Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/15/2014 1:44:10 PM EDT
I'm looking to upgrade from my Wal-Mart plugs and Howard light electronic muffs. Does anyone have recommendations for higher end ear protection? Do the foldable in-ear ones work well? I'm looking to spend about $300 total for a good set of in ear and ear muffs. I always wear double ear protection.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:06:02 AM EDT
[#1]
When I worked in the steel shop, I used little yellow foam plugs. You roll them to a small diameter, then push them in your ears. I used them for shooting all the time too, and they work very well. I still have selective hearing, I only hear what I want to hear. But seriously, they do work very well, IMHO anyway. I have never worn ear muffs, or anything similar.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I also only use the ear plugs. The ones I use are in a hexagonal shape. Same principle though and they work well in my opinion. About 2-3 per package of 12.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I worked in the steel shop, I used little yellow foam plugs. You roll them to a small diameter, then push them in your ears. I used them for shooting all the time too, and they work very well. I still have selective hearing, I only hear what I want to hear. But seriously, they do work very well, IMHO anyway. I have never worn ear muffs, or anything similar.
View Quote

Ditto..
Get a big box at Lowes.  They have higher decibel ratings than most shooting muffs.  I keep a set of muffs on hand to go over the plugs for really loud guns next to me.
Nice to have lots to share with people who forget.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are willing to invest $300 on ear pro, take a look at the TCI hearing protection:

TCI ear pro

Currently, they run for $395, but sometimes they have a special on them.

I have owned a whole bunch of electronic ear pro and I am very happy with these.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are willing to invest $300 on ear pro, take a look at the TCI hearing protection:

TCI ear pro

I have owned a whole bunch of electronic ear pro and I am very happy with these.

View Quote

These are re-branded MSA Sordin headsets. Cheaper to buy them here.

http://www.srstactical.ca/communications/supreme-range-headsets.html
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Good standard ear muffs have more attenuation than any of the electronic types.

For maximum protection wear plugs and good non-electronic muffs over the top.

I suggest the Bilsom Viking V3, or Leightning L3 muffs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TCI ear pro

Wrong... they are not the same.

I have owned both and only similarity is on the outside. The TCI units use the Sordin/MSA shell, but it is TCI electronics inside. The TCI stuff is better protected against moisture and I believe the NRR rating is better.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
WHAT??
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:31:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Peltor muffs with gel cups. They cost ~$300-400 but are well worth it. Very comfortable for long duration wear and very good hearing protection.

Always double with muffs and plugs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Msa sordin pro x w/ gel cups, or look on ebay for the  surplussed ones with the headset, can be found $150-175ish and cut off the boom and cable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I just use EAR 3 baffle cone ear inserts with Allen folding ear muffs. I'm not a fan of electronic muffs, nor have I ever needed them. Simplicity is your friend. Your hearing will adjust rapidly to the ear protection, and if you can't hear what people are saying (even with my inner AND outer protection), than you have more issues then hearing protection can solve.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top