Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2014 2:02:42 AM EDT
I have tried different points both front and rear on my 14.5" M4 clone along with adjusting the sling length but cant seem to get a comfortable combination.

I shoot right handed and want a setup that will enable a quick transition from carrying/walking with it to raising it up to shoot.

I have QD points on the end of adjustable buttstock, QD endplate for rear of rifle and a moveable QD sling attachment to go anywhere on the hand guard.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Well you have QD's on each end of the sling. Good to go there.

You really need a sling with some kind quick adj buckle near the end that attaches to the front of the rifle
that will enable you to quickly shorten or lengthen it. This will allow you to keep it high and tight to your body when not firing
and looser when shooting.

I find the best place for the rear attach point is at the end of the receiver and not the butt stock. Using your end plate adapter
will help keep the rifle higher on your body when in the carry position.

I like the front attachment at the front of the receiver. Keeps the sling out of the way when grabbing the hand guard. I don't use the sling for a shooting base.

Be sure your QD sockets are limited rotation or you will be forever untwisting the sling.

Watch this video, see what you think and get back to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5b7VXUU78
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for a sling suggestion or what?  I'm not sure what you are asking.

I use the endplate as my point of primary attachment.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for a sling suggestion or what?  I'm not sure what you are asking.

View Quote

Not looking for a sling suggestion.

Was curious as to where most peoples attachment points are on the rifle.  Both front and rear to enable carrying/walking and a quick transition to firing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Was curious as to where most peoples attachment points are on the rifle.  Both front and rear to enable carrying/walking and a quick transition to firing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming you are right handed, here is what I have taught for years for my two point slings. Mount the front to the left side most or all of the way forward. Mount the rear on the RIGHT side as far back as possible. (reverse for LH use) The strap goes over your right shoulder and under your left arm. Then you have your carbine held closely to your body when carrying it with the butt near your right shoulder and muzzle down. You just bring it up to aim and shoot. If you then need to shoot from the left shoulder, just place your right hand on the magazine housing, lengthen the sling with your left hand, place your left hand on the pistol grip, and change shoulders. You must have a quick adjust 2 pt. for this. Mounting the rear on the off side rearmost position on the stock keeps the sling from choking you when you do this.

You then have the most control over your carbine while carrying it, instant aim and fire, and the fastest transition from strong side to weak side.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:57:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Good advice given above, lots of personal preference involved so some experimentation may be in order.
My final setup is shown below, the only reason I didn't use a QD sling swivel on the rear is the Magpul QD socket on their STR buttstock isn't rotation-limited:

Tomac
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#6]
For a 2 point I like it attached at the butstock, and as close to the muzzle as possible.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:19:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I've grown to prefer the receiver end plate and rear of the fore-grip combo.

Makes it easier for me to transition to the weak side shoulder if needed, and once I add a QD triglide to the sling, it'll be convertible to a single point setup if desired.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, just what I described in my post.

If a person added an additional QD socket to the butt stock and front of the hand guard he could instantly
convert to any of the positions/combinations discussed in this thread.

Then as you suggested using a single point/two point convertible sling would give the ultimate in versatility.

Quoted:
I've grown to prefer the receiver end plate and rear of the fore-grip combo.

Makes it easier for me to transition to the weak side shoulder if needed, and once I add a QD triglide to the sling, it'll be convertible to a single point setup if desired.  

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25626665/Gear/G58002.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I run far forward on the handguard and far rear on the buttstock, but on the opposite side of the stock.

Video explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITPdQzN89to
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top