Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/24/2011 6:11:10 PM EDT
Would a bayonet fit correctly on a 16" barrel with an intermediate gas system?
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
A bayonet will fit just fine on a 16" midlength AR.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#3]

This is the fit of a standard M7 bayonet on my midlength gas system 16" barrel, other bayonets shown are USMC OK-3S bayonet on top and another M7 Imperial at bottom.

Quoted:

Standard bayonets would not fit correctly on a 16" barrel with intermediate gas system, take a look at my picture with a midlength gas system same barrel length of your question.

If you would move the bayonet forward toward the muzzle approximately 1.5", the muzzle ring of the bayonet will not contact the flash suppressor (I'm using a longer than a standard A2 flash suppressor).

However you could shorten the handle of the standard bayonet and as long as the muzzle ring of the bayonet is attached to the muzzle device, then it would work.

Most of the intermediate gas system that I know the gas hole are generally located 1.5" toward the chamber compared to a rifle gas system.

What is the location of the gas port on the barrel of the intermediate gas system that you are talking about compared with a rifle gas system?

Happy holidays

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.  So I guess if I wanted to attach one it might just be better to the the 14.5" M4 SBR which would fit as designed.... correct?
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Here's a standard USMC OK-3S bayonet mounted correctly on 14.5" M4 carbine gas system barrel (not mine, pic from quarterbore).

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  So I guess if I wanted to attach one it might just be better to the the 14.5" M4 SBR which would fit as designed.... correct?

Correct, see the picture.

For more info on various modern bayonets visit Quarterbore.net.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or avoid NFA all together with a mid-length and get an extra 2" of handguard to boot.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or avoid NFA all together with a mid-length and get an extra 2" of handguard to boot.

+1

Also add in the ability to remove your flash hider and install a muzzle brake or another flash hider. In addition, it's good to take off your muzzle brake/flash hider once in a while to check for rust as solvents and all kinds of nasty can get trapped in there like this poor fella from another thread:

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top