Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2014 4:34:32 PM EDT
Been a long time since I've bought a sling for an AR,but will need one since I've just got back into the game .My M4 is all Magpul'd out so I was thinking of one of theirs(haven't looked at them yet).I know preference of how many mounting points have changed over time like the weather,what's the popular style these days???
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Single point non bungee. Gearsector makes a good one as does OSOE. The only reason I don't like Magpul is if you wear a backpack. That adjustment thing can dig into your back.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
2 point rules all. I happen to prefer Vickers from BFG but there are many quality 2 point slings. Single points kinda suck unless you like clipping the weapon to your gear which isnt the best idea either.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for a 2 point. I currently use an Emdom Gunslinger and have zero complaints.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an SOE convertible and don't like it. Single point is not for me, but would probably work well on an SBR. When used as a 2 point, the adjustment tab is hard to work with.

I like the VTAC mK2 much better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2 point rules all. I happen to prefer Vickers from BFG but there are many quality 2 point slings. Single points kinda suck unless you like clipping the weapon to your gear which isnt the best idea either.
View Quote

This^
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Currently using a Viking Tactical padded 2-point in A'stan. I like the adjustability for the rate occasion that I have to wear armor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the blue force gear padded two point slings. Have them on three rifles and a shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Vtac padded..... I have two and use QD Sling swivels on them.  Works great...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got a rifles only FTW sling on a DMR rifle and really like it. Overkill if you're only going to put it on a carbine for blasting though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Can anyone give a comparison between the VTAC 2 point padded and a Proctor 'Way of the Gun' 2 point sling?  

Way of the Gun sling is discussed in this thread:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_19/648847_Way_Of_The_Gun_Sling.html

Thanks,

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the Larue padded and the VTac padded. I like them both, and essentially, they're the same sling. The upgraded Vtac has some nice  improvements over the Larue though. The covers for the buckles and excess strapping is a nice touch, as is the velcro attached slider for the pull tab section, that keeps it from flopping around as much.

Both are nice, and both are very comfortable and do exactly what they say they will.

Before the Larue, I gad an MS3, and didn't really like it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Does the VTAC come with the necessary hardware to attach it to the rifle?  Are additional components required to be purchased?  

Obviously I'm new and have no experience with slings
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does the VTAC come with the necessary hardware to attach it to the rifle?  Are additional components required to be purchased?  

View Quote

I just bought one of the VTAC padded slings from Primary Arms when they had their last sale.  I like the sling but it came without any hardware.  I used the hardware from my Magpul MS2 sling and am pleased.  The VTAC sling is pretty long, though, so I'm probably going to end up cutting some of the webbing off once I get it fully adjusted how I like it and have some time to be sure on the length.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup... Padded VCAS FTW!!!!1!!  
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I still feel a 2-1 is the best sling, but a 2 point with a fast adjuster can be used well when going from left to right shoulder with a lil practice.

Everything is a QD swivel now for attachment, but my dedicated 2 point uses paracord.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just bought one of the VTAC padded slings from Primary Arms when they had their last sale.  I like the sling but it came without any hardware.  I used the hardware from my Magpul MS2 sling and am pleased.  The VTAC sling is pretty long, though, so I'm probably going to end up cutting some of the webbing off once I get it fully adjusted how I like it and have some time to be sure on the length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what additional hardware is required?  And what is the best source/vendor for said hardware?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for the VTAC Mk2 wide padded sling. I used to use a Magpul MS3 and never looked back since I switched.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I still feel a 2-1 is the best sling, but a 2 point with a fast adjuster can be used well when going from left to right shoulder with a lil practice.

Everything is a QD swivel now for attachment, but my dedicated 2 point uses paracord.
View Quote

I feel the same way.

Get the Larue, Vickers, or VTac padded, then add the Tri-Glide to make it a 2 point / single point convertible. 75% of my shooting and carrying is better with the 2 point set up, so that was my initial driving factor in picking a sling, along with having a fatty tumor running across my back from my spine to my left shoulder which made a padded sling a must. Adding a Tri Glide for the single point option is only useful to me on rare occasion, but it will be nice to have.

Anything else that I own that doesn't have a pistol grip and a 30 round mag gets a Turner Saddlery 1903 Sling, or a Turner Saddlery NM Service Rifle Sling.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:13:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Magpul M3 for paraclips, M4 for QD cups.  Either is simple, rugged, easily adjusted, and quickly transition from 2 point to single point.  I usually run 2 point by default.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:24:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Magpul M3 for paraclips, M4 for QD cups.  Either is simple, rugged, easily adjusted, and quickly transition from 2 point to single point.  I usually run 2 point by default.
View Quote

Think i'll go with the M4,convertible option seems nice.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So what additional hardware is required?  And what is the best source/vendor for said hardware?  

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

All you need are the two components on the end of either side of the sling to attach to your rifle (i.e. quick detach or clips).  I just used the ones from my Magpul MS2 sling, so I don't knwo where the best source would be to get the hardware.  I'm actually in the process of looking into that myself, so I can use the MS2 sling on the AR pistol I just finished.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#23]
another vote for the vcas  padded sling  with qd  and tri glide
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Emdom Gunslinger.

It's as if the VTAC and the VCAS had a lovechild. By far the best sling I've tried to date, to include the VTAC and the VCAS.

http://www.optactical.com/emgusl.html

http://www.skdtac.com/Emdom-E-MM-Gunslinger-Sling-p/e2m.101.htm
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#25]
has anyone used any of the Tab Gear slings?
seem a little overpriced, at $75 for a two point
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I use a Viking VTAC on my 870, but the Vickers sling is my fav.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#27]
it's a sling, not a purse.  use one that assists you.

buying a piece of equipment because it's fashionable basically turns you into Nikki Minaj with a gun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not ubür tacticool but the Magpul MS3 w/ QD is pretty savvy...

2pt conversion is nice when setting up targets whether flung around to your back or cinched tight to the front...  And a simple 2sec move turns it into a single point crotch rider for tacticoolness and making sidearm readiness a breeze...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another vote for Vtac padded..... I have two and use QD Sling swivels on them.  Works great...
View Quote

this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#30]
IMO, you can't go wrong with a 2 point vtac.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
another vote for the vcas  padded sling  with qd  and tri glide
View Quote

I'm average size (5' 9", 175), and I can't adjust the padded VCAS enough for it to fit me.  I've been using a non padded VCAS and a padded VTAC, which have plenty of adjustment.

I actually prefer the VTAC, except for the 4 foot of tail flopping around, catching on brush, and dragging through the mud.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#32]
If the tail is too long, either cut & burn or use some tape.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Any length is too long if you're doing more than walking around a range.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top