Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2015 11:53:19 PM EDT
I’m looking for some pelican case layout feedback. Getting around to cutting the foam for my Recce build (Pelican 1700 case) and have two options.

I have some Polyethylene foam on the way next week and my wire cutter has been dusted off. Done a few cases in the past and I have the process down pretty good.

Option one is to keep it carbine and accessories only (picture #1)

Option 2 would be to include a G19/G-Code holster and belt slide (picture #2)

The expected uses – some local gun range/out in the desert shooting trips/maybe a class or two.

On one hand leaving the pistol out would give me room to add accessories in the future (suppressor/light)

On the other it might be nice to have the carbine and a primary pistol/holster in one package.

So, what say the group?

" />

" />
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I just remember to leave enough space to add a can and NVGs to the foam

So I'd go with option 2's layout, minus the pistol and pistol mags
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:07:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just remember to leave enough space to add a can and NVGs to the foam

So I'd go with option 2's layout, minus the pistol and pistol mags
View Quote

Something like this?

" />
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I went through this with a couple of Pelican cases.  Cut for what you have now or will be getting in the short term.  Replacement foam is cheap and easily available.

Of course, I also found that the Pelican cases get left in the garage and the guns tossed in a soft case, so its all a moot point.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Of course, I also found that the Pelican cases get left in the garage and the guns tossed in a soft case, so its all a moot point.  
View Quote

This may be true for a lot (or most) shooters, but I have a pretty good track record of transporting my more expensive carbine and rifles in a hard case. This would also explain how I was able to pick up my lightly used Pelicans for less than half price
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one or two foam layouts for my pelican cases. Then I changed one... Then I needed to change the other.... I soon realized the best option is to buy a soft case that fits in the pelican.

I now have two pelicans with correct sized soft cases with molle straps and various puches for all my stuff. When I want to change it, or add, or delet equipment, its as easy as just pulling some straps. I also find more and more is the soft case is fine for the trip to the range and the pelican case is only used for real backwoods trips or if I know I will be packing stuff in the truck and they may get piled on.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have no plans in the future to fly commercially with your weapon and accessories, you can
omit buying a hard case and use a decent padded soft case for personal vehicle transport and such.

Now...

If you are gonna fly commercial with your toys, do get the hard case, with foam cut to accommodate
your stuff.

As to the OP's choices, I would have the foam cut to accommodate the following:

*Primary weapon

*Secondary weapon (pistol)

*Optic for primary

*NVD

Remember, the case is to protect and secure sensitive/delicate/expensive stuff. Magazines don't normally fall under that
criteria. Thus, I personally would not allocate space for magazines. However, If you have space for the above AND have
room for magazines, then have at it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Soft cases - I own and often use them. For my more expensive builds (or ones with expensive optics) I like to transport in a hard case.

Soft case inside a pelican? Nice and a great suggestion, but if I am going to the effort and expense of using a hard case I will go ahead and cut foam.

Airline travel - very possible since I flew with my Mk12 Mod1 clone twice last year to help friends with their Prairie Dogs.

Magazines - I like at least 2 in the case with the carbine -otherwise it becomes an expensive single shot

Extras - I had someone suggest cutting out a large rectangle and make a few inserts out of the same thickness foam with cutouts to fit a primary pistol or other accessory - or leave the blank insert in the case as a space filler. I like that idea.  Nice and clean.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd recommend 1" of foam between the item and the wall of the case so you get proper protection when it's tossed around - if you ever plan on flying with it
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd recommend 1" of foam between the item and the wall of the case so you get proper protection when it's tossed around - if you ever plan on flying with it
View Quote

The picture is at a weird angle, but I have about 1.25 inches on either end of the carbine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Save the foam you remove.  You can always put it back in and re cut it to change it in the future.

For me, I would leave the mags in.  That way it's a complete package, no need to worry about if you have mags/ammo or not.  Mine stays ready to go, so I don't have to worry, I just open the peli, slap in a mag, and I'm shooting in seconds.

If it comes down to it, I'd prefer the last layout, IOW, leave the pistol out, and leave space to add stuff later.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are going to case a rifle with the optic on it in cut out foam, then flip it so the optic is on the handle side.

Everyone always lays it in the case so it looks pretty in a picture when you open it, but with the optic on the hinge side, everytime you set the case down on the ground, the weight of the rifle is dropping into the optic at the bottom of the case.

Flip it over and the optic isnt supporting any weight and being mashed between the foam and the rifle.

It looks cool when you open it up and everything is right side up, but its safer for the contents if the optic is closest to the handle side, or better yet, removed from the rifle and placed in its own spot near the handle side.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#13]
True, but if your optic won't hold zero through that, you need a new mount/optic.  

Mine are in closed cell foam, so the foam on the bb/handguard/stock hold it in place, the optic doesn't even touch.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top