Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2016 5:51:57 PM EDT
In the market for a multi tool and always wanted the leatherman wave. Is the wave still a viable option or is there a better newer option on the market.  Looking for the best all around mid size tool.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I see a lot of people recommending them.  I have a 10+ year or Gerber (USA made) that finally broke - one of the pliers locking tabs.  I sent to Gerber and they fixed it up, sharpened the blades and sent it back in a brand new belt pouch.  Couldn't ask for much more than that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a Leatherman Charge.  I've had a Leatherman Skeletool for while which I think is a really good choice for a lighter weight pocket carry tool.  "Just enough" for most uses with blade, pliers and screwdriver bits.  Being able to open the knife blades without having to unfold the tool is really nice.

Look at what tools it has on it and what you're planning on using it for.  That will likely steer you toward one or another.

For instance I really like the one handed opening of the pliers on the Gerbers, I just don't use that nearly as often as the knife blades.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 6:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're looking for something AR specific. Check out the Multitasker Tools tool.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Leatherman Skeletool is the best pocket carry tool you will ever own.  Pliers, blade, screwdriver and bottle opener in a very ergonomic and compact pocket size.  I carry one everyday.

Leatherman Charge is probably the best full size tool with changeable screw driver bit holder allowing for many different fasteners to be dealt with, a changeable blade holder that allows a large variety of files and jig saw blades to beheld and replaceable carbide cutter inserts for the pliers.

Leatherman MUT a good compromise full size tool that will work as a companion to your AR while still being a fairly capable full size multi tool.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm planning on putting this tool in a bag of some sort. So size and weight are not on the top of my list but rather function ability.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using a Gerber MP600 (if i'm not mistaken) for about 10+ years and it's still serving me well for everyday use.
I've also used a 800series model but was a complete junk.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a MUT. It is OK I guess.

It needs to be made lighter and I would rather have a file than a saw blade in a tool intended to get a firearm up and running.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have a experience with Real Avid multitool?  I came across it on Amazon.  Looks solid with some interesting carbon scraping tools.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a leatherman charge and a multitasker 3.  The MT3 is a pretty heavy duty rig with a real knife and bit driver, plus a variety of AR specific tools.  I have used it quite a bit and really like it.

The charge is much lighter but has a more general/wider selection of tools.  It does not feel as bulletproof as the MT3 but offsets that with its light weight and slim size.  I haven't used it a lot yet but for the few tasks I have tried with it has worked well.

I would definitely recommend the MT3 if you are looking for a very rugged AR oriented tool and don't mind a little extra bulk.  Would probably recommend the charge as a more well rounded lightweight option but don't have enough experience with it yet to give it a whole-hearted thumbs up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've carried the Wave for years.   Nothing not to like.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Have carried the Gerber Diesel for over a year or two now. No complaints from me and gets the job done in a pinch. Can't beat the one handed opening.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I EDC a leatherman surge now after having carried a wave for over a decade.  I like the surge much better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone have a experience with Real Avid multitool?  I came across it on Amazon.  Looks solid with some interesting carbon scraping tools.
View Quote

I have one, http://www.realavid.com/the-gun-tool-box.html and have not used it much. As a general tool it sucks compared to say a Gerber but as a firearm specific tool it does ok. The one I have is a general tool and not specific to one platform, therefore is limited to the basics.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Wave is a fantastic MT; the most versatile one available IMO. I have a Wave in a bag and a Juice S2 in my pocket. Love them both.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I carry the Wave.  I have two of them.  The original in the leather case or sheath, and a new one in nylon.  You can get a lot of accessories that snap in to make it more versatile.   While it is not firearm specific and certainly not AR specific, it remains a very good general purpose multi-tool.  One is in my "bug out" kit for survival or such.  The other is with me most places I go.

Like an American Express Card;  Don't leave home without it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm kind of a multi tool geek. Love them!  That being said, my favorite is the Wave. For its size/weight, it's the king. However, for "on the cheap", the Wingman/Sidekick are not bad (great for emergency packs). Not a huge fan of Gerber. I have a LOT of experience with the (USA) 600 series. That's a decent tool (unlike LM, it's primary is the pliers, but it's blade is weak, thin, and requires you to open up the tool to access it), but very old design. I prefer my blade to be on the exterior access (which the LM wave/sidekick/wingman do). Gerber has also since outsourced it's tools. The 600 series is no longer "made in USA", where as the LM still is. Gerber makes a touch tool, but it is about 10 years behind LM. IMHO, there are really only two choices for MT's, LM and Gerber. They have different objectives (Gerber being more plier oriented, and LM being more blade oriented). But realistically, for any "emergency" purpose, ANY of them would be a welcome addition. Personally (as already stated) I feel the wave is the best MT ever made, but will admit the sidekick/wingman are my MT's for emergency packs (yes, I trust them that much). Also not a fan of the (total waste) TI versions. Gimmick and not worth the extra. Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In the market for a multi tool and always wanted the leatherman wave. Is the wave still a viable option or is there a better newer option on the market.  Looking for the best all around mid size tool.
View Quote

Great option...compact too.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top