Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 8:18:52 PM EDT
I would like to hear suggestions/ member experiences relevant to the different M-Lok harris style bipod mounts on the market.  I recently switched all my rails to M-Lok and any info folks can provide will save me a bunch of time and money experimenting with different varieties.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have Magpul's. It works. Not much else to say.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Magpuls product has been an obvious choice.  The principle reason I started this thread is that there are dramatic differences between Magpuls design and the design of another popular option; MidWest Industries.  Magpuls adapter is slim/ low profile. The stud of course provides an attachment point for the bipod, while the handguard supports the bipod.   MI's design, on the other hand, provides a stud and a surface for the bipod to securely lock on to.  In this design the bipod is secured to the mount entirely.  Magpul's provides the stud but relies on the rail for support.    I would like to know if one design performs better than the other.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#3]

this is the one I went with, as it was about the only one I could find other than Magpul's offering. Plus, I've been happy with all of the other products I've bought from IWC

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I would probably get the IWC to save weight.  I don't think you will experience much difference between any of them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have checked out IWC and Odin works: design similar to Magpul; using the rail as support. Is it fair to say the MI's design, supporting the bipod on the mount is overkill? It's certainly heavier and has more bulk
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought Magpul's; it was cheap and solid.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Magpuls product has been an obvious choice.  The principle reason I started this thread is that there are dramatic differences between Magpuls design and the design of another popular option; MidWest Industries.  Magpuls adapter is slim/ low profile. The stud of course provides an attachment point for the bipod, while the handguard supports the bipod.   MI's design, on the other hand, provides a stud and a surface for the bipod to securely lock on to.  In this design the bipod is secured to the mount entirely.  Magpul's provides the stud but relies on the rail for support.    I would like to know if one design performs better than the other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true.  I have the Magpul and the bipod is actually supported by the beveled edges.

The Magpul is a much nicer design vs. the MI in my opinion.

I can take better pics when I get home if you like.  The bipod has most of it's weight carried on the flat bottom of the base.  The bevel fits snugly in the channel of the bipod mount.  It doesn't contact the handguard at any point.  Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought I would follow up on this.  I have three rifles needing m-lok bipod mounts.  Two that will run the bipod %100 of the time; a scoped varminter and a 6.5G for long range; and one light-weight carbine type AR with a red dot that I would occasionally put a bipod on.   To figure out what works best for the two different configurations I purchased one mount from IWC and one from MagPul.

Magpul- Heavy and bulky (compared to the tiny IWC)  but very sturdy mounting platform.  I mounted the adapter to the rail and attached the bipod.  It does not move/wiggle at at.  Verry sturdy.  This is the mount for the two guns that will have a bipod attached %100 if the time.

IWC Mount-N-Slot V2- lightweight and compact. Secured by one screw, the adapter takes up one M-Lok slot (magpul uses 2).  Once the bipod is attached it is pretty sturdy, but not as solid as Magpul.  If Magpuls attachment is a 10/10, the IWC is an 8/10, it has a small amount of wiggle.  For my carbine, which will occasionally utilize a bipod this is the right mount.  It is secure enough to achieve the level of precision one can expect to shoot with a red dot.  The light weight and low profile is great for a gun that you dont want to add much weight to.  An unexpected nice function of the IWC adapter is it feels good as a forend finger stop.  Below are pics of the IWC on my carbine.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not true.  I have the Magpul and the bipod is actually supported by the beveled edges.

I can take better pics when I get home if you like.  The bipod has most of it's weight carried on the flat bottom of the base.  The bevel fits snugly in the channel of the bipod mount.  It doesn't contact the handguard at any point.  Hope this helps.
<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/foursixty/media/Fortis%20Rail%20Install/100_1382_zpsdp0eneps.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/foursixty/Fortis%20Rail%20Install/100_1382_zpsdp0eneps.jpg</a><a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/foursixty/media/Fortis%20Rail%20Install/100_1395_zpsxulhwmui.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/foursixty/Fortis%20Rail%20Install/100_1395_zpsxulhwmui.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/foursixty/media/Fortis%20Rail%20Install/100_1382_zpsdp0eneps.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/foursixty/Fortis%20Rail%20Install/100_1382_zpsdp0eneps.jpg</a><a href="http://s680.photobucket.com/user/foursixty/media/Fortis%20Rail%20Install/100_1395_zpsxulhwmui.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/foursixty/Fortis%20Rail%20Install/100_1395_zpsxulhwmui.jpg</a>

Any more pictures of the complete gun?  Build details?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UPPER-
Reciever- CMT UPUR-4 (billet slick side w/dust cover)
Barrel-      Battle Arms Development 16" LightRiged 223 Wylde (Cerakote Black)
Gas Block-SLR Rifleworks Sentry 6 Ti adjustable
Tube-        SLR Melonite
Handguard-SLR Rifleworks ION 13.7"
BCG-              AIM Surplus Light Weight NiB
Charging Handle-AXTS Custom Raptor (NiB, Umbrella Corp Handles)
Muzzle Device -VG6 GAMMA 5.56

LOWER-
Reciever-                        Spikes forged
Stock-                        B5 Bravo
Buffer Assembly-        PSA Mil-Spec
Trigger-                        Larue MTB
Safety-                        V7 Hybrid 3 Gun Ambi (short throw)
Mag catch/Release-Battle Arms Dev. Button
Bolt Catch/Release-Seekings Enhanced Bolt Catch
Takedow/Pivot Pins-Battle Arms Dev. Ti Enhanced
Grip-                        Magpul K2+
Trigger Guard-         Magpul Enhanced Alum.

ACCESSORIES-
Optic- Trijicon MRO
Mount- SLR Lower 1/3
BUIS- Bobro Lowrider
OTHER:
Grip Stop
IWC Bipod Adapter
SLR QD Sling Mount
LaRue Index Clips
ERGO M-Lok rail covers
Strike Industries M-Lok rail covers

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing else to add?  it took me a while to list out all those details/photos you asked for....
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
JL Billet is another

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 4:22:48 AM EDT
[#13]
It was a splurge but I recently bought the Kenitic Development Group Kinect bipod mount.

It's pretty sweet and makes it easy to take my bipod from rifle to rifle. Again, it was a splurge.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It was a splurge but I recently bought the Kenitic Development Group Kinect bipod mount.

It's pretty sweet and makes it easy to take my bipod from rifle to rifle. Again, it was a splurge.
View Quote
I had my bipod on a Kinetic Mlok rail mount at the range yesterday.  It popped loose while I was shooting

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had my bipod on a Kinetic Mlok rail mount at the range yesterday.  It popped loose while I was shooting

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh-oh.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Uh-oh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh-oh.

The Kinetic Mlok bipod mount is too short IMO- when I was doing my review I had problems getting it to engage fully. I could easily see a scenario where it seems to be engaged, but under recoil... it really wasn't. Their 7-slot rail doesn't have this problem (but then you have to mount a Pic bipod mount atop it).
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Kinetic Mlok bipod mount is too short IMO- when I was doing my review I had problems getting it to engage fully. I could easily see a scenario where it seems to be engaged, but under recoil... it really wasn't. Their 7-slot rail doesn't have this problem (but then you have to mount a Pic bipod mount atop it).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh-oh.

I have the Kinet and decided to go back to fixed mounts.  It worked well with me SLR rifleworks rail (pictured) but was a little loose (would wiggle a bit, canting side to side) with my ALG and MI rails.  I had it come off once or twice unexpectedly but I think that was user error, not getting it engaged correctly.  The shooter needs to ensure that both the QD levers you push in for install/removal snap all the way out when connecting to the rail.  One benefit I have noticed with the Kinect is that it would fit in the M-Lok slot under my gas block; others with traditional m-lok simply dont fit.  I do agree that a larger size, 2 m-lok slots would be better.  Its hard to slip my fat fingers under the bipod to get to the QD levers, but I think the biggest issue with this is that not all M-lok slots, made by different manufacturers are the same spec so you get play on some rails (MI and ALG in my experience)
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top