Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2014 2:18:29 PM EDT
I have a MOE vertical grip right now but for prone shooting I need a Bipod. Should I buy the Bipod by itself? They look cheaper if i go that route, as a college student I do not have that much disposable income.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend against it, you don't really need a bipod for the type of gun that you'd want a VFG on. That, and none of the grip pods offered are very good solutions, they are either low quality, too bulky for a VFG, or aren't very functional as a bipod. If you still want to try it, the only one I would recommend is the actual Grippod.

I would recommend looking up about improvised shooting rests, and work on perfecting your stances. Both are cheaper and are more efficient ways to improve your shooting abilities.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I see that you're in CA. I would've suggested just using the magazine as a support if you're using blocked/pinned 30rd mags. If not, then a bag or backpack under the hand guard would be a good support instead of buying dedicated shooting rests.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see that you're in CA. I would've suggested just using the magazine as a support if you're using blocked/pinned 30rd mags. If not, then a bag or backpack under the hand guard would be a good support instead of buying dedicated shooting rests.
View Quote

haha about that, I go to school in Arizona so I get to have the fun stuff, 42/30 round mags. I may however use my AR for deer hunting, I feel that I need a Bipod, with practice, to have an off the cuff accuracy out to 200 yards. I'd rather not lug around a shooting rest.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I think in most cases fwd grips suck and the ones with the little bipods suck even more. You never know what position you may be required to fire from at a given time/situation, so something that works great sometimes and sucks other times is just playing russian roulette. The ones with the bipod give the shooter a high profile in the prone (a good way to get shot in the head, and less stable for most shooters). The only time I used a gangsta grip was when using a cqb shorty upper for certain ops. In those cases, I used a Troy aluminum unit, because it could be used effectively as an impact weapon in confine spaces (and would knock out lots of teeth with the appropriate amount of force). Sometimes those grippy bipod things were put on weapons like the para SAW in lieu of the rattley  bipod that they come with. A lot of us (me included) used either the AFG or even the ergo hand stops and those rubber rail ladder things. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you think grips suck and bipod a suck, and you have no money, why in the hell do you want to combine all 3 of those problems into an accessory you think sucks that you spend money on?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would recommend against it, you don't really need a bipod for the type of gun that you'd want a VFG on. That, and none of the grip pods offered are very good solutions, they are either low quality, too bulky for a VFG, or aren't very functional as a bipod. If you still want to try it, the only one I would recommend is the actual Grippod.

I would recommend looking up about improvised shooting rests, and work on perfecting your stances. Both are cheaper and are more efficient ways to improve your shooting abilities.
View Quote

The grip pod is what you are looking for.

"Too bulky". Less bulky then every bipod, let alone a bipod and a vfg. Depends on the user, but I think it would be worth checking out for your needs. They are ugly, which is why you see them poo-poo'd a fair bit here.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Folks poo-poo them a lot, but you do see a number of them show up in pics here.

I've never really thought that a VFG and a bipod were two great tastes that taste great together; those seem like two very different setups.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you think grips suck and bipod a suck, and you have no money, why in the hell do you want to combine all 3 of those problems into an accessory you think sucks that you spend money on?
View Quote

The OP never posted he thought grips and bipods "suck", I think you're replying to the WRONG person (look closer).
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
whelp! Probably shouldn't drink & forum!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I've not tried one, but I thought the gen2 FAB T-pod looked like it had potential. It seems like their reputation was somewhat tarnished by people who bought cheap chinese knock-offs rather than the real thing:

http://www.themakogroup.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1042876&CAT=8718

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top