Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2014 7:16:00 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with the UTG DGrip? Seems like somewhat of an upgrade to the old flimsy Grip-pod. Thinking about trying one out. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TqCGxFilL._SL1500_.jpg
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a huge fan of VFGs or UTG, and I don't do much shooting off of a pod except for a couple bench rifles, but I considered picking one up to play with.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Do yourself a huge favor and stay away form UTG period,  I can not for the life of me why people buy this junk.  I have see more of this stuff fall apart at the range...

There was a guy at the range not long ago with a Fulton Armory AR with a UTG grip that would work loose every five shots.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
UTG's suck and Grip-Pods of any variety suck as well. They aren't good foregrips and aren't good bipods. If you actually NEED (evaluate whether you do or not....realistically) a bipod get a separate bipod (harris,gg&g,atlas) and a separate foregrip.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do yourself a huge favor and stay away form UTG period,  I can not for the life of me why people buy this junk.  I have see more of this stuff fall apart at the range...

There was a guy at the range not long ago with a Fulton Armory AR with a UTG grip that would work loose every five shots.

View Quote

The only exception I've seen to the usual UTG crap is the UTG Pro slim forend.  Having handled a few rifles with them, they are pretty solid.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Harris brms 6-9 and a LaRue mount. After you waste money on stuff that breaks or sucks, that's what you'll end up buying anyway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:40:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my grip pod and use it often if you get a real grip pod with metal inserts in the legs I don't think they are flimsy,
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love my grip pod and use it often if you get a real grip pod with metal inserts in the legs I don't think they are flimsy,
View Quote

They still suck as a foregrip and a bipod. There isn't a jack of all trades with these. Most could just use a bag as a rest and it would be fine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They still suck as a foregrip and a bipod. There isn't a jack of all trades with these. Most could just use a bag as a rest and it would be fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so what is an excellent grip and an excellent bi-pod which, together would be a good solution.

Not trying to be snarky but I'd like both on one of my ARs [I currently have the combo and agree with you].

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the Harris Bipod on the Larue or ADM mount or the GG&G XDS-2 with the built in accucam mount is pretty sweet.

The grip pods really fill a different role, they're primarily a front grip/hand stop, but in a pinch they're a bipod and don't weigh too much.

I used a grip pod in Iraq, but mostly I used it for stacking weapons without them falling in the dirt.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

so what is an excellent grip and an excellent bi-pod which, together would be a good solution.

Not trying to be snarky but I'd like both on one of my ARs [I currently have the combo and agree with you].

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Yup if you NEED the bipod a separate bipod is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thanks, but I was asking what is a good bipod to buy?  Something solid, functional and won't break the bank.  Think frugal, not cheap.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks, but I was asking what is a good bipod to buy?  Something solid, functional and won't break the bank.  Think frugal, not cheap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

A Harris bipod either BR-S (no notches) or BRM-S (notches) and a bipod adapter of choice. I am partial to GG&G  because they are state local but I know people have their preferences. I don't see a need for the QD either but that's your decision. Going the non-QD also makes it a bit cheaper. They also make direct mount bipods but they are more expensive than a Harris/Adapter combo. You might be able to find a used Harris as well that should keep the cost down.
Edit: One more thing if you are going to get a Harris is make sure to get a T-nuts pod-loc they are like $8 or something crazy cheap like that and I wouldn't have a Harris bipod without it. I like the Micro levers because they don't stick out very much and still give you the necessary leverage for the swivel.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top