Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/3/2015 7:49:06 AM EDT
I put together a video I thought you guys might like.  I finally got a quiet morning on the range, so I set my camera and supercardioid microphone next to the targets.  I took two shots - one unsuppressed, one suppressed - from each 100-yard berm all the way back to 600 yards.  While not exactly scientific, the results are enlightening.

Sound Suppressor Test

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Awsome awsome awsome test. Love the "CRACK --- PoP" effect you put in
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
no change really, could have left YHM off and heard the same report.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awsome awsome awsome test. Love the "CRACK --- PoP" effect you put in
View Quote

Thanks, man!  It's a rare day that my gun club is that quiet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
no change really, could have left YHM off and heard the same report.
View Quote

This might be an effect of the camera's audio limiter.  The impulse may very well be equal in the waveform's amplitude because they are getting crushed.  If you listen to the echoes, though, you can hear the difference.  Unsuppressed makes the whole valley ring; suppressed is a singular pop.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I was at a sniper competition once where we were 200 yards behind the firing line, and realized we couldn't hear the firing.  It was a windy day, but the suppressors were doing a lot to mask the location of the shooter from there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was at a sniper competition once where we were 200 yards behind the firing line, and realized we couldn't hear the firing.  It was a windy day, but the suppressors were doing a lot to mask the location of the shooter from there.
View Quote

Crikey; that's close!  That's an angle I should record sometime.  Maybe from the side, too.  In this case, my camera was directly downrange from the rifle.  That's gotta be the loudest angle.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top