Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/6/2016 10:29:32 PM EDT
I've been looking for a Colt M4 Gen II buttstock to replace the fixed setup that came with my Colt Match Target Carbine.  I've researched the stocks that came in this period from Colt are "marbled. " The fixed stock is slightly marbled.  Should I keep the original on or replace with a  period correct four position stock?   I have two M4 gen II stocks I picked up on the EE and I'm hoping one is the correct period.  I'm putting the newer M4 stock on my M4A1 clone,  so I'm thinking I should buy a Colt six position tube and swap them and put the four position on the Match Carbine?

What are your thoughts?

Edit: If you have extras lying around and would like to donate them to me so I can catalog them, e-mail me and I'll post them (Just need a confirmation of the year and any additional info you have on the butt-stock).  It would be nice to get a current production buttstock in the years of 2014, 2015, and 2016 to current.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Colt M4 GenII from 2003 (it's dusty):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Colt M4 GenII from 2013 Config. (Updated 11/29/2016)

You can see it varies from the 2003 Colt M4 GenII buttstock in that the polymer has no visual "marbling" and is a consistent black with a mild glare to it.  Another notable difference is that the sling attachment screw has a pointed tip versus a "squared" end on the 2003.  Until we get more samples I cannot confirm whether this is a discreet or continuous phenomena?

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The stock I recently purchased from the EE is the exact match to the older Colt fixed stock. It has the marble swirl in various locations, and the flashing is a bit rought on the adjustment lever. Problem solved. But I'm still open to suggestions to the aforementioned questions?  TIA
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You might get more interest and feedback from the Colt gurus:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/29_Colt.html
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
We could move this to Colt if it's more applicable?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if colt ever used six position RE on mil carbines.. I think the 4 positions is the standard
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My two Colt M4 type 2 stocks one made in 2010 and another made in 2011 are the same as of your picture, except mine have an even flat black finish.

The stock of mine made in 2010 had bad and rough mold flashing excess it took me about half hour to an hour trimming and sanding the rough flashings, my other made in 2011 is pretty good.

My newest and third M4 stock I just got last March is the latest version which Colt includes with their current production carbines (reference picture link below), the mold marks are slightly different, they're made by P&S and have their cage code of 4U486 but there are also some with additional Colt Defense's cage code of 13629 (both two cage codes are used on the same stock).

The top part of the stock have smaller radius where the raised angled surfaces meets the horizontal top surfaces and the finish are slightly shinier (glossy)  than older stocks.

Colt makes and uses 6 position mil-spec size receiver extensions (buffer tube) Colt part number SP69072 and they only use them on MK18, MK18 MOD1 rebuilds and M4A1 SOPMOD Block 2 rebuilds, these parts are very rare and almost impossible to find.

Do what you like with your carbines it would make you more satisfied when you modify them to your personal preference.

Picture link of the latest production Colt M4 type 2 P&S buttstock:

http://i.imgur.com/7Gzjibw.png

Ref. thread link of the newest Colt P&S stock picture source:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_29/273863_Picked_up_a_Colt_Expanse_today.html&page=1

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Good submission, thanks for taking the time. I have pics of a 2016 I'm posting soon.(Posted 11/29/2016)

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]
My thoughts were to put the Colt six position extension on the M4A1 SOPMOD and swap the four position to the older M4.  
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top