Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2014 11:44:38 AM EDT
I posted earlier this week asking which rear sling mount for my Colt LE. I probably need to decide which sling to get before I decide how to mount it. So does anyone have experience with any of the following?

MS1 Sling
MS3 Gen2
MS3 Single QD Gen 2
MS4 Dual QD Gen 2

I have zero experience in slings. Also, my Colt has a Magpul CTR stock and Midwest Industries Gen 2 rail (if that makes a difference)
I shoot pretty regularly at my dad's farm, but we pull our trucks right up to where we shoot from, so I set the rifle on the tailgate when shooting others. It would really be for if the SHTF.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither, VTAC is the only sling you need to look at. At least it works for me, you should try one yourself. Check out the VTAC videos on Youtube.com.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Out of the Magpul slings you are interested in I have only experienced the MS1 sling which I gave to my son mounted on his Colt LE6920 M4 carbine, he have the Colt barrel mounted side sling swivel at the front sight base and the Colt standard M4 waffle type buttstock.

The Magpul sling are good slings but the MS1 is just a basic sling, my son will upgrade it himself with different Magpul adapters like the QD swivel mounts when he installs a rail system and a buttstock with a QD sling mount.

Personally I prefer the LaRue Tactical padded sling, it is made for them by Viking Tactics except the LaRue version have built-in QD sling swivels included and are the padded version.

You would need to buy two QD push button sling swivels if you get a sling without them to mount on your rail and CTR buttstock.

Here's the vid instruction of the Viking Tactics sling and it would be the similar to the LaRue sling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhojNCdksYw

Ref:

LaRue Tactical Padded sling link:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-padded-sling

Viking Tactics non padded sling if you prefer the sling without any padding:

http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk1.htm

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
One of my ARs is a 6920 with a CTR and I have experience with most of the Magpul slings.  Many people like them.  Some folks swear by them.  Other folks prefer something else.  I am not going to get into the debate of what brand is best, but I can probably help reduce the confusion in the Magpul sling line.

It helps to start with the fact that anything other than an MS1 is a kit.  The MS1 is the sling part of the kit and it comes in three types:

• Gen 1 MS1 - discontinued, but it still shows up on sale fairly regularly (like today in an MS4 kit).  It has a loop that many folks, myself included, do not like.

• Gen 2 MS1 - current version with a slider.  Much better.

• Padded MS1 - New version of Gen 2 that is padded.  Just hit the streets and is expensive...as in $50 for just the sling.  Ouch.  I picked up a non-padded Gen 2 at Midway last week on sale for $14...so I am hoping to see better sale prices on the padded version soon.

You then need to add hardware to use it as a convertible single and two point sling...and that hardware depends on how you plan to connect it to your rifle.

If you have QD connection points on your rail, stock, and rear of your lower receiver, you need these two things:

Magpul also sells the non-padded Gen 2 MS1 sling and these two hardware items together as the MS4 Dual QD Sling.

I have this setup for my DDM4 and it works great.

In contrast, my 6920 has a sling swivel on the FSB and I have added another clip-in sling attachment point on my handguard.  My CTR stock has a QD connection point and I also added another one on the rear of my lower receiver.  Thus, I needed to add these two pieces to that AR's MS1:

Again, Magpul sells all of these items bundled together.  In this case, it's called the MS3 Single QD Sling.

If instead, you have clip-in sling attachment points on both ends of your AR, you need an MS1-MS3 Adapter instead of the MS1-MS3 QD adapter listed above, but you still need the Paraclip.  Again, Magpul sells all of these items bundled together.  In this case, it's called the MS3 Sling.  (no QD)

Thus far they have not started bundling the padded Gen 2 sling in any of the kits.  If your sling is just for the range and SHTF, then padding may not be a big deal, but if you plan on carrying the rifle for hours, it makes life better.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
BFG 221 Sling Padded, nuff said
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Vickers/BlueForce Gear Slings are best slings
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The ms4 dual QD is a great single to dual point convertible sling if that's what you are looking for.  Blue Force Gear vickers are very good two point slings.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Im looking hard at the MS1 padded since I love my MS3 but it does not adjust easy like the MS1.

I would use MS3 2-1 attachments on the MS1 as well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither, VTAC is the only sling you need to look at. At least it works for me, you should try one yourself. Check out the VTAC videos on Youtube.com.
View Quote

+1, VTAC is the way to go. I had a magpul sling I tried to use for a while, I thought they were good based on alot of peoples reviews and it was just me getting used to it. Eventually I just said F%$& it and got a VTAC,
Best sling ever, period.

EDIT: for all you whimps saying "padded sling".... grow a pair... ask someone who does this stuff for a living they will tell you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1, VTAC is the way to go. I had a magpul sling I tried to use for a while, I thought they were good based on alot of peoples reviews and it was just me getting used to it. Eventually I just said F%$& it and got a VTAC,

Best sling ever, period.

EDIT: for all you whimps saying "padded sling".... grow a pair... ask someone who does this stuff for a living they will tell you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Best sling ever, period.

USMC03 prefers padded slings.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought the MagPul MS4 Gen 2 (QD) and it wasn't happy with how it never really stayed where I wanted it to stay. I would get it adjusted to where I wanted the gun to rest when not being held, but being a single point, the rifle would have the tendency to bounce around putting the rifle in random positions.

I switched to a Blue Force Gear VCAS with QD mounts (front and rear) and prefer the two-point sling. I'll grant you that the single point is better for maneuverability, but the two-point doesn't suffer too much except in shoulder transitions and you can learn how to do those with a two-point. I just like the stability of the two-point sling, especially when it has a quick adjust (slack) like the VCAS.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top