Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2015 1:20:45 AM EDT
I currently have a Harris bipod which I love and have been switching it between two rifles.  Obviously this is not ideal.  I would like to get a second bipod but not sure I want to shell out the cash for another Harris. How are the offerings from Leapers UTG, Caldwell and NC Star?  They seem to use a similar design as Harris and cost less than 1/2 as much... reviews I have read have been positive for the UTGs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I currently have a Harris bipod which I love and have been switching it between two rifles.  Obviously this is not ideal.  I would like to get a second bipod but not sure I want to shell out the cash for another Harris. How are the offerings from Leapers UTG, Caldwell and NC Star?  They seem to use a similar design as Harris and cost less than 1/2 as much... reviews I have read have been positive for the UTGs.
View Quote

You get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This. I have a few Harris bipods and I love them, but I have a $20 UTG bipod on a cheap Remington 770 in 7MM Rem Mag and it has been perfect, but I wouldn't count on it for anything more than a bit of hunting and going to the range.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a caldwell from Academy on my 16" mid length that i use primarily for range plinking out to 250yds and it works fine. It's not as smooth and heavy duty feeling as a Harris or other but it serves its purpose for me. Just be sure to put loc-tite on the screws. I had mine come off once. I caught it before firing though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up a Blackhawk!!!!!!! brand bipod from walmart.  I have zero issues with it.  It is harris style for a fraction of the price.  I haven't really beat on it but it works.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I picked up a Blackhawk!!!!!!! brand bipod from walmart.  I have zero issues with it.  It is harris style for a fraction of the price.  I haven't really beat on it but it works.
View Quote

A forked stick works too.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a UTG bipod (TL-BP78) I've been using for years and am actually fairly impressed with it...especially for the price. It opens and closes solidly and gives a very sturdy front rest. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I do have experience with higher end bipeds as well. I had a nice Harris a few years back and currently own an Atlas. The UTG does a great job....even when compared to the top dogs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you using it to shoot off the bench or hunt?

If you are hunting with it, Google Varmit Al's Fur Pod Page.  I made one and it works great, depending on what you are using it for.  Made a few for friends as well.

Also, check out the Bog Pod, they have a light duty one for about $30 bucks.

If you buy another Harris, get a different size than the one you have so you have a variety of bipods to use for different applications.

They are all an accessory to use from one rifle to another.  Don't get two of the same thing.

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:34:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a UTG bipod (TL-BP78) I've been using for years and am actually fairly impressed with it...especially for the price. It opens and closes solidly and gives a very sturdy front rest. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I do have experience with higher end bipeds as well. I had a nice Harris a few years back and currently own an Atlas. The UTG does a great job....even when compared to the top dogs.
View Quote

This is one I have been considering... Probably my top choice at the moment.
Does this bipod swivel?
Also is the height sufficient to clear a 30 round mag when shooting from the bench or prone?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are you using it to shoot off the bench or hunt?

If you are hunting with it, Google Varmit Al's Fur Pod Page.  I made one and it works great, depending on what you are using it for.  Made a few for friends as well.

Also, check out the Bog Pod, they have a light duty one for about $30 bucks.

If you buy another Harris, get a different size than the one you have so you have a variety of bipods to use for different applications.

They are all an accessory to use from one rifle to another.  Don't get two of the same thing.

View Quote

Bench and from the prone.  Good advice BTW, I wont get two of the same.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have a harris on my Savage 110FP and picked up a Blackhawk for a 10/22 and it seems to be a pretty nice solid bipod

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone had any good experience with the foregrips that snap into a bipod?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:10:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not making a case for a the more expensive Harris any better.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
My experience with the cheap ones is limited to one Caldwell that was given to me.  Compared to my Harris pods, it is a bit more flimsy.  It does not go on straight, being slightly skewed to one side.  I can work with it and get it pretty straight.  The feet, when extended the same length also cant the rifle slightly to the side.  I can work with it and get it adjusted so that it is square and level, but it takes a bit of work.  Once in place and locked down, it does deploy and retract just fine and stays put.

I have relegated it to a .22LR bolt gun.  It stays on the rifle, so I don't have to go through all the realignment of the more slopply machined or stamped parts.  But, I can say this:  If mine is any example, for an "install once and use" without moving on a low recoiling rifle, it actually works fine.   Just don't think you are getting a Harris build quality, or that you can easily move it from rifle to rifle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
So I went with the Calwell, with swivel.  Same features as the Harris I have but a smaller size.  It works OK.  Definitely not as solidly built as the harris, nor does it work as welle but as always you get what you pay for.  For now, considering the price I payed.  I am happy with it.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top