Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 8:56:46 PM EDT
New to ARs and I have a defensive carbine class coming up.  Bought a Magpul MS1 sling and although it will be fine for the class I'm finding that the padding limits the range of adjustment.  If I configure the sling so I can change shoulders when I let the sling out, then I find I really can't get the rifle snug up against my chest. In retrospect I'm not going to be using the sling enough where the padding is really needed.  Just would like some feedback as to whether this is the norm for padded 2-point slings.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't like them. They just feel weird when I wear them. I also don't like that it won't let me cinch my gun up close to my body if I have to do some work with my hands. Probably won't be an issue in a course though

It's also a Gucci feature unless you're planning on standing around with your rifle slung for hours on end.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I use the Vickers padded VCAS and have not had any problems with adjusting the length or switching the rifle from one shoulder to the other or doing other drills. I've used these in every training class attended.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would padding affect the ability to adjust or tighten the sling?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

On the Vickers sling, the pad limits the adjustment range because you can not shorten it past the pad.

I like the padded sling on my suppressed 20" AR10 with 3.5-15 NXS because of the weight of the rifle.  I prefer a non-padded on my carbine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On the Vickers sling, the pad limits the adjustment range because you can not shorten it past the pad.

I like the padded sling on my suppressed 20" AR10 with 3.5-15 NXS because of the weight of the rifle.  I prefer a non-padded on my carbine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at pictures of the MS1 without pad it doesn't appear that they increased the adjustment range.  I looked at the Vickers slings online.  Both the regular and padded have 10" of adjustment which is probably about the same as my padded MS1.  I'll need to look at what I'm doing when I change shoulders - may be a problem with my procedure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The pad extends pretty far down the sling. The difference is when you go to cinch the weapon tight to your chest, you can easily end up cinching it up as far as the pad itself, and there is still a good few inches of slack because you've reached the limit of travel in the sling. For unpadded slings, it's not an issue and you can cinch the sling as tight as you want because it isn't limited by a bigass pad.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a padded VTAC and have no issues with it. I can cinch it up tight to my chest without running into the pad. To me for standard use a normal sling would be fine but a little comfort doesn't hurt when you're wearing it for extended periods.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Love the padded VTAC
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use a padded VTAC and have no issues with it. I can cinch it up tight to my chest without running into the pad. To me for standard use a normal sling would be fine but a little comfort doesn't hurt when you're wearing it for extended periods.
View Quote

Same here.  It helps tame the 11# weight of my 6.8 that gets carried quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The pad extends pretty far down the sling. The difference is when you go to cinch the weapon tight to your chest, you can easily end up cinching it up as far as the pad itself, and there is still a good few inches of slack because you've reached the limit of travel in the sling. For unpadded slings, it's not an issue and you can cinch the sling as tight as you want because it isn't limited by a bigass pad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good thing I'm a lard. Don't have that problem
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's really a side problem. It only applies if you need to do things with both hands like detaining guys, carrying shit, or searching shit, or climbing, etc. 9/10 people will have zero issues with a padded sling. Y'all just asked for disadventages.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top