Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2014 11:09:32 PM EDT
I just bought a Magpul MOE handguard, and unfortunately it has sharp flashing running along the entire length of both sides of the bottom half, which digs into my hand and doesn't feel very comfortable. I was considering trying to sand it down but I'm concerned about how it'll look afterwards. Has anyone ever done this? If so, is there a specific sandpaper type or grit you'd recommend for the task?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe try a razor blade before sanding.  It'll be a little more precise shaving down the flash than sanding the whole area.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
where did you buy it? possibly a fake. if you think it's the real deal, post in the magpul forum before you mar it up, they'll probably replace it for you.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/124_Magpul.html

if you bought it from a potentially sketchy seller, i'd go the refund route.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]
if you insist on sanding it iv'e done it to an afg2 and it came out alright just use the highest grit sandpaper you can find.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#4]
On polymer items w/flash, I gently use a fine-toothed rattail file and it works great, just don't get too aggressive w/the file.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My concern with using a razor blade is that I might gouge the plastic. The flashing is literally only a couple of hairs widths tall.

I bought it from Combat Armory. I guess it could be a fake, but if it is it's a good one because to me at least it looks pretty legit. I might ask in that Magpul subforum, thanks for pointing it out.

sauceboss and Tomac, after sanding/filing, did you notice any difference in the finish? Did it look like you sanded or filed it? The handguard is of course black so I'm concerned that in the area I sand or file it it'll look like a light gray/white line along that area.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Use a knife blade at 90* angle. Flashing scrapes off easily and that way you won't gouge the plastic.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top