Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/1/2015 10:49:21 AM EDT
Wasn't sure exactly which sub-forum to post this in so my apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I've just recently gotten back into shooting again after inheriting a few guns when my father passed away. We did a lot of shooting when I was MUCH younger but I didn't really have the time or money for it as I got older and had more important things to worry about. Growing up and being a responsible adult can really get in the way of having fun at times.  

Anyway... I was forced into an early retirement after a failed back surgery so now that I've got all this free time on my hands I've got time to get back into shooting again. I've been using some old school muffs my father had and they work fine and all but they're a bit bulky and not very comfortable. I've just recently learned about electronic ear muffs and I'd like to know a bit more about them. If any of you use them what do you use and how did you make your decision on what you eventually ended up buying? Your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy some it's some of the best money you will ever spend imo...

I have only had a few diffrent sets my first set of peltors were the cheap ones batteries were a pita to change.

I now have a set of these http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2
and these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160677/peltor-tacsport-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-20db-black

Both are easy to change the batteries i prefer the howard leight ones when shooting rifle.
Keep them next to my rifle / bed guns are loud inside
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
mr.gunsandgear did a video on the 3m peltors last month.   it's  on youtube.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Howard Leight impact 2. Definitely recommend...small and work great.  Also allows a good cheekweld.  My thicker muffs prevent a good check weld. If you shoot indoors they aren't quite enough protection but I put ear plugs in under the muffs. But I don't shoot indoors very often. They are great for outdoors. Also a good price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to look into this further.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I can think of no downside to most of the modern electronic ear muffs except one, and then only to certain individuals.  And I'm not talking about just for shooting range application.  The one exception that some have trouble with is how some/all muffs can interfere with a shooter's cheek weld on some rifles.  This is not an absolute since it depends on the rifle and how a shooter shoulders their rifle.

For me the electronic ear muffs are about the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I use them at the range and for hunting.  I often shoot a .308 AR, and even one shot is freakin' brutal to long term hearing damage...and a non-suppressed 5.56 isn't exactly an air rifle.  I don't have any cheek weld issues or problematic ear muff contact with my firearm stocks.  I use a slim, tapered model of electronic muff, so that probably helps.  It's just a good idea to keep this in mind when considering and selecting muffs.  I do a lot of walking around while hunting in my area, and sometimes a shot for pigs or a coyote just pop up without warning or preparation with no reasonable opportunity for installing ear plugs.  The electronic muffs I use enhance surrounding sounds to a small degree.  I can tell from being around other hunter friends that electronic ear muffs aren't for everyone, so you probably won't know until you try them under actual use.  I'd recommend a cheap set of $25 Caldwell electronic slim muffs and see how they work for you.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top