Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2015 11:37:46 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with the UTG Heavy Duty Recon 360 line of Bipods? Do they hold up? I can't justify spending 200+ dollars for a bipod so I've been looking into more affordable ones.

Thanks in advance!

- Cap
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
At $69, why not just get a Harris?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I may if no one here recommends the UTG. I'm just trying to get the scoop on this particular Bipod.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I cannot comment on the model you are asking of, but I bought a $50 UTG bipod and it is meh.  Back to Harris for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That. And he^ is a UTG fan at that.

I however, am not. Screw UTG, get a Harris.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there not any play in the Harris mount? It seems like there would be some wobble with the attachment point being so small. I've owned a Harris (9 years ago) and it would always work itself loose from the attachment point. Of course, I'd have to get a picatinny mount for it but still.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got no problem with the UTG Pro quad rails (I actually purchased one and beat it to death just to see if it was as tough as the most recommended brands). Around the same time I was "testing", I picked up a UTG bi-pod thinking that it would only be used for zeroing and that paying $200-450 for a high end one was an exercise in stupidity.

Well, the UTG fell apart in about 20 rounds. I have since moved on to a Harris\Larue combo. I still don't use it that much but when I do use it, it works very well. Plus, if I ever was in a crunch and needed to liquidate a few things, the bi-pod I now have would fetch me around $.80 on the dollar. Try selling a used UTG bi-pod around here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got no problem with the UTG Pro quad rails (I actually purchased one and beat it to death just to see if it was as tough as the most recommended brands). Around the same time I was "testing", I picked up a UTG bi-pod thinking that it would only be used for zeroing and that paying $200-450 for a high end one was an exercise in stupidity.

Well, the UTG fell apart in about 20 rounds. I have since moved on to a Harris\Larue combo. I still don't use it that much but when I do use it, it works very well. Plus, if I ever was in a crunch and needed to liquidate a few things, the bi-pod I now have would fetch me around $.80 on the dollar. Try selling a used UTG bi-pod around here.
View Quote

Haha. Valid.

Maybe I'll just get an Atlas but MAN. $$$ I watched a Nutnfancy review he did on a UTG bipod and apparently, he's all about the thing. It makes me wonder because he puts his gear through classes, etc and still recommends it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#8]
You watched a Nutnfancy video and are actually using it's contents to assist you in your decision making?

That dude is a complete moron. Seriously, swear before ARFCOM that you will never watch another one of his "fudge up a Larue upper and then report on it's lack of reliability” or " bake a Glock" idiocy fests and I will ship you my old UTG bi-pod (fixed by yours truly) free of charge.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Haha it's only assisting me in my decision making if I order the Bipod. That's why I came here first;)

Seriously though, I'm big on educated decisions so I want to gather as much information that I can before I make mine. 65 dollars sounds a lot better than 220 if there's not a big difference in product. Still waiting to see if anyone has an experience using this particular model of UTG bipods.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I have UTG bi-pod, not one you are mentioning, but this one:

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-TL-BP78Q-Super-Tactical-Bipod/dp/B00FOPPN3K/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1450244241&sr=1-2&keywords=utg+bipod

and it works perfectly fine for what I use it - bench rest plinking and I enjoy QD mount it has .... and for <$30 I got it for :).

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-TL-BP78Q-Super-Tactical-Bipod/dp/B00FOPPN3K/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1450244241&sr=1-2&keywords=utg+bipod

and it works perfectly fine for what I use it - bench rest plinking and I enjoy QD mount it has .... and for <$30 I got it for :).

View Quote

I see, I see. I'll be using mine for hunting. I won't be putting my rifle through the ringer but It will definitely be put through a lot more "hardship" than being deployed onto a shooting bench. Really surprised that no one (yet) has any experience with the specific bipod mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I see, I see. I'll be using mine for hunting. I won't be putting my rifle through the ringer but It will definitely be put through a lot more "hardship" than being deployed onto a shooting bench. Really surprised that no one (yet) has any experience with the specific bipod mentioned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure why you should be surprised. Other than some folks having success with the UTG Pro handguards, UTG is not that well-regarded here. I'm not much of a gear snob, but I wouldn't even consider the UTG bipod when I can get a Harris for almost the same price. The UTG piece may or may not  turn out to be good in the end, but I still wouldn't dump my Harris for one.

If it really interests you that much just buy it, and report back to us.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm not sure why you should be surprised. Other than some folks having success with the UTG Pro handguards, UTG is not that well-regarded here. I'm not much of a gear snob, but I wouldn't even consider the UTG bipod when I can get a Harris for almost the same price. The UTG piece may or may not  turn out to be good in the end, but I still wouldn't dump my Harris for one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering buying it BUT I'd like to NOT be the Guinea Pig if at all possible
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

This model has had some good reviews comparing it's ball pivot with the Atlas.  I want to try one.

How did your cheap UTG bipod come apart?  Did the nuts fall come loose letting the legs loose?

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This model has had some good reviews comparing it's ball pivot with the Atlas.  I want to try one.
How did your cheap UTG bipod come apart?  Did the nuts fall come loose letting the legs loose?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The pins walked out of the legs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with the UTG Heavy Duty Recon 360 line of Bipods? Do they hold up? I can't justify spending 200+ dollars for a bipod so I've been looking into more affordable ones.

Thanks in advance!

- Cap
View Quote

UTG bipods  are okay. I have a UTG Rubber Armored Full Metal QD Bipod and I like it mostly because of the low profile. I have not put it through any horrible conditions but for the money its not bad. I lest it fits all my quad rails
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where were you able to find a review on this product?
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Amazon has some decent prices on Harris bipods.

When I bought mine they were the least expensive vendor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]
What makes it just "okay" and not great if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I feel like there needs to be a front end accessories section on this forum,,,
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd consider a bipod an "other" accessory
Considering the intended use and how much I'd need a fore end mounted bipod, for me, I'd buy the Harris brand.

Once I got it, I'd take all the threaded fasteners out and apply red Loctite or better brand and re-assemble.
I look at reviews as exactly that. In most, I can sense if the reviewer really likes the product. Take it as that until you get to play with it yourself.

The UTG brand doesn't appear to be a hit in the real world.

IMO, UTG doesn't come close. They need to stay in the paintball clan
To add into your previous experience with a Harris Bipod, there's a LOT of mount differences when connecting to (assuming) a sling mount, compared to a rail. A night and day difference.

Buy known quality if this is what you expect.

Better jump. Primary Arms has the UTG models @ 15% off

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone pick one of these up yet??
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#24]
My first bipod was a no name for $25, and the legs unscrewed and springs flew everywhere when I was shooting one day.  Picked up a utg one for $30 and seems to be better designed and works fine for my occasional shooting/hunting
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I may if no one here recommends the UTG. I'm just trying to get the scoop on this particular Bipod.
View Quote

UTG is airsoft crap. Get a Harris or, better yet, an Atlas; it's worth the money.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Check on the Tip Top bipods
http://peletontechnology.com/rifle-bipods/
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got two of them now.  I like them fairly well for a sub $100 bipod. Time will tell how they hold up, but the design seems better than most of their other gear.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#28]
UTG has two different lines of production.  1, Is the airsoft stuff that is very weak. 2 Is the rather new real produdt stuff that is darn good.  I d use the hell out of this stuff and the more expensive UTG bipod is as strong as my several Harris bipods.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the UTG 7" rail mount bipod, and the only bad things I have to say about it are that it's short and the rail nut needs to be easier to grasp.  With only 7" of leg, this one doesn't let you use a 30 round magazine.  

I bought it to see if I liked using a bipod, and I do, so now I'm researching a fancier, taller bipod.  It will probably be a Harris, if I can just make sense of their model numbers - their site is confusing and I don't think it's well organized.  Plus they term the ability to tilt from side to side "swiveling," which has me wondering if I need that feature.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top