Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2014 5:47:54 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good primer on how to buy AR 500 targets.  I want them for handgun and 5.56 cal drills.  It looks like 3/8" plate will be adequate, so I think that I am that far along.  I am asking what should I look for in the way of specifics when buying targets.  If I had the cash, I would just go out and spend a truck load on MGM targets.  Proven designs and by a reputable dealer.  

I'm looking to buy targets from one of the smaller vendors and save some money but want to get the most for my cash.  I see plasma cut, submerged plasma cut, CNC laser cut targets etc.  Looks like the CNC laser cut targets effect the heat treating the least???

What kind of mounting apparatus?  I see one, two and three hole designs, some with ears, some meant to be mounted with carriage bolts, some with chains, some with a hook welded on the back.

The question is what should I be looking for specifically when buying AR500 targets?  I don't want to spend the cost of a new handgun only to figure out that I should have bought something else.  

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have couple of AR500 plates I got 5 years ago when someone was selling them as body armor (8x8)

I have shot them up to 300 win mag and they are still holding.

Don't shoot penetrators.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad that your purchase worked for you.  I'm looking for suggestions on what specific features to look for when investing in steel targets.  Do you guys like single hole targets that can either go on a T post or mounted on a 2X4 or something that can swing on chains?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer double hole targets that can swing.  I don't think my local range would like me driving T-posts into the ground.  I picked up everything in the photo below except for the rebar from JC Steel Targets.  The Conveyor belt has held up to some errant shots, whereas a chain might not.  I made a carrier for the 5 pieces of rebar using some PVC pipe and end-caps.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I cut my targets on a waterjet, with plasma and laser there will be a heat affected zone. Laser is better than plasma, but with waterjet there is no haz. 3/8" will work fine for what you want to do, just be aware that with the rifle at 100 yards, 5.56 will leave a bit of a pock mark. Distance is your friend with high velocity, the farther the better. I like to put ears on my round targets so the diameter of the target is uninterrupted  by the hanger. Shepard's hooks work well for hanging targets and are cheap and portable. The IDPA targets in this pic hang off a single 1/2" carriage bolt. The stand has a socket for for an angle iron post with a bracket welded on top. Arntzen Targets makes a folding stand that works well for hanging larger targets, if you need a stand that takes very little space when folded. As far as welding hooks to targets, I won't do that. You are then limited to only using one side of the target. If you beat up a side of a target that hangs with bolts, simply turn the target around and use the other side.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking targets, PM sent.

Thanks for the comments
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I just wanted to do a follow up on this thread after going through the target selection process.  I ended up with three 10" round, Steel Challenge types of targets and two 2/3 IPSC style targets.  All of the targets that I bought are made from 3/8" AR500.  I have a favorites folder now titled AR500 and it has 9 links in it for vendors of targets.  

After all of the research and study I ended up buying from Arntzen Targets out of Rockford, IL.  They are not a Johny come lately and have been in the target business since 1989.  The pricing was very competitive and the product is top notch.  Check out the website if you like:  http://www.arntzentargets.com/index.htm  Please note, that I have no business relationship with this company besides being a satisfied customer.  I spoke to the owner and felt very comfortable working with Arntzen targets.  They have some cool videos on YouTube.

If you are just starting your search for places to buy quality steel there are many out there: Action Target, Arntzen Targets, Grizzly, JC Steel Targets, MGM, Redstitch and Shoot Steel are some of the places that I investigated.  Google these other sites since there is much to learn.  I think that they all have some thing valuable to bring to the table.

I didn't buy target stands and am now working on my own.  More to follow on these.  I also did a nice search on what paint to use.  Bottom line on the paint was the cheapest isn't a value since it's so thin that it runs and you have to use more of it.  Ended up buying Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover in Primer for the first coats and White Flat for touch ups.  

Any other steel target information that you would like to share, feel free to post it here.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Be sure to share what you come up with for stands. That's my next project.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top