Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2014 5:55:54 PM EDT
I Have a Saker 762 on the way and would like to purchase a wrap for said suppressor. I Have looked at TAB and Ironworks both and they do not recommend using them on AR platforms because of longer strings of fire. I have spoken to SilencerCo and they have assured me the trapped heat from a wrap will not harm the suppressor.
So i would like to hear from the experienced ones, where should i look to find a suppressor wrap suitable for long strings of fire?

Thank you, Eric
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Mutually exclusive requirement:  can covers aka anti-mirage covers are used to reduce heat signature/mirage when making slow, precision (aimed, at least) shots from a hot bore.  They are not made to withstand sustained full or semi-auto fire or to protect your hands.

If you need to handle a hot can, use an oven mitt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mutually exclusive requirement:  can covers aka anti-mirage covers are used to reduce heat signature/mirage when making slow, precision (aimed, at least) shots from a hot bore.  They are not made to withstand sustained full or semi-auto fire or to protect your hands.

If you need to handle a hot can, use an oven mitt.
View Quote

+ 100
Many folks don't understand what you have nicely summarized.  Unless you are making long distance shots at a very slow rate of fire, reducing the heat transfer around the can is NOT a good idea.  Mirage prevention is the only reason for doing it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I do understand that they are anti-mirage devices and that is what i intend on using it for. I shoot a lot, both short and long range. I would like to be able to shoot short range and long range without mirage. I understand that short range will not be effected but i often shoot long strings of fire with up close shots 15 yards all the way to 600 yards and would like to be able to shoot without a mirage. as i dont have the suppressor yet im not sure how bad it will be. Even in the army i never shot long strings with a suppressor so im not sure how bad it can get. I normally shoot over 60 rounds straight with out a break, and im not sure how long the can will keep heated but i can easily shoot more than 200 rounds in under an hour if im on it.

maybe i just need to wait until the suppressor comes in and try it out, but im that guy that likes to think ahead.

And i know that there are some companies who make wraps to withstand full auto as we housed them on our 240's down range and i know they got a lot of use without burning up. now was it made for a 240 not sure but we sure did slap them on them and use them so they wouldnt burn the heck out of our legs and arms etc
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Think of it from the other direction
Do you really want to capture damaging heat inside your (relatively) expensive, federally regulated, tool?
.mil doesn't have that issue to worry about

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
They can also protect you from touching a hot can to your body or a team member.  Or a car bumper etc.

Of course, this is what happens on a semi when you use a cover far outside it's intended use. Btw. This is 200yd aimed fire at night with a flir clip on

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They can also protect you from touching a hot can to your body or a team member.  Or a car bumper etc.

Of course, this is what happens on a semi when you use a cover far outside it's intended use. Btw. This is 200yd aimed fire at night with a flir clip on

http://youtu.be/ns0cjqUcgmo
View Quote

A great example of why I don't see much use for these tac-2-cool things in most applications.  Thanks Sean.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You actually helped put my trust together and i have seen this video from your facebook page. I know its just the bungies burning but there are many out there that dont have bungies.

And to those who say it will damage the suppressor.
I Have emailed the great guys/women over at silencerco and they have assured me that in no way will a wrap trapping the heat damage the suppressor. I did ask them what company they recommended and they said they do not have any particular brand they would recommend, I guess they dont work with any company so they didnt want to give out any names. That is why I came to the form to ask.

I guess none of yall recommend a wrap so i guess yall can just close the thread up since this is going no where.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Can cover?  Check out Armageddon Gear.  They make great nylon products.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can cover?  Check out Armageddon Gear.  They make great nylon products.
View Quote

Tom actually was kind enough to offer to replace that cover even though it was intentionally abused and misused.

I say buy Armageddon gear.  tom stands behind his products!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
They make a wrap that goes around telephone cables, gas lines, water lines, etc. so that when you are putting  a heat shrink on a cut cable your torch does not burn up other cables or pipes in the hole.   It looks like Burlap.  Have thought about getting one of these for a wrap to keep them from being hot to touch.   I don't believe this stuff burns easily.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe instead of a wrap you would be better served with a rigid mirage shade? I know Sinclair offers some for about $5 and plenty of people make their own with some thin aluminum sheeting like the kind used for old style verticle blinds or even corrugated metal roofing sheets plus a bit of Velcro.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I have since learned about bowers and their silicon covers. i think these might be a good fit for my application.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top