Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2015 7:05:44 PM EDT
Hey everyone!

Does anyone know a way to make a reasonably priced target stand for AR500 steel targets (gongs)? I plan to hang them from 2 holes by chains in order to allow them to swing.

I was looking at some stand like this: https://shootingtargets7.com/store/target-stand.html

But paying $120 for a stand really isn't justifiable in my mind.

Anyone know any other cheap alternatives? The more compact the better, but I'll do anything right now. I heard shepards pole's were not really useful and targets would always fall off.

Thanks in advance!

-NW
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
1-1/2" PVC pipe & fittings maybe?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1-1/2" PVC pipe & fittings maybe?
View Quote

I currently use this for my paper target stands 1' pipe, T join, 1' pipe for each side of the base. Then 6' 2x2 pine on each leg with a 2' 2x2 pine cross section., I absolutely hate it.

Not totally sure how it would hold us with steel either
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Google rebar target stand and you should get some ideas for a pretty cheap set up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Would shepards hooks work to shoot gong style targets?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Guy in my club built his by making two braced A frames out of 2X4 lumber.  Brace about half way down.  Then a triangle of 3/4 plywood at the top on each side.  Hole drilled in triangles for 3/4 inch pipe to hang the gongs from.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Skip the chain and use fire hose or hay baler belting from Tractor Supply... then the targets will not twist and swing back and forth as much and the hose and belt are much more durable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Make what would basically be a really wide saw horse.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:04:09 AM EDT
[#8]
If you know someone that welds find some scrap and make an upside down L to hang them from. Less chance of shooting your stand if the steel is hanging off to the side.

Or find something you can bend and make an upside down U.

The saw horse is another good idea but it's definitely more pieces for a single target. Great idea if you're looking to hang multiple pieces of steel.

Tripod with the target hanging from the center would work too. You can get 3 2x2 and a door hinge, drill holes in the 2x2 and attach the door hinge for an easy folding tri pod.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Rebar is probably the cheapest and easiest.  You can literally bend it around a tree without any tools and make it work, but it's not the best.  I welded up several out of scrap pipe and angle iron.  

I also have several frames from real estate signs I use.  They are great, light and easy to set up, and you can use them with no modifications.  But they aren't as durable as pipe or heavier angle, I've shot some of them in two.

I've also hung swingers directly from tree limbs.  And I second the fire hose/ belt over chain.  I use nylon webbing, and you can shoot it a lot of times before it breaks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
There was a guy at the gun show selling a pair of triangular plates that took t-posts to form a horse type of gong stand. They were $35 a pair. Wish I took a card,  the bars  just slipped through triangle slots cut in the metal plates, no fasteners needed easy to set up and take down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]
You're supposed to hit the steel, right?

I was at the Oregon HTF shoot three weeks ago and someone brought some steel, attached to a straight 4x4 with a chain.  The 4c4 was attached to a mail post stake from Home Depot.  The system worked great.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Pvc will shatter from shards or spalling.. If u can weld that's the best.. If not, then go to hardware store and get some threaded gas pipe and elbows.. Make legs to either push in ground or shaped like a bird foot so it don't wobble.. Threaded will also allow u to disassemble easily.

I welded one up out of extra pipe I had laying around. This is what I made, what's hanging is a piece of semi frame channel. Great for handguns and .22. 556 goes right thru it, so I hang cardboard too for bigger stuff. Want some ar500. Nothing beats hearing that sound. I do recommend not sighting in with it.. Cuz if u hit stand it goes right thru. And don't let a shitty shooting friend use it, comes back looking like Swiss cheese.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll take some picture when I go shooting next but I made a stand out of 1 5/8"  (Deep) unistrut. I used 3/8" nuts and bolts to put it together. I have a welder but I wanted each piece to be easily replaced should damage occur. remove 2 wing nuts and it separates into 3 sections (2 sides and cross brace) and store flat in the back of my FJ Cruiser. Easy to put up, take down, store, and repair.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top