Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2014 10:15:00 PM EDT
Hey, I have a VTAC sling and recently have been running my AR hard. The sling has been coming undue at the ends. It pulls thru the tri glide buckle and it has fallen barrel first into the dirt once. My VTAC only has one tri glide buckle on each end, I noticed they show two on each end. If I buy some more tri glides should this fix the problem or does anyone have any other ideas to combat this problem ? Any suggests where to get tri glide buckles at ? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
once you get it assembled, route the slack back through the front-most slot of the front slider/buckle/whatever the hell that thing is called.

if it's frayed, either cut the frayed portion off with a hot knife attachment for a soldering iron, or cut it off with a knife, and fuse the end together with a lighter
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Post some pics of what failed. Words not your strong suit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post some pics of what failed. Words not your strong suit.
View Quote

I'm guessing he means that the whole front section of the sling slid out of the buckle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Check it out. Ignore that I have the sling corded up tight, thats just so I can place it in the rack in my car without the sling getting in the way. Basically, the ends (both ends) come loose and pull back through the buckle if that makes sense.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#5]
In your second picture...fold the tail end back thru the left side of the buckle and then cut off the end clean and burn/melt the end so it flares out...this will give it a little something extra to keep from coming back thru the buckle.  Should solve the problem.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 2:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
They come with two buckles per end for a reason.  This is completely an end-user induced issue.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They come with two buckles per end for a reason.  This is completely an end-user induced issue.
View Quote

Hence why I said I noticed online they sell with two buckles on each end, which mine didn't come with.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What an insightful solution.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Is yours the 5.11 marketed V-tac sling?

I have one that is from 5.11, the quality is not as good as the Vikings Tactics one.  I believe the 5.11 are made under llcense outside of USA.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
You're supposed to trim the sling and melt the ends. It even says so in the instructions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Blue force gear FTW
Open to a more permanent solution? Find someone to run a bartack over it

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Winner.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:22:43 AM EDT
[#13]
You have the sling in the tri-glide wrong.  The working end should be on the bottom, not the top.  Those buckles work on friction and the downward pressure from top strap keeps working end from moving out of buckle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You have the sling in the tri-glide wrong.  The working end should be on the bottom, not the top.  Those buckles work on friction and the downward pressure from top strap keeps working end from moving out of buckle.
View Quote

I 2nd this ^^^
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks to me like the real problem is that the metal buckle (tri-bar slide) is not appropriate for that thin slippery webbing. While the buckle is strong, it has wide spaces for the webbing to pass through and no raised sharp edges to catch the relatively hard and slippery webbing. So you absolutely must run the loose end after threading it BACK a SECOND time so that the tip points forward on the front and rearward on the rear. Or as an alternative you could fold over the tip about 1/2 inch and sew it. Even though it is not my brand, I'll be happy to have Caius send you some steel buckles that will be more secure. Just write Caius at [email protected], and he'll take care of you at no charge. I hate to see that nice rifle get damaged or worse!

Dave
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Blue force gear FTW
Open to a more permanent solution? Find someone to run a bartack over it

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Only slightly related, but I got tired of the metal buckle on my VTAC busting me in the lip and recently changed to a BluForce Gear Vickers sling. Shit. Is. Awesome.
It's a much sturdier sling to boot.
I'm a BFG convert
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#17]
My experience exactly.
I started out with 2 VTAC slings.
A friend had a BFG sling that was a significant step-up from my VTAC sling.
Ordered a BFG VCAS, and now have 4 on AR's and one on my 870.
BFG has it all over the VTAC.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]
rigger tape, or re-route tail thru bucle, or sew tail down with dental floss.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top