Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/24/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
I have a few Magpul stocks that I would like to install QD sling swivel sockets, but those little parts are NOT cheap. I could have sworn I once read about a much lower priced alternative. I've been searching around a lot and the closest thing I've found is Uncle Mike's QD 10 pack.

Anyone know of any lower priced alternatives that will work? I can drill & tap threads if necessary.

I have some CTR stocks, a Magpul fixed rifle stock and a Magpul shotgun stock. I'm sure I'll have more Magpul stocks in the near future too, but I really want to have QD sling swivel sockets in all my weapons so I can use a Magpul MS4 sling with all of them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone use these GrovTec Sling Swivel Bases?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used a ton of the grovtec swivel cups (although I tend to favor the non rotation limited ones)

Mix up a little epoxy, drill a hole, assemble and let dry.    They work very well.  You can get them straight from GrovTec too but I get the feeling they sell to resellers mostly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used a ton of the grovtec swivel cups (although I tend to favor the non rotation limited ones)

Mix up a little epoxy, drill a hole, assemble and let dry.    They work very well.  You can get them straight from GrovTec too but I get the feeling they sell to resellers mostly.
View Quote

I emailed GrovTec yesterday afternoon asking what the overall height of their Limited Rotation Push Button Bases and the height from the base to the top of the threaded portion of their Non-Rotating Push Button Bases. Haven't heard back yet, but will report back when I do.

I think I could easily tap some threads into the hole in my Magpul stocks and install the GrovTec bases with a little epoxy.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Screw it ... I just ordered 2 sets of these: GrovTec Sling Swivel Bases Push Button Limited Rotation Steel Black

Cost me $18.97 including shipping to my door.

Sure beats paying $13 + shipping for a single Magpul Sling Mount Kit - Type 1.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thinking these  might be closer to what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
The bases on those look very similar to the Uncle Mike's QD 10 pack bases I listed in my first post. I believe those also allow full rotation. I think I'm more interested in getting 'limited rotation' bases so it won't allow my sling to get all twisted up.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I just received 2 sets of these GrovTec QD sling swivel bases today! I started with my Magpul MOE Rifle Stock.

I took a 9/16-18 thread tap and simply tapped threads directly into the holes intended for the Magpul QD Sling Mount Kit. No drilling necessary.

I applied blue Loctite to the threads and screwed it right in there using an allen wrench. Those little notches in the face of the base indicated the rotation index of the QD sling swivels. Those notches made it very easy to know when to stop tightening the base while judging the resistance felt during instillation.

The GrovTec QD bases work flawlessly as far as I can tell. They are not too short and not too long. They bottom out perfectly within the hoes in the Magpul stocks. They screw in nice & tight.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Next I installed GrovTec QD bases in my Magpul SGA stock.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
ARgonot, thank you for sharing that! That's some good work there! That info is great to know.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ARgonot, thank you for sharing that! That's some good work there! That info is great to know.
View Quote

No problem MaverickAA.

I just noticed that the Magpul QD bases are not flush. The GrovTec bases are!

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:16:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I just want to bump this because I feel it is very useful and shouldn't go to the archives.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure how loctite reacts to Magpul's polymer but it does eat through some types of plastic.  I would be weary of using loctite when screwing the QD mounts into the stocks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Nevermind, didn't think before posting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I agree, this should be a sticky for "QD sockets to fit (almost) anything"
This simple, effective, and robust idea would save people LOT's of time needlessly searching for just the right QD mount specific to their stock/forend.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just received 2 sets of these GrovTec QD sling swivel bases today!
View Quote

You think I could just mix up some epoxy and glue these in place? I have the MOE Fixed carbine stock but I cant seem to find the 9/16 tap anywhere near me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You think I could just mix up some epoxy and glue these in place? I have the MOE Fixed carbine stock but I cant seem to find the 9/16 tap anywhere near me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think the hole is big enough without tapping it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grovtec sells the same base in a non threaded form as well. If you cant tap it (or find the right tap), you could drill out to size, and epoxy the NON threaded GrovTec rotation limited bases in there (if they don't fit "as is" out of the box, which they might). The epoxy-in (non threaded) versions are also available at Midway as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been toying with the idea of installing some of these on my Magpul PRS stock. I've taken my stock apart twice now and I have a feeling I know right where these can be installed. IF/when I do that I will be sure to post pics.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I was finally able to find the correct size thread tap. I threaded the hole on the fixed carbine stock and the grovetec swivel cups screwed right in. The setup works great with my vtac.

Thanks guys for discovering this. It's totally worth the extra minute of labor to have the limited rotation unlike magpuls brand.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I never checked this thread before because I'm generally happy with Magpul's sockets, but man - these are great for all sorts of uses!  I just ordered a few packs of the sockets from Midway, they're on sale right now.  $23 shipped for three packs.

Thanks, ARgonot!
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Why couldn't you heat it up and thread it in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why couldn't you heat it up and thread it in.
View Quote

That was my thought also. Seems like a possibility for those that do not have a tap of the proper size and it would probably seat tight enough that epoxy/glue would not be necessary.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#23]
The proper tap cost me all of $7 shipped on eBay - no need to WECSOG it.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top