Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2014 8:13:48 PM EDT
I just need something big enough to haul my 16 LWT carbine, G19, (5) rifle mags and (5) pistol mags.  

What cases are you guys using?  And, can you put up a pic of your stuff in the case, please??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I suggest you get a soft case that fits in a hard case. I'll look later and see what I have.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything broken down, a Pelican 1700 should fit it all.

Where are you located?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suggest you get a soft case that fits in a hard case. I'll look later and see what I have.
View Quote

I have an Eagle discrete soft case that I bought which, I guess holds the rifle okay, but what about the pistol? Hmm, I guess I can just wrap it in something so it won't move around so much, right?  

Actually, the more that I think about it, I think that this is the better way to go instead of dicking around with the foam.

I'd like to see some pics, if you have any.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Everything broken down, a Pelican 1700 should fit it all.

Where are you located?
View Quote

West coast.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Flying or driving?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll be in for some of the best training available.

Paul Howe is fine gentlemen and ferocious warrior.

When I drive to CSAT, I just put my carbines in soft cases.

Of course, if you're flying you'll need to comply with all TSA Regs.

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#7]
ok, if you were local I would've let you use one of my 1700 or 1750's

ETA: A 1700, 20, or 50 should fit what you have.  Broken up, a 16" AR, a Glock, and assorted mags should fit.  My cases are in the attic or else I'd take pictures for you.  CJ should have something.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have an Eagle discrete soft case that I bought which, I guess holds the rifle okay, but what about the pistol? Hmm, I guess I can just wrap it in something so it won't move around so much, right?  

Actually, the more that I think about it, I think that this is the better way to go instead of dicking around with the foam.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an eagle. There are places to put a pistol, or a smaller pistol case.

The hard case is an iM3100.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I'm flying, so I gotta be in line with all the regs.  Thanks for all the feedback and actual offer to use a case (scout!).  This is what makes ARFCOM such a great site.

CombatJack, Ill look into that case. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#10]
CombatJack: I found the case. So, you just take out the foam and stick the soft case in? Whats the deal?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I ordered mine without foam at a significant savings.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:51:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Does the soft case fit in there snug?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does the soft case fit in there snug?
View Quote

Perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:07:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Wrong info posted.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=EYDCCAR15LER

I got one of these for like $36. If I could go back and do it again I would get a shorter one.

Actually a friend and I are planning on designing one when we get around to it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:17:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I just measured it and I was wrong. I do have the smaller one like the one you linked to above.  That seals it then. I'll just buy the hard case w/out the foam and stick the Eagle case in it. I take it you have flown using this set-up? And, the Eagle case does not shift around in the Storm case?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:24:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just measured it and I was wrong. I do have the smaller one like the one you linked to above.  That seals it then. I'll just buy the hard case w/out the foam and stick the Eagle case in it. I take it you have flown using this set-up? And, the Eagle case does not shift around in the Storm case?
View Quote

It can slide about an inch either way, though when fully loaded the thing can't move much because it's compressed. No risk of damage. Can't remember flying with it but there is no way anything is going to get damaged. I've flown three continents in 24 hours with a Pelican case before and they are tough as shit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats good to hear, as I thought that, maybe, the Pelican case was deep enough to allow the soft case to move up and down and possibly fuck something up. But, it sounds like once you close the thing up that there is some lateral movement but no vertical movement.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Depends on how much stuff you put in the case.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, if it comes down to it, I could always use bubble wrap to make it a tighter fight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Sir,

If you are flying with those weapons, I sincerely/strongly suggest that you use foam in the case (preferably custom foam).

Do you have optics mounted on the carbine? If yes, then do not go the soft case inside the hard case route.

Why?

I work at a major airport and I have seen first hand what happens to luggage once it disappears into the bowels
of the terminal. It is not a pretty thing to watch.

There is the lore of gorilla-like baggage handlers, but, the most consistent culprit of bag damage is the
automated bag handling systems that most airports use. There are battering rams that slap the bags from one conveyor
to the next.

Then, there are the baggage trains (carts pulled by buggies...you see em' running around all over). I have personally seen bags fall off
these trains. At night, bags fall off and get hit/run-over by vehicles.

Lastly, the bags occasionally fall off the conveyor when being loaded/unloaded from the aircraft.

The last thing you need is to open your case down in TX and find a damaged optic/rifle.

Invest in a good case with foam. You'll sit back on the airplane, sipping your favorite beverage, thinking about training at CSAT and not worrying about whether or not your weapons will show up undamaged.

Sure, a case with foam is not cheap, but, it is a one-time investment that pays for itself over the years that you own and travel with firearms.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#22]
That bad, huh?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That bad, huh?
View Quote

Folks will willingly spend thousands on a single firearm, yet balk at spending $1500 on a safe.

Same goes for spending on cases.

I'll say this:

If you don't plan on traveling via commercial air with firearms, then a hard case w/ foam is
optional.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Just added a new Pelican case to the ones I have

DIFFERENCE with this one is the price.
While it IS a Pelican made case, it's marked/labelled as "Browning Travel Vault" (Model #5015, they also do the Peli.1750 as the #5115)
MUCH lower RRP in comparison to the equivalent Pelican sold products

May save a few $$$ that way but still have the extra protection of Pelican made items
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top