harder to clear but not much, if you get one get a BAD lever.

I have one and I like it because it does give me 60 rounds on tap and reloads in standing, kneeling or sitting are stupid fast as long as you are not hasty slung in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The Surefire 60, and the Magpul D60 magazines have made the Redi-mag obsolete. Even if those magazines were not available, I would rather have two 30 round magazines in a high quality coupler than a Redi-mag and its associated negatives.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Opps, didn't mean to post this and now I can't seem to remove it.   ARG!!!!!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top