Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2015 10:35:56 PM EDT
Looking into getting into the "elite" world of NFA ownership.  I'd like to buy a supressor.  No, not currently in the miltary or working as a contractor in Afghanastan.  Just a recreational shooter with a Rock River 5.56 who would like to be able to shoot without hearing protection.  

Any recommendations on a brand and model?  Gonna go the "gun trust" route to handle the legalities.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
We have a supressor section under the armory tab. I still wear hearing protection shooing anything going supersonic. 5.56 isn't hearing safe even with a can being used.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Making my first suppressor purchases pretty soon as well (as soon as I move). After a bunch of research I'm personally leaning towards the Saker 762 for maximum versatility. It's a .30 cal suppressor but it works equally well on 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have a supressor section under the armory tab. I still wear hearing protection shooing anything going supersonic. 5.56 isn't hearing safe even with a can being used.
View Quote

+1 to this.  A 223/556 bullet in flight has a sonic crack and meters about 140 Db, which is loud enough to damage hearing.  You can get by with /less/ hearing protection but its still recommended.

Cans are gret tho.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Your choice will first depend on how much you want to spend, then how much weight you are willing to add to the end of your barrel. I recently purchased my first suppressor and I had to consider both of these issues. I went with a Dakota Silencer Varmiter 2.0 that is from Mack Brothers . Go to the Armory tab then the Suppressor forum for more info.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
While I won't make a specific recommendation, I will suggest getting a 30 caliber QD can.  By purchasing multiple mounts, you can move it from your Rock River 5.56 to a 300 Blackout, to a 300WM (provided the manufacturer warrants it.)  Even if you don't have something that large, once you start down the rabbit hole, there is no going back.  I swore up and down that I had no need for a .308 can.  Now I have a suppressed Remington 700 in .308 and I'm nearing completion on an AR in .260 Rem.

Some examples of these (in no particular order)
Silencerco Specwar 7.62
Silencerco Saker 7.62
Advanced Armament 762-SD
Advanced Armament 762-SDN6
Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 7.62

Be forewarned, asking which brand in the suppressor forum is akin to asking Ford vs Chevy on a car forum.  Also ask in your hometown forum if any locals have suppressors you are interested in.  Hear them first hand.  Db reduction numbers don't tell the whole story, tone is all about personal preference.

One last thing.   Before you rush out and buy what's in stock on your local dealer's shelf, check this thread for deals:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/434983_Deals_on_suppressors.html&page=35
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I would get a 7.62 can because you can change the end cap thing(don't know name) and about the same db+/- as a dedicated 556 can with the added capability of different calibers. Sliencerco makes good stuff as does surefire and nights armament(expensive though). Silencerco seems to have a good rep I'd look into them good.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I won't make a specific recommendation, I will suggest getting a 30 caliber QD can.  By purchasing multiple mounts, you can move it from your Rock River 5.56 to a 300 Blackout, to a 300WM (provided the manufacturer warrants it.)  Even if you don't have something that large, once you start down the rabbit hole, there is no going back.  I swore up and down that I had no need for a .308 can.  Now I have a suppressed Remington 700 in .308 and I'm nearing completion on an AR in .260 Rem.

Some examples of these (in no particular order)
Silencerco Specwar 7.62
Silencerco Saker 7.62
Advanced Armament 762-SD
Advanced Armament 762-SDN6
Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 7.62

Be forewarned, asking which brand in the suppressor forum is akin to asking Ford vs Chevy on a car forum.  Also ask in your hometown forum if any locals have suppressors you are interested in.  Hear them first hand.  Db reduction numbers don't tell the whole story, tone is all about personal preference.

One last thing.   Before you rush out and buy what's in stock on your local dealer's shelf, check this thread for deals:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/434983_Deals_on_suppressors.html&page=35
View Quote

This. Get a .30 cal can.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Silencerco Omega with 5.56mm flat endcap.  Order it from Silencershop and use a trust you made yourself.  Optimally, you'll pick up a top-end adjustable LPGB to tune the gas, several excellent offerings that have emerged this past year.  I echo recommendations for a .30 cal can with a 5.56mm endcap.

Common mistakes 1st timer NFA folks make.

#1 = buying locally almost always equals paying 10-40% markup
#2 = Paying some sleazy local lawyer $300+ to make a trust you could have done better in 45 minutes at home

Also, echo that NO can is technically hearing safe when running 5.56mm through an AR pattern rifle.  If you need to run without earpro, get a 300BLK upper and subs.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top