Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2012 7:08:23 AM EDT
What does everyone think is the best place to mount
the front part of your sling on the handguard...all the way
forward towards the gas block or all the way back towards
the receiver?
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Sling mounting is a very subjective/personal thing and what may be "best" for one person isn't necessarily the "best" for another. It also depends a lot on how your rifle is set up and it's intended use. I personally like mine mounted like this. I like it mounted forward so I have plenty of room for different hand positions on the handguards. I also tend to wrap my thumb around the sling mount as a hand stop when I'm using the light.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I also like to mount mine where The_Hammer does... left side, on the front of a carbine-length handguard (which is the same as putting it in the middle of a rifle-length handguard).  I haven't seen very many other people who do it that way... it is more popular to put it on the left rear of the handguard, near the receiver, so you don't grab sling when you grip it up front.  The reason I like the sling to attach in front of where I grip is because 1) I also use the sling mount as a hand stop, and 2) because I like to be able to use the sling as a marksmanship aid when I need a little more precision, which requires it attaching somewhere in front of your hand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I mount a Vtac sling to the left rear QD attachment point of my handguard.  I set up my sling so I can grab the sling adjuster/tightener and pull it forward while I take my grip towards the front of the handgaurd.  This cinches it tight in one movement (while mounting the gun).
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer mine as far forward on the handguard as possible to allow room for my big meat paws on the handguard . But it should be how YOU like it not how others do it . Its all personal preference .
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Is there anyone who could give me a reason not to put a sling point in the 6 o'clock position about 2" from the magazine well?  Anywhere else and the rail section is in the way of my grip.  I have a smaller rail section(2") and, a moveable sling socket.  Don't really care to spend 30.00 for a flush mount when I already have two different mounting options.  Never see slings mounted like this on the picture threads around here; I figure there is a reason.  The other end of the sling is on the rear of the stock in swivel socket.
pic:  

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/r45d/Untitled-3.jpg
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#6]
The best for me is aft of the handguard on the weak side.

It keeps the optic and magazine from angling inward, getting hung up on gear or digging into my midsection.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Like everything else, its preference. Im right handed, and I like my front sling attachment on the left side of the hand guards, near the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Entirely personal preference - I mount mine at the "L17" position on the KAC RAS - neither all the way back, but not forward.  Just what works best with my selection of accessories, gear, and hand placement.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is there anyone who could give me a reason not to put a sling point in the 6 o'clock position about 2" from the magazine well?  Anywhere else and the rail section is in the way of my grip.  I have a smaller rail section(2") and, a moveable sling socket.  Don't really care to spend 30.00 for a flush mount when I already have two different mounting options.  Never see slings mounted like this on the picture threads around here; I figure there is a reason.  The other end of the sling is on the rear of the stock in swivel socket.
pic:  

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/r45d/Untitled-3.jpg

If you attach your sling to the bottom of the rail, doesn't your rifle try to flip up-side-down when carrying???  Attaching the sling to the left side of the handguard and top or left of the buttstock allows the rifle to lay flat against your body.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe so I haven't tried to run around or walk around for that matter with it this way.

Thanks, that is why I asked here

Edit:  So I went to the range with the rifle slung this way.  I will say that for me (I am left handed)  it is great.  When the rifle does "roll" over the forward assist doesn't dig in my chest/abdomen anymore and, it took either bending at the waist or vigorous movement with out controlling the rifle to cause the rifle to turn over.  The pistol grip is on the wrong side when it does flip but, simply grabbing the rifle with the support hand first allows for smooth transition. Also the swivel socket position allows for the sling to be used as a shooting aid quite easily.

Sling position is all about preference; who would have thought?
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top