Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2014 1:04:45 PM EDT
I'm new to this forum and to AR's in general.  Just built my first AR and am trying to decide on a sling. I have some experience with 2 point slings, but I've noticed a lotof the pics on here have single point slings. Just wondering if any of you that have them can give me some of the resons why you decided to go that route.  Any helpwould be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a 2 point guy!

I don't care for the fact that you can't go hands free with a single point without loosing muzzle control.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
That has always been my thought as well and why I've always used 2 point slings on other rifles. I just noticed a lot of people that have the single point slings and wondered if I was missing something.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The Outdoor Connection has a sling called the Edge in their Max-Ops line. It can be draw up to full retention but has enough elasticity to push out for a quick shot if needed.

Edge
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I use magpul slings.   Can be 2 point or single point.  Best of both worlds
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one of the Magpul slings on my SKS, and have been really happy with it I usually use it as a 2 point sling. I was just trying to decide if I wanted to use that one with the AR, get a second, or get a diffrent one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a 2 point guy as well. I prefer the way it holds the rifle higher and IMO more secure than a single point setup. I have a magpul and a Blue Force Gear sling. Both work well but the Blue Force Gear is much more comfortable and easier to adjust IMO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
2 Point for sure.  Try running around and climbing over shit with a single point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I love convertible 2 to 1 point slings. Used a Magpul MS3 on my last deployment. Now I'm running a BFG VCAS with an IWC 2to1 point triglide. Single point is best when actively shooting. It provides weapon retention, but the sling does not hinder you when getting down in prone, switching to support side, or when trying to get in to unconventional positions. However, 2 point provides much better retention. The muzzle doesn't dangle and hit your legs. When you take a knee, the muzzle doesn't go straight in to the ground, and it's much easier to work with your hands with a 2 point sling.

This is why I love convertible slings. Whenever I'm actually making movement on a patrol, I'm in single point. This gives me the ability to rapidly employ my weapon. If I come up to obstacles I either detach my sling or go to 2 point to climb, jump, or whatever. However, when it's time for me to do work with my hands, I go 2 point. This keeps my weapon on me and ready to employ, yet has enough retention that it doesn't hinder me working with my hands or getting on my knees.

I'd say for a general purpose sling, go with a 2 point. If your looking for sling for actively shooting like shooting courses or 3 gun type shooting, go single point. For the best of both worlds, get a convertible. Slings are a lot like holsters. They are personal choices, and you'll probably end up with a box full of slings before you settle on something you like.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I only run 2 point slings now.  I tried a 1 point sling and got tired of getting hit in my wedding tackle every time I had to go hands free with my rifle and run, climb over something and not to mention even trying to low crawl with it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
2-point VTAC. So many things you can do with it, plus it's really comfortable. The company made a video of different things you could do with it and shows you how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#12]
1 pts are cool until you actually need to carry your carbine everywhere you go.

2 pt all the way and if you still think you may want a 1 pt get a convertible sling.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the biggest reasons why someone may want a one point is because it's easier to transition between shoulders. I haven't had that problem if you just wear your sling around your neck. I don't put an arm through it. I'd go 2 point personally.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Two point FTW!

(add QDs and a tri-glide for the best of both worlds)
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#15]
2 pt

But if you are going QD, as others have mentioned you don't have to choose....the tri glide mentioned above is one option, as is the Magpul 2:1 (MS1 to MS4) buckle.

The Magpul comes with an integrated swivel.  

Either the tri glide or the Magpull buckle will work, and you can have the flexibility/fun of trying both.

There are similar solutions that give you the same 2:1 flexibility for non QD attachment methods as well.

If you aren't sure....get something that allows you to go either way and decide for yourself what you like better IMO, and have fun while doing it.

EDIT:   Ha, I just noticed this thread is not new (revived from feb), and that the OP came back in to say he already had a magpul 2 point.

If your existing 2 point sling is the MS1 with a clip, consider this.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 2:00:00 AM EDT
[#16]
2-1 is the best imo.

I use a Magpul MS3 but also wanting to try a VTAC with a 2-1 mod.

ETA: 1 point mode for indoors and 2 point for outdoors.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#17]
We'll guy I gotta say it depends on preference, some like single point slings and some like two point slings, and some even like three point slings, but since the question is which between single and two point slings, I'll answer that question the best I can...   As for the reason to use a single point slng, it gives you a wider range of motion and control in standing, kneeling, or prone positions, so it gives you a larger range of movement, control and maneuverability of the weapon when firing or moving and stuff like that, but a two point slng is better for carrying the weapon when not firing because the two attachment points hold the weapon more stable and against the body and doesn't swing around knocking things over or banging against your legs or sides and stuff like that so for more stability when carrying the rifle it's better to have more solid control of the weapon but for shooting and changing from strong side to weak or off side you'll want a single point sling for this type situation. With the MS sling series you have both scenarios covered no matter what your specific need is at any given moment or situation. Brownelles has a YouTube video showing the MS1-MS4 sling series which shows you the versatility of the sling system, one of the biggest differences between the MS1 and MS3/4 slings is that the MS1 uses a sliding attachment on the body of the sling and the MS3/4 slings have a loop on the sling body that you can hook with your thumb to adjust length without missing a step so you can tighten or loosen the slng if you need more or less slack or need it tighter agains the body, and it works equally well in either one point or two point configurations, the MS1 also adjusts just as easily as the loop setup but you don't have the big loop sticking out, but each have their PRO's and CON's so again it depends on what you like and what you need but either way you can pretty much fill any need with the Magpul MS sling series. If money is a problem then order the less costly MS1 and then next payday order the attachments you need, the standard MS1 runs between $25.00 and $30.00 on average, the attachments range from $10.00 to $20.00 give or take a few bucks and can be purchased from several different websites from Amazon to brownelles and my favorite Valhalla Tactical supply so if you haven't already purchased either a one or two point sling then kill two birds with one sling and you'll be very happy with the wide range of options available to you

The only way to tell which you'll like best or which serves your needs best is to try each type, however if your unsure and instead of buying two seperate slings why not just buy  one that fills both roles? I've tried about every type sling 1, 2, 3 point slings but it's a toss up between the single and two point slings because typically one sling doesn't fill both roles but with the Magpul MS series slings they do, as of now they have the MS1, MS2, MS3, and MS4 sling systems with several configuration options for each model. So what I did was order a Magpul MS3 series sling which can be configured to either one or two point configurations, There is also the question of what your weapon is set up for? Nowadays most stocks and receiver end plates and fore ends can work with QD=Quick Detach or single point loop or Ambi loop on the receiver end plate, Magpul offers several versions and several adapter options, I first ordered the MS3 with paraclips, one end with the paraclip attaches to my Ambi receiver end plate on either side and the paraclip on the other end can attach to a ring above the first paraclip for single point option, or to a forward sling loop for a two point option and if you don't like the paraclip type they make a single QD and paraclip, or dual QD or a combination of the two so that solves the question of either or because you have both. I also ordered the original MS1 sling which does not come with any attachments, it's made to use with military type front and rear sling loops, however you can order several different attachments for whatever you like or need, so I ordered one of each type attachments so I can swap things around to fit any need at any time and since I have more then one AR rifle I have two very versatile sling systems that work for any configuration I need at any time.. Magpul also makes a few mounts to go with their slings, they offer two rail mounted options that mount to your picatinny railed Handguards, they make a rail mounted sling loop for the paraclip type adapter and a rail mounted QD mount which is extremely nice because your not confined to the standard front sight sling loop and you can place these mounts anywhere on your railed fore end you like, top, bottom, left, right, the front or rear or middle on your Handguards so it's nice to be able to place the mounts where they work best for you specifically. The newest AR I built has a 16" inch carbine barrel and I used a Midwest Industries T9 monolithic quad rail which is just over 9" inches long which means I don't have a front sight tower with sling loop, and I wanted it this way so I could use an extended quad rail instead of the standard 7" inch carbine set and I used a low profile gas block so the QD rail mount was the perfect option for me and the new rifle and I can mount any configuration of the MS slings any where and any way I want to., yes Magpul can be a little more expensive then other manufacturers but for the quality and versatility they are one of the best on the market and have items for almost any budget and to fit any need.

So if you can't decide which then start with the MS1 sling and order the seperate attachments to fit whatever your preference or weapon configuration will allow and then customize it from there. I am using the MS1 with dual QD adapters but can change either or both ends whenever I need to, they also come in Black, OD Green, and FDE or Coyote Tan and the adapters and connectors also come in matching colors, since the general theme of my newest AR build is black and FDE/Tan I went with a matching color for the sling..

One last thing, even though Magpul can be a little more expensive then some brands, there are much more expensive brands that stole parts of magpuls designs and are selling similar slings for two and three times the price of magpuls setups but they do not offer all the adapters and fittings and mounts as Magpul does, if you buy a cheaper similar sling then be careful because a lot are made to handle only soft air rifles or AEG type play toys, I'm a firm beleiver in you get what you pay for and if something is a copy of a name brand and charging much more then your getting screwed, and if you buy a chaper knockoff then your asking for the product to fail, also be cautious of anything that says Magpul PTS, because even though it says Magpul ITS NOT MADE BY THEM!!!!!  These items are licensed cheaper made knockoffs so stay away from anything Magpul that has PTS in the description because some less then honest sellers will try to pass off these items as being made and sold by Magpul and saying they are of the same quality when they are not

Anyway I hope this information will help you decide what you need, or at least explain a little bit of what each type sling is used for? So good luck and have a great day

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2-point VTAC. So many things you can do with it, plus it's really comfortable. The company made a video of different things you could do with it and shows you how to do it.
View Quote

+1 on this.  I have 2 of them and love them.  Single point bounces around too much for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I use the Tactical Link Convertible Bungee Sling, it can be 1 or 2 point.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Magpul MS3 best of both worlds
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:39:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I run the Blueforce Gear VCAS padded along with the Molded Burnsed Socket for the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#22]
What about a 3 point sling? Best of both worlds?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Blackhawk single point sling all the way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
VTAC for reasons as stated above.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought an SOE convertible to try out both and hated single point. You can do the same to see what suits you best. If I had an SBR, probably single point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

They don't work too well on an AR though
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Going to try a dedicated 2 point sling made by Frank Proctor.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 3:34:55 AM EDT
[#28]
IWC mount-n-slot 2 to 1 conversion ftw

IWC mount-n-slot 2 to 1 conversion woven in a hand made para cord sling FTMFW

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:37:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I got my 2 point Proctor sling, and I now understand why so many people love a quick adjust 2 point. With proper training you can easily switch shoulders and shoot from your support side.

I still think a quick adjust 2-1 is the best option, but I am happy with the Proctor for $40 bucks, and there is no mounting hardware needed since it uses paracord.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

worst of everything.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top