Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/13/2014 6:56:22 PM EDT
Couldn't find a relevant section for this or any search results. I'm looking at ar500 gongs for 233/566 use. I have two options 1/4" and 3/8". I know little to nothing about this steel. What would be the minimum distance before I start damaging the steel?  Is 3/8 necessary for 223? Also is there a way to verify that's it's actually ar500? Just do a density/weight test?  I was thinking of buying plates but heard it's ridiculously hard to work without a plasma table so that's out of the question. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
100 yards and beyond is fine for .223 non steel core. The best prices I have found are here.  
http://www.thetargetman.com/product-category/ar500-shooting-targets/

Eta 3/8" works for me...
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]
3/8" is more than plenty for 556
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
3/8" is more than plenty for 556
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm using 3/8" ar500 targets with Tula 223 and at 50 yards there will be a VERY small dimple, 100 yards and out there is nothing. I got mine from here http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=1020
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a but load of the targetMans targets... Gongs, Texas walkers, more gongs, IPSC, Dueling tree, most of all are 3/8.. I have shot the living shit out of them and they hold up fine,, we have shot them up to 25 yards give or take., just dont shoot them dead on, or you will be picking copper out of your person... I've bounced them around with my 300WM at 100yrds and the ring just fine.. So, As far as 223/556 your golden.,

I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these next..

FWIW, I know he used to run group buys here on ARFCOM... I picked up some armor plate on one f those buys..
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. All that clarified my questions. All I knew is that I needed to use that steel. Anyone have experience drilling holes in it to hang? Or should I not even waste my time and just weld on some hooks?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys. All that clarified my questions. All I knew is that I needed to use that steel. Anyone have experience drilling holes in it to hang? Or should I not even waste my time and just weld on some hooks?
View Quote

If you can weld hooks, do it, I have to replace bolts and chain all the time when I bring less experienced shooters.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm using 3/8" ar500 targets with Tula 223 and at 50 yards there will be a VERY small dimple, 100 yards and out there is nothing. I got mine from here http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=1020
View Quote

This is what I have too. M193 55gr will leave only the tiniest pock marks at 100yrs.

We shot it the day before hunting season 3 yrs ago and .30-06 and below just smeared the paint. Now the 250 gr 8 mm Magnum really reared the stand back and made the gong swing like a maniac. But it left a mark hardly bigger than the m193. That was fun to watch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you can weld hooks, do it, I have to replace bolts and chain all the time when I bring less experienced shooters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a bag of bolts and extra links of chains to replace stuff that gets damaged when someone nails it with their AR.. I have a bunch of friends that are LEO, and the local "SWAT" team came out and shot at my range, ran their new SBR's hard they did... Not a bolt was cut nor chain.. However when shooting metal, Close range spualling is the suck and will leave a mark,, Use your glases..  Those JBT left me with a metric but load of brass to clean up, 556 and 40.. Put my kids to work I did...
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a bag of bolts and extra links of chains to replace stuff that gets damaged when someone nails it with their AR..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a bag of bolts and extra links of chains to replace stuff that gets damaged when someone nails it with their AR..

Oh, trust me, I bring extra of that stuff and make them change it. :)
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I got these and they're great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121203357509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
No drilling, no welding required. Free shipping, too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow......just wow. $125 for three pieces of 1/2" steel?  I am in the wrong line of work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I took a 6" diameter 1/2" thick A36 standard steel disc and was shooting it at 200 yards with 223 and 556.  Never more than a good dimple in it.  Next plan is to make some 3.6" in diameter to practice distancing with my mil dot scope.  And I do have a plasma table.  Its alot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wow......just wow. $125 for three pieces of 1/2" steel?  I am in the wrong line of work.
View Quote

AR500 plate is expensive. Last I checked (a few years ago) a 4'x8' 1/2" thick sheet was over $1500 before tax. Once you figure in the time to properly cut the targets out it's even more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:56:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

AR500 plate is expensive. Last I checked (a few years ago) a 4'x8' 1/2" thick sheet was over $1500 before tax. Once you figure in the time to properly cut the targets out it's even more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.  The proper way to cut it is underwater, to reduce the annealing of it as much as possible.  Not exactly garage type work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Call me cheap, but I DO believe I will find something else to shoot.  Unless I'm missing something. Which is quite possible. Lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Call me cheap, but I DO believe I will find something else to shoot.  Unless I'm missing something. Which is quite possible. Lol
View Quote

If you buy quality targets and don't abuse them they should last you many many years. You will destroy mild steel targets and as they begin to dimple you run the risk of a ricochet.

I put off buying quality targets for a good while and now that I have them I wish I would have done it sooner.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Steel provides instant feedback, easy to know you hit at long distances and sounds cool lol

Great for pistol practice as you don't have to change targets every 20-30 rds to know if you hit it

Love steel
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top