Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/4/2015 10:18:38 PM EDT
Looking for a good comfortable set of electronic ear muffs.  Have had some that sucks while wearing eye protection.   Looking at the MSA line.  Recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Howard Leight Impact Sports. They seem to be a common choice and well liked. I'm planning to give them a try and retire my bulbous pair of chainsaw muffs.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buy once cry once and get a pair of Peltor Comtacs
View Quote

What he said!  
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a couple of cheaper Peltor options.

Peltor TAC 100 at Home Depot for $70. It has an audio port for comms/music. -
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Peltor-Tactical-100-Electronic-Hearing-Protector-TAC100-OTH/205139061?PID=3966477

Peltor Tactical 6S low profile at Wal-Mart for $55 -
http://mobile.walmart.com/#ip/Peltor-Electronic-Tactical-6S-Hearing-Protection-Low-Profile-97044/32707036?type=search

I have both and they've both been solid so far.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a firm believer in this concept.  I've tried the HL muffs and they are uncomfortable with ear stems.  I think Peltor and MSA are going to be my choices.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Howard Leight Impact Sports. They seem to be a common choice and well liked. I'm planning to give them a try and retire my bulbous pair of chainsaw muffs.
View Quote

I seemed to get more wind noise from the Peltors so I bought Howard Leights and Im happy with them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm a firm believer in this concept.  I've tried the HL muffs and they are uncomfortable with ear stems.  I think Peltor and MSA are going to be my choices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same issue with either muff surefire plugs help with that issue.
http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/hearing-protection.html
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I also use the HL Impact Sport muffs and they work well with eye protection.

If I'm at an indoor range or shooting next to my buddies I throw some Surefire EP4's under the HL's.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Howard Leight Impact Sports. I find them really comfortable and have never had an issue with them crapping out on my or bad battery life. I wear RX glasses 24/7 and I've had no issues with the muffs, fit well, getting a good cheek weld isn't hard either imo. On a side note, if I take off my glasses I find it a pain in the ass to put them back on with the muffs still on, not a big deal to me but my $.02
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Howard Leights, after trying a few other brands that belonged to friends I went with the Howard Leights,  Being able to plug in a mp3 player may be a plus for some.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here's a couple of cheaper Peltor options.

Peltor TAC 100 at Home Depot for $70. It has an audio port for comms/music. -
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Peltor-Tactical-100-Electronic-Hearing-Protector-TAC100-OTH/205139061?PID=3966477

Peltor Tactical 6S low profile at Wal-Mart for $55 -
http://mobile.walmart.com/#ip/Peltor-Electronic-Tactical-6S-Hearing-Protection-Low-Profile-97044/32707036?type=search

I have both and they've both been solid so far.
View Quote

I've gone through two pairs of the Peltor Tactical 6S's.  They worked great at first, but overtime developed a static sound to the audio even with new batteries.

I've got two pairs of Peltor Comtac III's and love them.

Also, not sure if you all that have the comtacs are aware, but they are fully programmable, at least the comtac III's are as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a set of Howard Leight Impact Sports to replace my big Peltor non electronic muffs.  Haven't had them at the range yet but I'm impressed with how natural the sound is with them on and the mics turned on.  They are fairly comfortable and have a better nrr rating than most of the other electronics including the Peltors I saw.  I have some big non electronic Peltors that I chose because of their high nrr rating and I can really tell the difference between the two, the non electronic ones blocking almost all sound.  I usually wore ear plugs with my Peltors at the indoor range and will certainly need them with the electronic ones.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is just because something cost more doesn't necessarily make it a better product. I'm not saying which one is better and the Peltors may have better electronics but the ones I looked at didn't have a better better nrr rating in fact when I was shopping for muffs I found that most of them had very low nrr ratings.  Just make sure whatever you go with give you ear protection, that's paramount.  If they don't have a good nrr rating then the electronics are irrelevant because everything is going to get through anyway.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
FWIW.... I recently asked about this topic and did a little research on my own to learn more about it. I eventually narrowed my choice down to either the Howard Leight Impact Sports or the Peltor Tactical Sports. I stopped by my local range a week or two later and coincidentally there was a guy there using the Peltor's and two using the HL's. I struck up a conversation with them about their choices and they allowed me to try them for myself. Both muffs performed pretty much the same but I ended up going with the HL's because for me they felt more comfortable with my glasses on and I liked their ergonomics better. The only down side between the two was that the Peltors, which are a bit on the bulky side, kept getting in the way when I would shoulder the rifle. Getting a quick cheek weld with the HL's was much easier.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#14]
These actually work quite well for some uses like hunting or LE. Peltor TEP-100 Not sure they would be the best for general range use though.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used both the headband and neckband versions of the MSA Sordins. The headbands were easily the most comfortable set I've owned. I just got the neckband version in as it is more versatile with hats and such. So far I don't think it's quite as comfortable as the headband but the jury is still out. Get the gel cushions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
What they said.

Quoted:

What he said!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said!  

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top