Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2014 11:47:06 AM EDT
I am putting together a build for someone interested in a 16" barrel AR15 with a conventional 3x9 scope and wants a sling that will allow him to back-carry the rifle while on an ATV or on horseback. He does NOT want a saddle/ATV scabbard or rack, he wants to carry it.

Any real-world experience and/or advice? Pictures would be especially helpful. I've googled but saw/read nothing I'm convinced would work well for him. I prefer Vickers/BFG, but would consider other brands to get something that will suit his needs.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
A good 2 point sling is what you want.   VTAC That said...riding a horse with a rifle slung on your back is going to be super uncomfortable really fast. You want a scabbard.  ATV is almost as bad.  Put a set of racks on the front of your ATV.  Much faster to grab your rifle out of the rack than off your back and soooo much more comfortable.  I hunt on my ATV and have tried carrying on my back...no thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, a scabbard  would be better. I think the user will quickly find that out.   And keep magazine length short.  For hunting or pest/predator control, you don't need more than a 10 round mag.  If you do try to use a sling, a QD easily adjustable basic sling like the MS3 or MS4 would work best in two point mode.  But, I'll bet he will still be fiddling with it the whole time and will opt for some sort of scabbard or ATV rack before it is over.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I use VCAS and VTAC, but I keep the rifle in front.  It's not at all uncomfortable if you don't have a big charging handle latch digging into your sternum.  I like the rifle VERY tight against my chest.  Short magazines are better as they sometimes bang on the saddle horn/swells, but you can get around that if you're attached at the endplate rather than the stock.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
VTAC
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:07:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Padded VTAC. VTAC is better then the VCAS in adjustability which since you are riding, is most important
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Padded VTAC. VTAC is better then the VCAS in adjustability which since you are riding, is most important
View Quote

True, but you're going to have 4 foot of nylon dangling in the breeze to hang up on every limb, gate, and bush you ride past.

I bounce back and forth between the VTAC an VCAS.  Neither are perfect, and about every year or so I get sick of one and switch back to the other.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

True, but you're going to have 4 foot of nylon dangling in the breeze to hang up on every limb, gate, and bush you ride past.

I bounce back and forth between the VTAC an VCAS.  Neither are perfect, and about every year or so I get sick of one and switch back to the other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh? Doesn't your vtac tab run on a sliding loop to keep the tab from flopping around?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Heh? Doesn't your vtac tab run on a sliding loop to keep the tab from flopping around?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, my slings are older, before they added that option.  But if you use the tab, you lose the advantage in length of adjustment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're riding where there are trees/brush you'll be lucky if you don't get jerked off the bike/horse and/or get your neck broken.

Use a scabbard.  On your back you'll be tangling it up with branches as you ride by.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Saavy Sniper Slings
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top