Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2013 12:00:24 PM EDT
How much pressure would it take to break the part on the lower where the buffer tube screws into. i tightened mine just a little bit past hand tight and used red loctite. i am going to stake it todyay.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you asking?
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i tightened mine just a little bit past hand tight and used red loctite.
View Quote

If you used red loctite on the receiver extension threads, you are likely going to regret this decision.

Not really sure what you were asking in that post.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
i am asking how much pressure would it take for one to torque a castle nut so tight that it breaks the lower receiver on the are that the buffer tube threads in..?
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i am asking how much pressure would it take for one to torque a castle nut so tight that it breaks the lower receiver on the are that the buffer tube threads in..?
View Quote

. Alot a whole lot. Get it tight with a whench stake it and be done. Stop over thinking stuff. Also get a AR Armorers guide it will have torque specs if you decide to "work on" any thing els.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
ok thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
you have been asking some very ridiculous questions which leads me to believe you have almost zero mechanical knowledge.  my suggestion to you is that you STOP and read some of the stickies or get yourself an instruction manual.  asking these types of questions indicates to me that you are not doing things properly.  i'm not trying to insult you, but it seems you are blindly trying to assemble a rifle or rifles and if you aren't doing things properly, you could hurt yourself or damage your rifle.

just like your question about how much torque it would take to "stretch the threads on the barrel by tightening the muzzle device"...

my response here is you are once again improperly assembling something if you are worried about "how much torque is too much".  the castle nut should be torqued to 40+/- 2 ft lbs per spec sheets...no more, no less.  why do you care how much torque beyond that will break something?  you shouldn't tighten beyond torque specs, torque specs are there for a reason.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top