Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2010 5:47:57 PM EDT
I am looking to mount a bipod on my rifle, and i was wondering what the best bipod would be for bench and prone shooting. I know Harris makes excellent ones, but I was wondering if there were any particular models that stand out from the rest?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 12:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally like the 6-9" harris with notched legs and the swivel.  I believe it is the BRM-S model (or S-BRM... something like that).  Also make sure to add some sort of a pod lock device (which makes it easier to lock up the swivel compared to the standard small textured nut that harris uses).  Larue makes a nice design with a quick detach mount for the AR-15.  It's basically a harris BRM-S with all unnecessary parts removed (that would be used for mounting to other rifles) and with the addition of a larger locking knob for the siwvel and Larue's QD system.  That is the one I'm personally planning to buy (once I save up the coin).  For now I'm just using a rest... as I want to just buy a rail adapter and swab over one of my other harris pods.  The 6-9" puts my tactical bolt guns at the correct height for shooting from a bench or prone.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#2]
if i buy a larue one is there any need to buy a pod lock for the bipod too?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Atlas bipods, much lighter than Harris.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
if i buy a larue one is there any need to buy a pod lock for the bipod too?

Naah you should be fine with the knob that larue includes.  The primary reason that everyone likes the podlock is that it makes it much easier to actually lock up the bipod swivel.  A stock harris bipod has a small knob to do this, but it's hard to get the necessary force on that little knob by hand.  The podlock turns it into a ratcheting lever type of deal.  I believe that larue uses a large knob (quit a bit larger by comparison).  I'm sure they guys there make sure it works just fine before they put their name on it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I follow. Hey thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The Larue set up is great......I have three and they are real well made and thought out......

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I like my Larue version of the BRM-S.  6-9", swivel, notched legs....works great.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Rock Creek SOPMOD Bipod It's pretty solid, all metal, with no exposed springs. Only complaint is that the QD is a little sloppy. It's practically a bayonet though aswell.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 2:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Atlas bipods are the best; they have every feature and then some that the competition has and are even lighter weight!  Their is a backorder for them usually though, and are a little pricier.. but you asked for the best and that is hands down Atlas.  LaRue makes a mount for them as well (LT171)
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]
depends on the rifle but my pick on all guns with a bi pod is the grip pod
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
What about the versa pods? Seen a few used, but not many. They look cool with the raptor feet
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I've spent a good bit of time with the LaRue modified Harris and will be buying one of my own. It's solid, reliable, easy on and off and does everything i need it to do. Now if I could just convince my cousin he really doesn't want his....
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top