Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2015 7:20:41 AM EDT
after my first trip to the range with my first ar-15 (which was picked up brand new through a transfer to the range) i realized that i would like a decent tactical case.

the issue that i see happening is that the barrel of the ar-15 is extremely hot after 100 rounds and will probably melt most plastics and foams.

any recommendations for a good hard case that would accommodate a "hot" firearm for transport from the range?

thanks in advance for the help, and sorry for the newbie question!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got an idea!  How about NOT putting a red hot AR into anybody's foam case!  Put it down on cardboard or an old towel, and let it cool for awhile before casing it.  I went through the case thing too.  I finally decided to go with a closed-cell case from Brownell's.  It's a good case; but I wouldn't be putting no red hot AR into it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
pull back on the charging handle,  lock the bolt back and leave the AR vertical for 5 minutes
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
appreciate the advice.

guess i should've worded my question a little differently. wasn't really meaning to put the red hot ar into a case right away. should've asked more to the point of best cooling before casing it.

thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Go grab a soft case of your choosing, SERT or Larue is my pick, but there are a million of them. After you find the one you want, go shell out for a corresponding size Pelican Case without foam and stick the soft case in it for transport. It will be expensive, but it will be the last setup will have to buy and it will work for multiple rifles of the same platform.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Blackhawk Homeland Security Discreet Case in a Pelican 1500.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<a href="http://www.ocabj.net/new-rifle-case-setup/" target="_blank">http://www.ocabj.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Ocab-20150327-081117-1200.jpg</a>
View Quote

Yo dawg, I heard you like to Operate, so we put a rifle case inside yo rifle case so you can bug out while you're buggin' out!

+1 to lock your bolt to the rear and let your gun air cool while you sweep up brass, take your targets down, and pack your gun up last. It should only take a few minutes to cool off.

Let your gun cool to the point where your barrel is warm but not hot. Like coffee temperature oughta be fine.
If you touch your gun and go "Fuckthat'shot!" It's still too hot.

I've been rocking the same Flambeau case that was 60 bux at Wally World for 5 years now, no cut foam or anything. This method hasn't ever let me down
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yo dawg, I heard you like to Operate, so we put a rifle case inside yo rifle case so you can bug out while you're buggin' out!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://www.ocabj.net/new-rifle-case-setup/" target="_blank">http://www.ocabj.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Ocab-20150327-081117-1200.jpg</a>

Beats cutting up foam and having to buy new foam because you're putting in a different gun in case.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1 to lock your bolt to the rear and let your gun air cool while you sweep up brass, take your targets down, and pack your gun up last. It should only take a few minutes to cool off.

Let your gun cool to the point where your barrel is warm but not hot. Like coffee temperature oughta be fine.

I've been rocking the same Flambeau case that was 60 bux at Wally World for 5 years now, no cut foam or anything. This method hasn't ever let me down
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome. I love putting things into things so i can do when i'm doing!!

Thanks to all for the suggestions. It just seemed to take forever for that barrel to cool down after the 1st trip. Will definitely do the bolt lock and air cool while cleaning up to help kill some time. Will probably get the AR rounds out of the way first, then bring out the pistols for a little more shooting during the cooldown.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top