Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2014 11:41:30 PM EDT
So I received my (long waited for) Magpul MSA QD moe sling attachment yesterday. It's well built, melonited, and of usual Magpul quality (good). However, they fail to mention one CRITICAL issue with it in it's description or advertising. The whole point of me going with this, is I wanted something non permanent that I could move or swap around when needed. This is NOT that. Once you find the location (moe slot) you like, you bolt on the QD mount, then..... DRILL a hole in your handguard to clear the QD post. wtf?
If I wanted to drill a hole, I'd have gone with a lower profile (and better thought out, as well as easier installing) Noveske QD flush mount. Instead of being exterior (what I'd thought it was) With the Magpul, you center it in the slot you like, then bolt it up, then DRILL out the hole, thus making that spot THE spot it will forever be (unless you like drilling multiple holes to be exposed where the mount no longer is)!
Seriously Magpul.... epic fail.
I'd return it, except it's not worth the trouble at $20, and I'll find some other use for it (such as mounting it on a stock or something.
Just a heads up for anyone looking at these.... this is a permanent mount that requires DRILLING the center hole out.

The part they forget to tell you in description/advertising:
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you be moving around your sling mount?
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Because I use different sling set ups. Some utilize a forward sling point, some utilize a more rearward sling point.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Because I use different sling set ups. Some utilize a forward sling point, some utilize a more rearward sling point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not utilize just one sling....
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I probably should, but now I have different set ups, that I swap lowers, and the lowers are set up differently. Example: sometimes I swap to a lower using a Magpul FCS stock which has a QD at the rearmost point, so then I like to run the sling to the "just in front of receiver" point. But I sometimes use that same upper with another lower which uses a receiver extension QD endplate, for which I like a forward (front of handguard) front sling point.
I know, I know... I should just convert all my stuff to one type, but I like the variety!
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Or you could just switch to a quad Picatinny rail, KeyMod, MLOK, or another handguard with an accessory system.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Or you could just switch to a quad Picatinny rail, KeyMod, MLOK, or another handguard with an accessory system.
View Quote

This does have an accessory system and it does work fine for most people. As noted however apparently OP has "special" needs....For his sling.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Went ahead and installed it anyway:

Overall impression: well built, functional, bulky (for something the requires drilling as in "almost flush"), and the rotation limitation is sloppy (lets more rotation than others I've used).
It's kind of goofy how it installs (uses separate "ears" that you thread into for each side on the back, then you have to drill out the center hole).
Nice product, but not nearly as nice (and simple) as a Noveske QD flush mount. I'm going back to the Noveske (which would have worked here too, with just the "center cut" and no silly ears to screw into to, and no bulk).
As I said, nice product, but compared to a Noveske (same cost), this is a mess.
And a note to Magpul: if you're going to go with a bulky (yet not "exterior") QD mount, the least you could have done was use a one piece backing plate (same shape as outer piece) instead of two separate "ears". And even better, just make it "exterior" (thicker outer piece), so you don't have to drill (since it's way too bulky for a "flush mount" anyway).
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I read, the Novesky mount also requires one to drill a 1/2" hole....
Quoted:
Went ahead and installed it anyway:

<a href="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/kmildhs/media/IMG_0579.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr286/kmildhs/IMG_0579.jpg</a>

Overall impression: well built, functional, bulky (for something the requires drilling as in "almost flush"), and the rotation limitation is sloppy (lets more rotation than others I've used).
It's kind of goofy how it installs (uses separate "ears" that you thread into for each side on the back, then you have to drill out the center hole).
Nice product, but not nearly as nice (and simple) as a Noveske QD flush mount. I'm going back to the Noveske (which would have worked here too, with just the "center cut" and no silly ears to screw into to, and no bulk).
As I said, nice product, but compared to a Noveske (same cost), this is a mess.
And a note to Magpul: if you're going to go with a bulky (yet not "exterior") QD mount, the least you could have done was use a one piece backing plate (same shape as outer piece) instead of two separate "ears". And even better, just make it "exterior" (thicker outer piece), so you don't have to drill (since it's way too bulky for a "flush mount" anyway).
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#9]
This review has motivated me to purchase one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought one a few weeks back from Brownells. I was a little surprised as well that I had to drill the MOE handguard, but I didn't think it was that big a deal. I didn't really plan on moving it around anyway. It has worked well and was worth the price IMO. I could always add a second one farther forward if I thought I really needed it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This does have an accessory system and it does work fine for most people. As noted however apparently OP has "special" needs....For his sling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are being obtuse and kind of annoying.  I have changed the locations of my sling connections based on changing the overall configuration or new gear being added.  It's not that hard to comprehend.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Dang, they even give you a small hole saw for the cut?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Then if you don't like the idea of having two holes in your handguard, you can simply buy two of these so you will look "super cool" in the photo thread. You can say they are ventallation mods as well as QD sockets. I mean really, is this that big of a deal? If it is flip a coin or choose a single sling position, I prefer mine as close to the receiver as I can get it, but I am not as anal as you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You are being obtuse and kind of annoying.  I have changed the locations of my sling connections based on changing the overall configuration or new gear being added.  It's not that hard to comprehend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love Magpul gear. I've been using it for over 10 years now so I have tried the MOE handguards but as well as they're made I don't like messing around with drilling holes to move things around which is why I've stuck to rail systems for years now.

If you need different sling points on the same handguard why not add multiple sling mounts?

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:05:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Dang, this thread is still going on? Look, I said it was a decent product, but didn't like how the "drilling" is kept very hush in the advertising and noticed some obvious areas that could be improved upon. I'm no Magpul groupie, but I do enjoy their, better thought out, products. This is not one of them. IMHO, they rushed this and left a few things to be desired (like the 2 separate "ear" backers, and by making it neither "flush" nor "external"). It's not as a good a design as it could have been. If you like it, great. I didn't. That's my own opinion. Sorry to offend the MP groupies, but too bad. Deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive got these on 2 rifles & love em!

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/rotation-limited-quick-detach-sling/

No perm mods. Bolt on.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#17]
these also work wonders if you want to stick a QD mount onto an A1/A2 stock, or really any hollow plastic stock that lacks a QD socket. just dremel down some of the internal foam, drill one hole and use the mount itself to mark the 2nd, from there installation is just like on a MOE handguard. stuck one on a ban-era Armalite A4 with a fixed stock and it works as good as or better than the sling mount on my MOE Rifle stock
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top